Copley or Reed

Would you prefer to keep Copley or Reed if it comes down to it?

• Total voters
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Fantastic we've got Roberts after all this shit for the last week.

He will be in the centres so either Copley or Reed will be dropped as there is no chance of Roberts on the wing. Who out of Reed or Copley would you drop, personally I would go with Reed and have a Copley/Roberts pairing,

Wouldn't surprise me to see Roberts start on the wing and earn Hodges spot. Reed has earnt his spot and Copley was promised first shot so it's possible.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Roberts start on the wing and earn Hodges spot. Reed has earnt his spot and Copley was promised first shot so it's possible.

LOL.

Roberts starting on the wing, I've heard everything now, that'd be a Griffin tactic for sure though.

No a Griffin tactic would be to put him on the George Rose diet and have him in the front row.

Reeds out the first 4 to 6 weeks of the season anyway so it'll either be Copley and Roberts or if Copley leaves Kahu.

The only way that happens is if he's a defensive nightmare like Folau was at times and gets rotated until he gets his shit together.

I seriously hope we retain Copley. He is a future superstar of the club. A Roberts and Copley centre partnership can be as good as any in the competition.

According to the cmail, Copley has been told to find a new club so we can fit Roberts under the salary cap.

They say the Cowboys, Storm and Titans are interested.

For Copleys sake i hope he can work out a deal with either the Storm or Cowboys.

Although, the Cowboys also say they would need to make room under their cap.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/034ae9b74eb8ac30fdcfd77c9f349825

Can you quote the story for us m8, I'm getting the old "Subscribe now!" shit.

Never mind, I got it. The most interesting part of the article is that it says we likely won't need to lose anyone but Dale to make up the salary cap space, so we can keep Maranta, which will come in handy around origin time for sure.

I hope Dale goes to the Cowboys personally, I think he'll fit in great up there.

[MENTION=8290]Unbreakable[/MENTION]

December 23, 2015 6:37pm
Paul MaloneThe Courier-Mail

DALE Copley has been told by the Broncos to find a new club so they can fit James Roberts within the salary cap and Cowboys coach Paul Green has already voiced an interest.

Copley has been advised Brisbane cannot remain within their salary cap by including the last year of his contract because they signed another centre, Roberts, for the next two seasons.

Several NRL clubs had expressed an interest in Copley, including Parramatta and Melbourne, before Wednesday’s announcement of Roberts’s contract which effectively ended Copley’s service to a club for which he made his first-grade debut in 2009.

It is understood Copley, an Aspley junior, wants to stay with a Queensland club if he can, but his most important consideration is to go to the strongest club possible.

Gold Coast would have salary cap room to pay Copley more than he would have earned at the Broncos, but on the downside they placed 14th out of 16 clubs this year.

Green said he had not approached Copley, 24, or his manager, but had noted media reports that the tall centre would will be shipped on by the Broncos to accommodate Roberts, a NSW Origin hopeful.

Copley seems to be the odd man out for the Broncos.
Asked if the Cowboys could fit Copley within their salary cap next year, Green said: “Not just yet.

“We’d be interested in Dale. I have had a bit to do with him as a kid when he was in the Broncos development squad as a 14- or 15-year-old.

“He’s had a disrupted career. This has all only happened today really, but he’s a good young bloke and has a lot of good football in him.’’

When a player is moved on for cap reasons, his team often pays some amount towards his salary at his new club.

When Roberts knocked back a revised offer from the Titans after it was discovered a Titans staffer, since sacked, had written the player’s initials on a contract, the Broncos moved to secure the Dally M centre of the award winner in the face of a Rabbitohs offer.

The Broncos have surged into premiership favouritism off the back of Roberts’ signature, shortening to $4.25 with UBET ahead of the Cowboys ($7).

A week ago they were $5 co-favourites with North Queensland.

While Roberts’ manager Jeremy Donovan said he had taken less money than he could have earnt at another club, the Broncos have still to satisfy the NRL that their valuation of him towards the salary cap is realistic.

The Broncos believe no contracted player other than Copley will need to be moved on to satisfy the NRL.

“The Broncos need to submit any contract within five working days,’’ an NRL spokesman said.

“The salary cap auditors will consider the contract in the New Year.’’

Donovan said a major consideration for Roberts, 22, was that he could continue to live at the Gold Coast rather than move to Sydney.

