Former NRL boss David Moffett doubts David Smith can succeed in rough-and-tumble

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
world of league administration

David Moffett - the last NRL chief executive without a rugby league background - says this to new man in the hot seat Dave Smith: "I wish him all the very best of luck, because I think he's going to need it."

In an extraordinary interview from his New Zealand home with News Limited last night, Moffett predicted Smith will struggle with the dramatic soap opera that is rugby league. Moffett was chief executive of the NRL between 1999 and 2001, and juggled issues ranging from South Sydney's expulsion and the John Hopoate finger-probing scandal.

"(ARL Commission chairman) John Grant can sit there and talk about innovation and all that bullshit," Moffett said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-administration/story-e6frexnr-1226523155305

I agree with Moffett about John Grant.

Last edited:
It affirms what I said before about Moffett. He was stuffed by the factions and politics that was still rife in the game post-SL. I think the environment now is a lot more open...but that's not to say Smith's job will be easy. I think it'll be easier than when Moffett was CEO though.

**** I can't stand these people (Journalists doesn't aptly describe 99% of RL reporters) who have come out trotting the "Smith isn't a working man", "he sips lattes", etc.

Really? A successful banking CEO from the UK didn't follow the unnecessarily drama-packed, backward, incestuous sport of Rugby League? Gee how could he possibly know anything, he's only good at running BUSINESS.

And we sure wouldn't want to treat a multi-million dollar, cross generational, egotistical driven, tribal sport from a business sense...that's the type of thinking that leads to growth. And growth means my little backwater community of {insert some shitty Sydney suburb here} Sydney will lose more grip on control of (lol) "our" sport.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.