[Confirmed] Russell Packer -->Not the Broncos

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Re: Wayne Bennett related player movement discussion

Not even remotely interested in him. **** pissed on Suncorp. **** STOMPED someones head in a fight. People got all upset about Dugan, Ferguson and talk of Carney (which would never have happened but still) but want this sack of shit? No thanks.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013

I hope this one isn't true.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

It'll be a black day for the Broncos is the sign Packer.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Two question that need to be asked when talking about Packer

1. Will he be deported after his jail term. he was convicted of a brutal crime, and he is not an Aussie citizen, not the type of person authorities usually allow to stay in this country.

2. If he does manage to avoid being deported, will the NRL register a contract for him anyway. they were talking about banning Carney for life, and even if you add up all the shit that Carney has done in his career, and multiply it by 1000, it still doesn't even come close to what Packer has done.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

2. If he does manage to avoid being deported, will the NRL register a contract for him anyway. they were talking about banning Carney for life, and even if you add up all the shit that Carney has done in his career, and multiply it by 1000, it still doesn't even come close to what Packer has done.
This. We walked away from someone for a comment on twitter but rumours are we are prepared to take on a convicted thug. Please.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

This. We walked away from someone for a comment on twitter but rumours are we are prepared to take on a convicted thug. Please.

I'm not saying we should take him or not, but one thing that has done absolutely nothing for us performance-wise over the last few years is taking the moral high road.

I think it's time we got serious about attracting the best talent and focussing on performance and that means making tough decisions. We haven't done that in a long time, we are short on quality props, have been for years and consequently we've been dominated for years by teams with better packs.

IF he is allowed to play for us, IF he wants to play for us and IF he is the best option, I think it is well and truly time we started being ruthless, just like the better teams and better coaches are.

If signing him is the best option for us performance-wise, then I'm all for it. I'm sick to death of crap like the Dugan Twitter spray and Gagai's minor disciplinary issues costing us top talent and we then play absolute nuffies instead with consequent poor results on the pitch.

In any case, this possibility is hardly ground-breaking. Broncs have had jail-birds play for them in the past...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

I'll say it again, if we sign Packer I'm handing in my membership and not supporting the NRL.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I see your reasons in that post but I just can't agree. Missing out on Dugan was not a bad thing and nether was losing Gagai. The problem has more been the poor selections of the coach. I don't care how important winning is, this guy should not be allowed in the sport ever again, let alone our great club. He is NOT the best option available as I'd take Hannant over this moron anyday. If we sell our soul by signing this guy, I'm out of supporting my beloved team.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

I'll say it again, if we sign Packer I'm handing in my membership and not supporting the NRL.

Joe Kilroy played for us again after his stint in jail...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Don't know anything about him and don't really care. This is the hear and now and there is no good reason to sign this loser.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

I see your reasons in that post but I just can't agree. Missing out on Dugan was not a bad thing and nether was losing Gagai. The problem has more been the poor selections of the coach. I don't care how important winning is, this guy should not be allowed in the sport ever again, let alone our great club. He is NOT the best option available as I'd take Hannant over this moron anyday. If we sell our soul by signing this guy, I'm out of supporting my beloved team.
How times have changed. I was willing to give Dugan a go before his last brainfart because we were desperate for a fullback. Now we have a team full of them.

I'm not saying we should take him or not, but one thing that has done absolutely nothing for us performance-wise over the last few years is taking the moral high road.
The thing is we'll never know if this is true but have a look at the Titans. They signed Bird after an "issue", they signed known troublemakers such as Kelly and Roberts. Look how they've done over the last few years.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

To be fair, that was 25 years or so ago. Times and attitudes have changed.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

How times have changed. I was willing to give Dugan a go before his last brainfart because we were desperate for a fullback. Now we have a team full of them.

The thing is we'll never know if this is true but have a look at the Titans. They signed Bird after an "issue", they signed known troublemakers such as Kelly and Roberts. Look how they've done over the last few years.

Yep, Packer most definitely did the wrong thing and now he's paying for it. If it pans out and we sign and play him, I won't be quitting my membership. People deserve second chances in life.

It's up to him to redeem himself as far as I am concerned. If he plays for us, rips it up and becomes the model NRL player we all expect of our players, fantastic.

That's a perfect outcome. If not, we'll he'll be added to the long list of players we took a chance on and it didn't work out. On a base $100k contract for 12 months to give him a chance, I'd take him.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

The reason i don't want him is not that he was in jail ... but WHY he was in jail.

and if the NRL register his contract, then some team that needs a half should just go and sign Carney, the NRL would never be able to refuse to register Carneys contract then (if they allow Packer back in the game)

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

I can't support a team with this piece of scum in it.

I can only hope all the speculation is just that, and that there's nothing in it.

First it was Nashy who is giving up supporting NRL and now ningnangnong ! I'm going to miss the posts from you two guys although I didn't agree with you very often. Good luck.

Shit, i missed Sproj too..so all three guys are going to be missing next year....

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

just listening to Matt Johns on MMM. Apparently the Knights are filthy on this talk that Bennett is poaching Packer to the Broncos because they've been supporting him and his missus all year.
Hopefully, he'll do the right thing and pay them back by staying there. If he's allowed to play, that is.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

did Joe Kilroy stomp a guys head viciously while he was on the ground

Nope, he trafficked in methylamphetamine and got 3 years in jail... That's the 'standards' the club is prepared to support under some circumstances...

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • vnrizz
  • Aldo
  • mrslong
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.