NEWS Cavalry coming for Broncos, but Raiders first: Walters

BHQArticleImageLarge20

Kevin Walters says a quartet of injured stars should be back next week for Brisbane, but first the side must negotiate an in-form and dangerous Canberra outfit.

Walters, who won the first of his six NRL premierships as a Raider in 1989, said prop Payne Haas (knee), winger Deine Mariner (back), captain Adam Reynolds (hamstring) and second-rower Brendan Piakura (ankle) were all tracking to be fit for the round-eight clash with Wests Tigers.

"(Haas) will be right for next week," Walters said ahead of Saturday night's home clash with the Raiders.

"Adam is running well, which excites me, and he will be right for next week.

"Jock (Madden) is in there again at half and he has been working hard on his game to get it right for us, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops tomorrow.

"Brendan looks like he will be good and Deine, so that's next week, but we have to get through this week first. We need a strong performance at home in front of our fans."

In the 1990s the Raiders and Broncos had classic confrontations on their way to winning six titles between the two clubs.

Last year the Raiders beat the Broncos 20-14 at Suncorp Stadium in a brutal encounter.

"They are well coached, have some really good players in their group and have had a good start to the season, but we're up for the challenge," Walters said.

"I remember back to the 1990s some of the great games between the Raiders and Broncos, and this one will be no different. It will be a great contest and one we are looking forward to, particularly with our forwards.

"Canberra have a tough side and are very gritty, so it will be a good experience for our fellas."

The Broncos have missed the work-rate and impact of Haas, but Walters has been delighted with the progress of tyro prop Xavier Willison.

Fellow props Corey Jensen and Fletcher Baker will need to fire against the Raiders pack and support lock and stand-in captain Pat Carrigan.

"Patty has been leading the pack, but he has been well supported by the other guys and this game is another great opportunity for those guys to excel at home," Walters said.

"And just be very disciplined and doing the little things in the game like running hard and making your tackles and being effective."

Canberra Times

Interesting how an injury hit like this can create a real positive for a club by exposing second tier players to first grade..

A few weeks ago when this handful of top guys went down, we all wondered how the broncos would cope.. fast forward to now and suddenly our squad looks a lot deeper than it did

Over the last few years we have had a shit record against the tigers. Apart from last year I guess. Hope we dust em

that's because we were a shit footy team, of course they were shit too, which made the game a toss up.

the difference is that now the Kevolution is in full swing and we are a bloody dangerous footy team ... although some things stay the same the Tigers are still a shit sandwich (just not a soggy one)

View attachment 27298
Umm Hello. We Have Won more matches against the Tigers. I love these matches Broncos vs Tigers
Well I did say last few years. We are 1-5 since 2018. Until the win last year we hadn't beaten them in 5 years. As I said, our record against the tigers has been pretty bad for the last few years..

Well I did say last few years. We are 1-5 since 2018. Until the win last year we hadn't beaten them in 5 years. As I said, our record against the tigers has been pretty bad for the last few years..
Only getting a chance to play one of the weakest teams in the comp 6 times out of a possible 12 since 2018 is the real bullshit stat there... that's the bare minimum that we could play them over that period

True that my poor mum going for the suckest NRL team I have asked to her if she wants to change teams

My bedridden grandfather is a Tigers supporter. Poor bugger hasn't had much to be cheery about the past few years.

My bedridden grandfather is a Tigers supporter. Poor bugger hasn't had much to be cheery about the past few years.
To her it is just a game to me it is lifestyle. When she meet Shane Webcke last year he had to look twice to see if we are related because I had my broncos jersey on and she had her Tigers beanie on

Active Now

• Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MrMoore
  • Waynesaurus
  • kiwi2
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Griffo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Midean
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Allo
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.