PLAYER Deine Mariner

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Mariner extends until the end of 2027

Emerging centre Deine Mariner will be a Bronco until at least the end of the 2027 season. Mariner, 19, was already signed with the Broncos to the end 2024 - and he has now committed to a three-year extension on top of that in a huge show of faith in the club. The speedster with electric feet has been a revelation since making his Hostplus Cup debut for Broncos Affiliate Wynnum Manly Seagulls last season, scoring 12 tries in 12 games as well as making 57 tackle breaks, 12 linebreaks and running for 128 metres per game. A Broncos Academy graduate and former Australian Schoolboys representative, Mariner made his NRL debut for the Broncos at centre in Round 20 last season against the Tigers at Suncorp Stadium, also playing in Round 21 and averaging 114 running metres over those two appearances. Broncos Coach Kev Walters said: "Deine has been developing very nicely as part of the Broncos system for a number of years now and he was rewarded for that hard work this season with elevation to the NRL Top-30 squad. “He earned his NRL debut last year with us and has benefitted from a full preseason with the top squad leading into 2023, and we are really happy with his continued improvement and application to his training. “Deine brings a lot to the table in terms of speed and skill and I’m impressed by him as an individual off the field as well – we are thrilled that he will be part of what we are building here at the Broncos in the years ahead.” Mariner joins a host of teammates to commit to the club's long-term including Pat Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Kotoni Staggs, Kobe Hetherington, Cory Paix, Corey Jensen, Jesse Arthars, Blake Mozer and Xavier Willison. Emerging centre Deine Mariner will be a Bronco until at least the end of the 2027 season. Mariner, 19, was already signed with the Broncos to the end 2024 - and he has now committed to a three-year extension on top of that in a huge show of faith in the club. The speedster with electric feet has been a revelation since making his Hostplus Cup debut for Broncos Affiliate Wynnum Manly Seagulls last season, scoring 12 tries in 12 games as well as making 57 tackle breaks, 12 linebreaks and running for 128 metres per game. A Broncos Academy graduate and former Australian Schoolboys representative, Mariner made his NRL debut for the Broncos at centre in Round 20 last season against the Tigers at Suncorp Stadium, also playing in Round 21 and averaging 114 running metres over those two appearances. Broncos Coach Kev Walters said: "Deine has been developing very nicely as part of the Broncos system for a number of years now and he was rewarded for that hard work this season with elevation to the NRL Top-30 squad. “He earned his NRL debut last year with us and has benefitted from a full preseason with the top squad leading into 2023, and we are really happy with his continued improvement and application to his training. “Deine brings a lot to the table in terms of speed and skill and I’m impressed by him as an individual off the field as well – we are thrilled that he will be part of what we are building here at the Broncos in the years ahead.” Mariner joins a host of teammates to commit to the club's long-term including Pat Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Kotoni Staggs, Kobe Hetherington, Cory Paix, Corey Jensen, Jesse Arthars, Blake Mozer and Xavier Willison.

Quotes from manager:
We’re in talks with the Broncos (on a new deal),” McIver said. “We had to get Deine over the hurdle from last year and all the palaver that went on with the Dolphins, the Broncos and the NRL integrity unit. “There are talks and discussions going on and I’m pretty confident in due course we’ll have some news that will be coming out about Deine. “Deine loves the Broncos, he has always loved the Broncos. He has supported the club since he was five years old. “The best part for him is he biding his time and learning his craft, but we should have things sorted pretty soon. “There is a pathway for Deine at the Broncos.”

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
In a huge show of faith in the Broncos, emerging centre Deine Mariner has signed a three-year extension on top of his current deal, which will see him remain at the club until the end of the 2027 season. The 19-year-old has been a revelation since making his Hostplus Cup debut for Broncos Affiliate Wynnum Manly Seagulls last season, scoring 12 tries in 12 games as well as making 57 tackle breaks, 12 linebreaks and running for 128 metres per game.

Mariner is a Broncos Academy graduate and former Australian Schoolboys representative. He made his NRL debut for the Broncos at centre in Round 20 last season against the Tigers at Suncorp Stadium, also playing in Round 21 and averaging 114 running metres over those two appearances.

Broncos Coach Kev Walters praised Mariner’s continued improvement and application to his training. “Deine has been developing very nicely as part of the Broncos system for a number of years now and he was rewarded for that hard work this season with elevation to the NRL Top-30 squad. He earned his NRL debut last year with us and has benefitted from a full preseason with the top squad leading into 2023. Deine brings a lot to the table in terms of speed and skill and I’m impressed by him as an individual off the field as well – we are thrilled that he will be part of what we are building here at the Broncos in the years ahead.”