Roberts has placed his trust in fourth NRL club will improve him after he was sacked by South Sydney and Penrith before he kicked major goals at the Titans.

“James was incredibly impressed by the humility shown through the whole process by (Broncos CEO) Paul White, Wayne Bennett and (recruitment chief) Peter Nolan,’’ Donovan said.

Broncos coach Bennett ultimately decided he was more likely to win a premiership with the strong, fast Roberts in the centres rather than Copley.

On October 28, Bennett said there would be “no more waiting’’ for Copley for a regular Broncos centre spot due to the retirement of Justin Hodges.

Keeping Reed over Copley and sending him to potentially the Cowboys is so dumb. So, so dumb. Punting Reed should be the only option.

Reed is 3 years older, one of the slowest backs in the game and has the same season year-in-year-out of playing good to quite good for about 6 games in 10 weeks and derping up the rest and will only continue to do so and then start going downhill from there. He literally has no upside potential. Not to mention playing (probably) already injured in the GF, while being 'brave', arguably cost us the game with his hampered defensive capabilities (which are very suspect at times as it is).

Dale has been a victim of untimely injuries and inconsistent position and game time since his debut, except for '14 where he killed it by getting those things right/fixed. And would still beat Reed giving up a 30m headstart despite doing at least one knee. It's a no-brainer on who to keep.

Every team has that player that has a mortgage on a position no matter how shit they play and unfortunately a younger, better player gets given up. I'll be legitimately pissed off if (when) this happens. I'm not going to blame Roberts, mainly because he obviously has the skills to be better than both, but why go with a 1+3 centre pairing instead of a 1+2?

Not to mention that the Ranga probably takes more off the cap than Copley... I can't fathom why Reed would be preferred to a more talented, younger, stronger and faster player like Dale, whom only needs stability and a bit of luck with injuries.

Dale has been unlucky with injuries and he's fallen off the chart that took Maranta and Kahu to the next level under Bennett/outside Milford/riding the Broncos success train.

He will flop at the Titans for certain. He's less talented than Hoffman, and see how that's gone last year.. Ditto Cowboys no hat premiership is under the belt JT will be a different player.. 95% of his former self.

Storm could be interesting.

Or, left field, he retires.

Popular Opinion: Reed should be shown the door, Copley is better.
Unpopular Opinion: Copley should be shown the door, Reed is better.

I think it's time I raise an unspoken opinion.. Why do we want to keep either of them? They're both incredibly inconsistent and injury prone Centres, Reed has 10 good games out of every 30, Copley has 1 good season out of every 5, there's no difference. We can't rely on either of them to show up on any given night.

I think our best combination in the back line is this, taking into consideration all things.

1. Boyd
2. Oates / Anderson
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Maranta / Anderson

Popular Opinion: Reed should be shown the door, Copley is better.
Unpopular Opinion: Copley should be shown the door, Reed is better.

I think it's time I raise an unspoken opinion.. Why do we want to keep either of them? They're both incredibly inconsistent and injury prone Centres, Reed has 10 good games out of every 30, Copley has 1 good season out of every 5, there's no difference. We can't rely on either of them to show up on any given night.

I think our best combination in the back line is this, taking into consideration all things.

1. Boyd
2. Oates / Anderson
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Maranta / Anderson

So just to be clear (and this is no disrespect to Kahu as he is one of my favourite players) your plan is to replace one injury prone centre with an even more injury prone centre?

So just to be clear (and this is no disrespect to Kahu as he is one of my favourite players) your plan is to replace one injury prone centre with an even more injury prone centre?

Kahu had a lot of injuries when he was younger, last 18 months he's been more or less injury free (I think he had a hamstring issue at one point that kept him out a couple of games, but nothing major)

Reed has constant shoulder injuries every season and Dale seems to always break and tear something at some point.

Last edited:
Actually I tend to agree with you Unbreakable, Reed has his flaws and so does Copley, to the extent that neither are really that necessary in the scheme of things, they really aren't as great as people make them out to be. Personally I was impressed by the efforts of Kahu and Maranta this season, particularly Maranta who came a long way from the wreck he was in 2014, rock solid may not win you a Dally M award, but you need players like him that you know in the pressure cooker will handle that job.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • broncsgoat
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.