Favorite Broncos Premiership?

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
It's never just a clubs current side that interests me.. I like the history of a club, I like a clubs colors/jersey. Add to that the stadium and membership count among other things. I think it's pretty cool that our team is a world famous Juggernaut in rugby league. A Manchester United of rugby league if you will.. ;).

I personally don't have a favorite Broncos premiership as they were all special in their own way I reckon.

92 marks the beginning of the tally after only 5 years in the comp. 93 was an amazing back to back that saw us go from 5th to 1st beating all comers in the finals. 97 it was good to see us back at the top and very dominant again, (but it would have been nice to have seen an additional granny against the knights that year). 98 was another back to back with an absolutely staunch Broncos team proving we are indeed the best in a unified competition. 2000 capped off the 90's as a Broncos dominated era and looked like we would push on to dominate another decade. 06 saw us breaking a mini drought (by Broncos standards at the time) and we beat our modern day rival in the biggest of occasions.

What is your fav Broncos premiership and why?

p.s Honorable mention: Though we were runners up in 2015 (and it broke our perfect grand final record) I still take that year as a plus for our clubs culture.. It was an amazing year of football by the Broncos and we played in one of the most famous grand finals that will ever be remembered. We had to come 2nd one day fellas..

Last edited:
holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

fd2bac6b4ff765e3ae61e40dd265cef3

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Definitely '92 because that dominant display put the Broncos on the map and they have been a force ever since. '97 would be the least memorable. 52,000 fans sitting on their hands in a sport that was badly fractured.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
2006. Such an amazing team and we were still underdogs, yet we got there in the end defying the odds. It was amazing.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
goes on your post count. more posts = more "prestigious" ranking. don't spam

on topic, 2006, because I was there. i watched the other 5 on tv in mackay.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
'92 for me. The atmosphere in Brisbane was amazing. I still remember the Sunday Mail having a voucher in it for a Grand Final Day pack that you got from the 7-11. Slurpee, hot dog and some other stuff. Plus i vividly remember going to the club to wait for the team bus. Alfie and the boys getting passed over the crowd etc. Awesome.

Since 2010 though, I've come to appreciate the 06 win a lot. I can't remember the actual figures, but The Storm were considerably over the cap at the time.....we were underdogs and we beat them.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Since 2010 though, I've come to appreciate the 06 win a lot. I can't remember the actual figures, but The Storm were considerably over the cap at the time.....we were underdogs and we beat them.
5-600k from memory. the cost of one pretty good player (or 2-3 up and coming youngsters). it wasn't until 07, 08 that the rorting was over 1mill per season.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
First of , wonderful thread by you Wild Horse. I'm really lovin the energy you've brought to the forum in the short space you been here .

Second, my favorite premiership you ask ? Easy. The premiership we will win in 2017 to send Huntie out the winner he is ! Strap in for the wild ride we got ahead :)

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
1992....aside from being our first I loved it because my mate and I were there ! Also I had told that big mouth Ray Hadley that we were to be respected and we were here to stay but he insisted we couldn't win the gf and highlighted 5 reasons why we couldn't. Wanker was wrong.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
If I was rating them purely on the facts of the matter it would have to be 1992. The club took a major risk letting Wally Lewis go, but it paid dividends two years later as the club realised it's potential and dominated the Sydney competition. It was a huge moment, not just for the club but for all of South East Queensland and it's impact will never be replicated.

On a personal note, I set the bar pretty high when I became a fan in 2000. It all started when my old man brought home a poster signed by Lockyer & Tallis. Despite growing up around the Broncos being on the telly, it was that invitation that got me interested to check it out and I was hooked. What stood out to me was the confidence the team excuded. There was never a doubt that they'd take the competition past a certain point and watching it all unfold was so satisfying.

I just didn't realise how hard it would be to reclaim another premiership.

Which is why 06 will always have a soft spot. Not only did the club and it's premiership drought, the Maroons regained the shield so it was like a double helping of jubilation and bliss. Of all the seasons that came after 2000, I was no where near confident heading into that season. The club had blown a golden opportunity the year prior and everyone had cottoned onto by that point the Broncos didn't have another gear in them. I still remember the excitement surrounding the start of the 2006 season, watching all the other teams ply their trade in anticipation for the Broncos. I thought I was going to see a quality showcase, I just didn't expect it to come from the Cowboys.

It felt like the sky was falling for the Broncos and even though they recovered, it felt like we wouldn't see the ramifications until after the Origin series. Sure enough, the Origin series wraps up and the Broncos are worse for wear. To make matters worse, a report comes out that Bennett is looking to leave the club so the club was in a real tailspin. It wasn't until that infamous Melbourne game at Suncorp where things looked to turn around. The Broncos produced one of their best performances of the season and even though they lost that game, the reports emerging out of the sheds were positive.

I'd like to say it was mostly positive from that point on, but even then it there was a lot of trepidation. Despite accounting for the Bulldogs, Eels and Warriors in convincing fashion the Broncos finals record was horrible at that time and sure enough the Dragons made it even worse. Fortunately they found their mojo against a weakened Knights side, but then they found themselves down by 14 points against the Bulldogs in a prelim.

Unlike 2000 where you couldn't be blamed for feeling confident, there was always this feeling of unease like the Broncos could be blown off the park in the grand final. However, they barrelled down and while there was a ton of fortune and luck in that 06 Grand Final, at the end of the day it was the composure that separated the two teams.

I was in a total state of shock when the Broncos won. While I instantly felt ecstasy when the Maroons regained the shield in 06, there was just so much more to process with the Broncos victory. What I love about any major victory is just flicking onto Fox Sports and catching the replay whenever possible. I must have watched the game about a dozen times in a week and it was maybe the tenth where I really accepted that the club was back on top.

2015 was a magical year to be apart of, but there's still a ton of unfinished business. I left ANZ Stadium knowing it wouldn't be long before I returned.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
1992....aside from being our first I loved it because my mate and I were there ! Also I had told that big mouth Ray Hadley that we were to be respected and we were here to stay but he insisted we couldn't win the gf and highlighted 5 reasons why we couldn't. Wanker was wrong.

What did he say after the grand final?

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
98. Just pure domination. A team at its peak.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
2006 for me. Flew down to the Broncos V Bulldogs game the week before and at half time had people calling up saying it's all over. Next half blew them off the park and scored 31 unanswered points. I remember my dad and I were sitting front row at 50m line with next to no broncos supporters in our area. When we were up 32-20 in the dead silence screamed out to Locky 'KICK A FIELD GOAL' two plays later, he slots and looks back and points to us afterwards. Then flew down the week after for the Grand Final and the rest is history. Moments I will never forget.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
2006 for me. Flew down to the Broncos V Bulldogs game the week before and at half time had people calling up saying it's all over. Next half blew them off the park and scored 31 unanswered points. I remember my dad and I were sitting front row at 50m line with next to no broncos supporters in our area. When we were up 32-20 in the dead silence screamed out to Locky 'KICK A FIELD GOAL' two plays later, he slots and looks back and points to us afterwards. Then flew down the week after for the Grand Final and the rest is history. Moments I will never forget.

I did the same thing with Cronk in Origin 3 2012. He didn't point at me, but we both knew. We both knew.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Rowdy124
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • broncs30
  • Alec
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.