Mariner is the latest Broncos player to commit to the club's long-term future, joining the likes of Pat Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Kotoni Staggs, Kobe Hetherington, Cory Paix, Corey Jensen, Jesse Arthars, Blake Mozer and Xavier Willison.

Mariner expressed his excitement at the prospect of remaining at the Broncos for the foreseeable future. “I’m really happy to have extended my contract with the Broncos. This club means a lot to me and I’m looking forward to being part of what we are building here. I’m excited to continue working with Kev and the coaching staff, as well as my teammates, and I’m looking forward to the challenge of playing NRL on a regular basis.”

The Broncos have struggled in recent years, finishing 14th in the 2021 NRL season. However, the club has been busy building for the future, with a focus on developing young talent. Mariner’s extension is a clear indication that the club is committed to nurturing and retaining its best young players.

Mariner’s speed and skill make him a valuable asset to the Broncos, and his commitment to the club is a positive sign for the club’s supporters. The young centre has a bright future ahead of him, and if he can continue to develop his game, he could become a key player for the Broncos for years to come.

Note: GPT wrote this article

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Shit I'm scared ... Dobbo is now 2 from 2.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Great news. I'm still really waiting to hear that Payno has extended, only then will I feel we are on track to establishing and consolidating the necessary players needed to make the Broncos name once more revered by our rivals.

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
I am very happy about this extension, its big wrap but I have complete and utter faith in Mariner. I think Mariner will surpass both Staggs and Herbie to add new dimensions to our attack. Its a decent chance Mariner will eventually play origin and for Australia.

F

Footy Fanatic

NRL Player
Dec 12, 2018
I am very happy about this extension, its big wrap but I have complete and utter faith in Mariner. I think Mariner will surpass both Staggs and Herbie to add new dimensions to our attack. Its a decent chance Mariner will eventually play origin and for Australia.

Think he is only eligible to play for New Zealand.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Real improvement in Mariner this season, last season he just wanted the ball in good ball areas. Stay out and let Hoeter give me service.

In Meninga in 21 it was get into dummy half and monster guys with my strength but now he's combining all of that.

This season he's been doing work out of his end and staying out and his run back inside off his left have been a real highlight.

Round one Mariner ran out of his own end, some footwork and through, runs 30m. That's a great run because no way he does that in any other time in ISC. He would have been back waiting for good ball. His runs are more self made and having a great impact. He only needs five runs to make 100 metres because he's being smarter about it. His first 40 metres is so explosive and dynamic that if you can get him the ball and a disrupted line he is going to make ground or break the line.

Rogers has been great for him.

F

Footy Fanatic

NRL Player
Dec 12, 2018
Real improvement in Mariner this season, last season he just wanted the ball in good ball areas. Stay out and let Hoeter give me service.

In Meninga in 21 it was get into dummy half and monster guys with my strength but now he's combining all of that.

This season he's been doing work out of his end and staying out and his run back inside off his left have been a real highlight.

Round one Mariner ran out of his own end, some footwork and through, runs 30m. That's a great run because no way he does that in any other time in ISC. He would have been back waiting for good ball. His runs are more self made and having a great impact. He only needs five runs to make 100 metres because he's being smarter about it. His first 40 metres is so explosive and dynamic that if you can get him the ball and a disrupted line he is going to make ground or break the line.

Rogers has been great for him.

Long term do you think he can a left centre?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He can easily stay on the left, he's been great this year his runs are all over the place that he gets himself into position to be able to step and fend anyway. Just let him go rougue.

captain america on your left GIF

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
He can easily stay on the left, he's been great this year his runs are all over the place that he gets himself into position to be able to step and fend anyway. Just let him go rougue.
He has my complete support and I can't talk him up much more. Cobbo is the only real option we have for left centre. Mariner should get the 1st shot at least and I think he'll shine.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Great news, makes the Fransworth loss palatable. He has looked promising every time he has been given a chance. More good news to come hopefully.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The great thing about Mariner is that he will have had 20-25 games of Q Cup with some NRL sprinkled in before next season starts. Great to see our development of young players finally being in a position to be patient

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
With Mariner re-signing and players leaving, this might put a few unhappy faces but this is my side for 2024.
1.walsh
2.oates
3.mariner
4.cobbo
5.arthurs
6.mamm
7.madden
8.haas
9.mozer
10.jensen
11.Capwell
12.ricki
13.Carrigan C
14.paix
15.piakura
16.hethrington
17.willianson
Coach Walters
Assist coach reynolds

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.