David Klemmer

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If we have to have blues play for the Broncos, I prefer the quiet and respectable achievers like Lazarus, DeVere, and Wallace.

Bias aside, Klemmer would be an asset to any team. I do think his attitude needs work though. You can be a hard man and a game breaker without being an arsehole.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I still think he'll end up being their best prop forward since Lazarus.

Meaning he'll be ahead of...

Luke Bailey
Jason Ryles
Mark O'Meley
Willie Mason
Jason Stevens
Robbie Kearns
Brent Kite
Steve Simpson

Could see an argument for Gal being ahead of those names but he threw that away in the same bin as Rodney Howe.

I don't think Klemmer will be alone either. Woods has a good chance of finishing ahead of those names as well.

Really got to hope that the next generation step up for Queensland. Really need Sims, Napa, Papalii (if they're going to go down a Simpson route), Perrett, Ofahengaue etc. to find their feet otherwise it's going to get ugly for the Maroons.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I'm there with you. First caught my eye in the u/20's SOO match a few years back.

I like him.....even if he is a NSW ****. People saying he didn't do nothing much in game two need to watch the game again. Some of his hit ups were outstanding.

Big future. I'd have him in a Brisbane jersey in a heart beat.
Agree with all of this and have rated him for a while.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd love it. The disrespect thing is nonsense, remember when Hodges sledged Buderus and we all thought it was great?

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd love it. The disrespect thing is nonsense, remember when Hodges sledged Buderus and we all thought it was great?

"He's number 1 and you're number 2"

vs

"Get fucked you ****"

At least our bloke is smart.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Exactly what did Klemmer do to annoy everybody and become satan?

I just watched the footage and don't understand what he did really did wrong, I just saw a competitive young player thriving in the Origin arena giving it to his opponents. I think you guys are just frightened that the Blues have someone who is going to perform at this level and at all levels in years to come and how he isn't intimidated by anyone.

I've never seen him do anything bad on the field or heard of him doing anything terrible (bashing or punching people on the street). I personally think you blokes are just worried of him.

How about the physical and verbal intimidation of referees?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
HE’S 197cm tall and weighs 116kg, abuses referees and has no respect for his opponents but the Blues love him.
Bulldogs bad boy David Klemmer, who was suspended in April for abusing NRL referee Gerard Sutton, is being hailed as some sort of folk hero in NSW for the way he acts towards Queensland opponents.
In 2013, before he had played a first-grade game, 19-year-old Klemmer clashed with Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australian captain Cameron Smith in a trial game.
He pushed Smith without provocation after a tackle and then proceeded to ragdoll the Queensland skipper to the ground and had to be pulled off by teammates while screaming: “You’re a has-been. You’re a f***ing nobody.”
“Who was that?” a stunned Smith responded.

Klemmer is 12cm taller than Smith and outweighs him by 26kg. Smith has played almost 300 NRL games, 35 games for Queensland and 42 Tests; Klemmer has played about 35 games of first-grade, two Origins and three Tests.
Klemmer also clashed with Queensland veteran Corey Parker, who has played more than 300 NRL games and is in his 14th season in the top grade, during Origin II.
Parker told Klemmer to “show some respect” during Origin II only to be told by the Bulldogs prop to: “Get f ... ed. You c …”
Parker said his comments were the result of an incident with Klemmer during the first half.
“Obviously you only hear my comments to him and his comments back to me, but a lot goes on in a game of football and it wasn’t just that moment that I was talking about,” Parker told Sky Sports Radio.
“I haven’t seen any comments by him. It is a game of football and there was something that happened a lot earlier in that game, that I’m referring to. I’ll just leave it at that. That’s where that goes from.
“He’s done a fantastic job for NSW off the bench. He’s a big body and he does go hard. That’s what you want from a bench player to really come on and spark that energy when your starting props come off.
“He’s done that superbly for them in the past two games. It makes for a good third game, particularly in Brisbane.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eensland-captain/story-fniabjcr-1227410521317

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
"He's number 1 and you're number 2"

vs

"Get fucked you ****"

At least our bloke is smart.
Maybe the sledge could've been a little more creative (especially as they're claiming he's a thinker, lol), but it's really all the same, one side claiming disrespect like hurt princesses, the other side using it as fuel to keep getting in their faces.

Though as someone said above, would be nice to see Papali and Klemmer go at it, Papali is one guy you wouldn't want to fire up.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Calling Cameron Smith a "has been" and a "nobody" is pretty stupid. I mean, sledging is one thing but don't give a champion fuel to tear your team to bits in the next game.

Can anyone else remember that happening to Lockyer in Origin just about every year? Some goose would come out and call him old and over the hill, then Lockyer would let his footy do the talking and blow them away.

Edit

So I just read the article properly... that wasn't in the last game, that was in a trial match?!?!

Someone get the bloke some Xanax or something. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Lol at calling Smith a has-been and a nobody. If you're going to sledge, at least do it well.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
However, if you can't see those cheap shot punches off the ground, the way he talks to referees or some of the cheap shots then you're simply turning a blind eye to it.

Prop forwards shouldn't be saints. There needs to be a bit of aggro about them to assert themselves but I think Klemmer is in for a lesson or two before he matures into the best prop in the game.

This in spades. And if he doesn't learn, he won't become anything but a liability.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
To me he is a victim of his own hype and loves it, typical sign of immaturity. He's a punk pretending to be a man. The question is as others observed, will he ever, can he ever, grow up. If he does, he has real potential asa top tier prop.

And yes, I'd like to see Papalli and/or Napa stick it to him. Nothing like a big hit in the ribs and landing on your arse to bring you down to earth (so to speak).

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I remember when I was 19.

I was also a stupid fuckwit who went out telling people more successful than me they were nobodies.

If only I had been a footballer, then I could have been praised for it!

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Then again, for some reason the NRL seems to go relatively lenient on cheap-shot dogs. "Enforcers" who's definition of tough is an elbow, knee or forearm when the player is being held by 3 others.

A comparison to one player in particular springs to mind. Very good player now, but is a good player in their own right, not because of the cheap shit (even though they still get away with far too much). In his rookie NRL season he tried to make a name for himself by antagonising Petero. No coincidence that at the time he was coached by Hasler. Any guesses?

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
To me he is a victim of his own hype and loves it, typical sign of immaturity. He's a punk pretending to be a man. The question is as others observed, will he ever, can he ever, grow up. If he does, he has real potential asa top tier prop.

And yes, I'd like to see Papalli and/or Napa stick it to him. Nothing like a big hit in the ribs and landing on your arse to bring you down to earth (so to speak).

It's certainly looking like he'll be our #2 target now (after Gallen) after all this talk of him being the new NSW bully-boy.

I really do hope somebody does land a good clean shot on him and rattle him up.

He needs a reality check.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
He's a quality forward. Has a long future in the game. Lays on the tough guy act a little much for my liking, but it's not as if he's not backing it up on the field. Has looked well in his element at any level of the game.

The ref incident was pretty poor form. Aggression is fine against your opposition, but trying to intimidate the referee shouldn't be (and wasn't) tolerated. That, and lifting of the knee, is the kind of shit he's got to cut out of his game.

Regarding Parker, I love the guy, but his comments do him no service. Origin is the last place to ask for respect. You either take it from them, or do without.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Agree with all of this and have rated him for a while.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the sledging, it's what he said.

Huge difference between what hodges said to bedsy and the tirade of swearing that Klemmer thinks makes him a big man

Active Now

• Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Bucking Beads
  • ell.d33
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.