PLAYER Fletcher Baker

Need him out there. People don't want him there cause he's old and slowed down, but just his experience on the field, being able to calm the young guys down, provide guidance, and stay on his fucking wing like a winger are all things we need at the moment.

I dunno about that ...

I dunno about that ...

RE Oates

His weaknesses were on display last night.

Bricks for hands and a genuine lack of real pace.........to his credit, he fought back and salvaged his performance in the 2nd half.

He's looking very much like a player in his retirement year.......

RE Oates

His weaknesses were on display last night.

Bricks for hands and a genuine lack of real pace.........to his credit, he fought back and salvaged his performance in the 2nd half.

He's looking very much like a player in his retirement year.......
He was better in the second half for the most part, but was burnt pretty hard in that late soft try(to be fair he wasn't alone, Sailor too), there was evidence of that too last season in the games he did play. with Mariners injury opening the door for Oates to play on the wing (and on his prefered side) this was the perfect opportunity to make a case for his future there and he failed to do so. Another repeat performance like that against the Raiders and you really have to question where his future lies in the side.

Unfortunately I think those questions on Oatsies future have been answered. I think his time in first grade is all but done..

Unfortunately I think those questions on Oatsies future have been answered. I think his time in first grade is all but done..
Yeah. He either transitions to bench forward or he goes. Arthars has been pretty ordinary the last couple of weeks too. Bombed try against Melbourne and a few dropped balls. I'd love to see the stats but it seems we are one of the worst teams for defusing bombs with oates Arthars and Cobbo dropping a lot. I will forgive Mariner the Coates try as I can't believe that wasn't viewed as foul play.

Lets not count him out just yet. I said the same thing in 2021 and then... 2022 he turned into Goates again.

Yeah. He either transitions to bench forward or he goes. Arthars has been pretty ordinary the last couple of weeks too. Bombed try against Melbourne and a few dropped balls. I'd love to see the stats but it seems we are one of the worst teams for defusing bombs with oates Arthars and Cobbo dropping a lot. I will forgive Mariner the Coates try as I can't believe that wasn't viewed as foul play.

A cpl of try assists to go along with his mistakes .
Kicked off his left boot for 1 try and set up Walsh for a length of the field run . Not completely useless .

Arthars is generally the safest of the lot of them. Always going to make mistakes at some point though.

I think people are forgetting Oates has been training to be a player coming off the bench in the forwards for impact. If he is going to fill in on the wing again, he needs his workload adjusting accordingly in training. You dont write off good players after one ordinary game. We had plenty of them against the Phins, lets be honest about it. You judge players after consistently poor performances, not just one or two.

A cpl of try assists to go along with his mistakes .
Kicked off his left boot for 1 try and set up Walsh for a length of the field run . Not completely useless .
Sure. Just made a few more than usual the last couple of weeks.

The thing that is fair though is Oates isn't as needed as before due to Mariner performing well, so him having a bad game is more damaging then it was before for him to make his case there.

I feel like his catching goes hand in hand with his mindset though, like he has always been a bit iffy on them but in 2022 when he was playing insane, he seemed to catch all the balls he used to drop in other seasons.

Oates still has a place as a bench forward though I feel.

I'll attempt for this to be my only comment on the subject of Baker ... but all the early signs are there for Baker to be one of those guys that will always be bagged regardless of his actual performances.

if we take the USUAL marking matrix for a prop (i.e. averages 10m per run or makes over 100m), then Baker hasn't been anywhere near as bad as has been made out. only one of his games would be considered poor. so let's have a quick look at the break down of his season so far. in fact Baker is averaging better ion every department than JFH from the Panthers

so using the marking matrix: 12m+ = Very Good; 10m - 12m (or 100m+) = Good; 8m - 10m = decent; 7m-8m = OK; 6m< is poor

Round 1 vs Roosters: 33 minutes (Bench), 6 runs for 52m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 18 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 2 vs Rabbitohs: 23 mins (Bench), 11 runs for 88m (avg: 8m per run) and 13 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 3 vs Panthers: 70 mins (Bench), 12 runs for 96m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 33 tackles (MT: 5) = DECENT

Round 4 vs Cowboys: 41 mins (Start), 13 runs for 128m (avg: 9.84m per run) and 19 tackles (MT: 3) = GOOD

