Darren Lockyer - Greatest Kangaroos Skipper Of All Time

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
As voted by Men of League (aka Brandy, Rothfield, Middleton, Heads, Ricketts).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/darren-lockyer-named-kangaroos-greatest-skipper-by-men-of-league-foundation-20160719-gq8ta6.html

Onya Locky.

My favourite Locky as skipper moment would have to be the 2003 Ashes series. It was Lockyer and a rag-tag group of Australians. Some of them wouldn't have even been 3rd or 4th choice for their respective positions. However, in an incredibly tight series, Locky somehow found a way to deliver the big play.

The highlight would have to be the try for Ricketson. Lockyer could have easily given up on the play some 30m before, but he got off the ground, put himself near the ball which enabled him to keep the passage going.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This is the part I liked the most ... It shows not only the desire of the QLD side ... But how much the respected their skipper, and how not one of them wanted to let their teammates and leader down.

Lockyer brought the Maroons together.

Lockyer always led, like that day in 2010.

Queensland finished training and the squad got on the bus ready for a short trip back to the hotel. Lockyer stood outside, slowly stretching.

As the engine fired up Lockyer stood in the doorway and told his team that he was not catching the bus back. He was jogging back to the hotel and anybody that wanted to join him was welcome.

To a man, they all filed off the bus and slowly began jogging alongside their captain.

It had nothing with extra fitness. Sharpening their edge before the game.

Whatever it was he recognised Lockyer recognised something else was missing in the Maroons. The emotional trigger Queensland talks of that is often the difference between winning by two points and losing by two.

So he found a way to manufacture it.

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Great night; I thought Krillich would go very close.

Captain in 10/13 Tests and winning 9 first undefeated tour of England.

But you could make an argument for any of them.

Churchill captain 24/37 Tests and first skipper to win two Ashes series.
Beetson 8/28 Tests and first indigenous captain in any sport.
Barnes captain 14/17 Tests
Langlands captain 15/45 Tests and so much success 1974 Ashes, World Series in 1975.
Wally won 21 of his 24 Tests as captain Three Ashes series and a World Cup.

Lockyer, Mal all had great success.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The greatest ever captain and the greatest ever player.

Go Locky! I will never not be grateful that he played for the Broncos.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Cavalo
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.