Favorite indigenous players

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Since it is indigenous round I've been thinking about my favorite aboriginal players I've seen or playing today. When I was a young kid I loved watching Dave Peachey, I actually loved watching the Sharks because of him. I actually have his autograph. Other aboriginals I've really enjoyed over the years have been Matt Bowen, Ty Williams, Hodges, Timana Tahu, Jonathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Sam Thiaday, Gorden Tallis, Greg Bird, Preston Campbell, Amos Roberts etc.

What aboriginals have you been very fond of

In terms of favourite to watch week in week out, I can't go past Matthew Bowen.

Aboriginal or not, Renouf was my favourite as a kid.

Last edited:
Broncos

Renouf
Tallis
Hodges
Thaiday
Yow Yeh

Non - Broncos

Matty Bowen
David Peachey
GI
Thurston (when he isn't whinging)
Sing
Barba (at his best)
Preston Campbell (i still think it is an injustice that he never played origin, even in his Dally M year)
Dale Shearer

He would've had to replace Freddy in his dally M year though.

Renouf, Hodges, Thaiday, Yow Yeh, Tallis, Kilroy, Prince, Backo and of course Wapau.

**** non-Broncos.

Steve Renouf!

---- lol @ Wapau. I think of him often, mostly when there's a guy tearing up Q Cup and BHQ go insane saying the coach is nuts not playing him. But Wapau was pretty fricking amazing for the Fins.

Great names being tossed around so far, here's a few others.

Milton Thaiday - Sam's uncle, was such a fun ride watching him go from a relative no-name in 2005 into one of the form players of 2006.

Dean Widders - As great as Hindmarsh, Smith and Morrison were during that 05 Eels run, Widders was the player I couldn't get enough of. The guy just had it all as a second row and gave the Eels that extra bit of skill they were lacking.

Nathan Blacklock - The second best try-scorer I've seen (Billy #1). Will always remember that try he scored against Wests, kicking and chasing for himself.

Nathan Merritt - In a lot of ways was a very similar player to Blacklock. Incredibly quick, but just as skillful, he was one of the few reasons to even watch Souths play during their horror stretch. I think the way the NSW media vilified him was crap, he should be remembered as one of the best backs of his generation.

Chris Sandow - Would have given me nightmares if he was at the Broncos, but when on song was one of the best players to watch. Did everything with a cheeky smile on his face and could make you believe in miracles. Still think it's a shame he never made a finals series - at the very least it would have been entertaining.

Rod Jensen - Similar sort of player to Dean Widders. Took everything he learned as a back, then applied it to the backrow where he proved a real go to weapon for the Cowboys during their run in the mid 00s.

Rhys Wesser - 13 year old me was filthy he wasn't apart of the Maroons team when we lost Game II 03. In 04, we learned why he wasn't there, but still I was a huge fan of Rhys Lightening and was so thrilled to see them go all the way that season. An amazing support player who could convert the slightest opportunity into points. Always had a soft spot for him, even though he was well past it by 2007.

Andrew Fifita - Like Sandow, would give me nightmares if he was at the Broncos, but he's one of my favourite players to watch. That chicken dance is THE best post-try celebration of the year, just the thought cracks me up and he maybe the best Aboriginal prop to emerge in the past couple of decades.

Rod Jensen - Similar sort of player to Dean Widders. Took everything he learned as a back, then applied it to the backrow where he proved a real go to weapon for the Cowboys during their run in the mid 00s.

Rhys Wesser - 13 year old me was filthy he wasn't apart of the Maroons team when we lost Game II 03. In 04, we learned why he wasn't there, but still I was a huge fan of Rhys Lightening and was so thrilled to see them go all the way that season. An amazing support player who could convert the slightest opportunity into points. Always had a soft spot for him, even though he was well past it by 2007.

Beat me to it, Pete!

Used to love watching Rod Jensen go around for the Cowboys. He was absolutely electric!

Pretty much had the same feelings about Wesser as you did too, haha. I remember him tearing up the try-scoring charts and was wondering how on earth this bloke couldn't get into the Queensland side at a time when we didn't have much depth at all.

I liked him. Nowadays he's a walking Dragons billboard and has no love for his Brisbane days.

It's almost like he has forgotton that he ever played for the Broncos and that they gave him his start when most other teams were hesitant to sign him

Nevertheless, Wendell was one of the best wingers of all time.

I'm torn between Palmer Wapau and Ben Jones.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Canga
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.