Round 5 vs Storm: 35 mins (Start), 3 runs for 20m (avg: 6.66m per run) and 28 tackles (MT: 1) = POOR

Round 6 vs Dolphins: 34 mins (Start), 8 runs for 87m (avg: 10.86m per run) and 26 tackles (MT: 1) = GOOD

Season Average: 39.33 mins, 8.83 runs for 78.5m (avg: 8.89m per run), 22.83 tackles (MT: 1.67)

In comparison James Fisher Harris has averaged: 34 mins, 10 runs for 66m (avg: 6.6m per run) 16 tackles (MT: 1)

I'm going to give Baker time to come good.

When we have our full strength pack back, his job will be easier. Palasia was ordinary to start off with, he ended up coming good and provided good impact off the bench.

I'll attempt for this to be my only comment on the subject of Baker ... but all the early signs are there for Baker to be one of those guys that will always be bagged regardless of his actual performances.

if we take the USUAL marking matrix for a prop (i.e. averages 10m per run or makes over 100m), then Baker hasn't been anywhere near as bad as has been made out. only one of his games would be considered poor. so let's have a quick look at the break down of his season so far. in fact Baker is averaging better ion every department than JFH from the Panthers

so using the marking matrix: 12m+ = Very Good; 10m - 12m (or 100m+) = Good; 8m - 10m = decent; 7m-8m = OK; 6m< is poor

Round 1 vs Roosters: 33 minutes (Bench), 6 runs for 52m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 18 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 2 vs Rabbitohs: 23 mins (Bench), 11 runs for 88m (avg: 8m per run) and 13 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 3 vs Panthers: 70 mins (Bench), 12 runs for 96m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 33 tackles (MT: 5) = DECENT

Round 4 vs Cowboys: 41 mins (Start), 13 runs for 128m (avg: 9.84m per run) and 19 tackles (MT: 3) = GOOD

Round 5 vs Storm: 35 mins (Start), 3 runs for 20m (avg: 6.66m per run) and 28 tackles (MT: 1) = POOR

Round 6 vs Dolphins: 34 mins (Start), 8 runs for 87m (avg: 10.86m per run) and 26 tackles (MT: 1) = GOOD

Season Average: 39.33 mins, 8.83 runs for 78.5m (avg: 8.89m per run), 22.83 tackles (MT: 1.67)

In comparison James Fisher Harris has averaged: 34 mins, 10 runs for 66m (avg: 6.6m per run) 16 tackles (MT: 1)
One thing I like about Baker is his quick ptb.

On his first carry of the phins game (2nd or 3rd from the kick off) he basically slips through the tackle, creates a quick ptb and then I think Billy went for a run straight off the back of it... instant generation of momentum.

I recall in the cows game he was really good at body position through the tackle and finding his front... so it's definitely one of his strength.

Even the offload he pulled that Billy was asleep on was right on the money... and he seems to find one of those offloads each game.

He's still very early in his career and the storm game could be an indication that he stood back and the game slipped by him... when he gets further along in first grade and gets more comfortable he could become a very handy player and someone that doesn't become a superstar looking to demand massive money.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but I'm not sure he's making the full strength team over Kobe and Willison when Haas is back... so if he does end up having a stint in qcup you hope that he looks to be a leader of the pack down at that grade. He can't stand back and let the game slip by him, because that's how you end up with 3 hitups.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but I'm not sure he's making the full strength team over Kobe and Willison when Haas is back... so if he does end up having a stint in qcup you hope that he looks to be a leader of the pack down at that grade. He can't stand back and let the game slip by him, because that's how you end up with 3 hitups.

Yeah I agree. he's basically the Palasia replacement. Fringe player that will be first drop when a middle goes down.

If Willison can stay fit he can take Fleglers position as our 3rd power forward (with Carrigan and Haas being our other two).

It was pretty obvious after the Redcliffe game that some people had just carried a mindset through from the Storm game and had already determined that he was terrible again, must be dropped immediately, and should never be seen in a Broncos jersey again.

Hopefully he'll continue to build on the good things he has already done, but unless he becomes an out and out superstar there will always be a slice of the fanbase whose minds are made up...

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.