Former players taking swipes

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Looks like we have new Gordie's:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...-bennett/ar-AAnbHqD?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartanntp

Broncos legends have launched a scathing attack on mastercoach Wayne Bennett, claiming he is struggling to reignite the club.
Brisbane foundation prop Greg Dowling believes the departures of Ben Hunt and Jarrod Wallace are evidence Bennett has lost his influence.
“It’s a different ball game for Wayne — his and the Broncos’ aura has gone,” Dowling told The Courier Mail .
“When you have a young player like Ben Hunt who leaves the club, you have to wonder if he’s lost his aura.
“Once upon a time, players stayed at the Broncos for less money just to be coached by Wayne. Now that’s not happening. You have to question why.
“Wayne is getting older and he has bigger issues than he may have thought.
“The Broncos will struggle this year. I don’t expect to see them in the top four and they won’t win the premiership.
“The best thing Wayne has done is sign Jason Demetriou (assistant coach), he’s a great coach and to me it could be signalling a changing of the guard.
“Wayne is not immune to pressure. It doesn’t matter what your past record is ... the heat is on Wayne this year.”
Former Test winger Willie Carne added that there is plenty of pressure on his former coach, but it's also up to their players to perform.
“Look Wayne Bennett is a good coach, but he isn’t a superstar. He never was and never will be,” Carne said.
“To be honest, I learnt more from the players I played with and against than I did from Wayne. That’s not a slight on Wayne — my point is a coach can only do so much.
“Wayne took the Broncos to a grand final in 2015 so he’s clearly got some ability.
“I don’t think he’s a superstar coach, but the key is whether you still have the passion to succeed.''

Bennett will have the last laugh.. team is rebuilding into what he wants . Sliwly but surely the dead wood will be sent packing..he will get a good team together over time.

Don't even be surprised if GD was put up to coming out and saying that. Remember, classics like looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

Yeah well cost of living has gone up so hunt is taking care of his family... hard to turn down a deal like what the dragons offered

Yeah well cost of living has gone up so hunt is taking care of his family... hard to turn down a deal like what the dragons offered

at least when he took the money, he didn't come out with the same bullshit cliches most players taking the cash come out with.

i'm looking for a new challenge etc.

he pretty much said the offer was too good to refuse.

I don't blame him for taking that offer either, it pretty much sets his family up for life ... and ensures he can plan his holidays in september :P

As far as I'm concerned (assuming they haven't been put up to it) they can go **** themselves.

Legend of the club or not, I'm sick of these players talking shit about the club and coach that made them who they are. How about some fucking respect.

I would love to know what the Broncos were prepared to give him. When it was reported that the Dragons were willing to give him $1mil per season I thought we would offer $800k and he would stay.
When you factor in tax, management fees, tpa's and the higher cost of living in Sydney it really doesn't look worth it to uproot the family and give up any realistic chance of winning a premiership.
So either we didn't even offer $800k or it was the length of contract that swayed him. My feeling is that he wasn't confident that if he signed a 3 year contract he would still attract big offers next time.

I would love to know what the Broncos were prepared to give him. When it was reported that the Dragons were willing to give him $1mil per season I thought we would offer $800k and he would stay.
When you factor in tax, management fees, tpa's and the higher cost of living in Sydney it really doesn't look worth it to uproot the family and give up any realistic chance of winning a premiership.
So either we didn't even offer $800k or it was the length of contract that swayed him. My feeling is that he wasn't confident that if he signed a 3 year contract he would still attract big offers next time.

Apparently it was $850 k over 3 years

Then I don't think he is leaving for the money over the next 3 years. He's leaving because he doubts anyone will offer big money in 3 years time. His confidence is shot.

I think you might be on to something there.

Then I don't think he is leaving for the money over the next 3 years. He's leaving because he doubts anyone will offer big money in 3 years time. His confidence is shot.

He'll be on the wind down at the dragons. So close to being an origin and premiership player but spilled his lollies

Isn't his contract 5 years with a 1 year extension possibility? That's double the length with an extra $200K+ a year. That's hard to knock back.

As far as I'm concerned (assuming they haven't been put up to it) they can go **** themselves.

Legend of the club or not, I'm sick of these players talking shit about the club and coach that made them who they are. How about some fucking respect.

Dowling had already played eight years of first grade, none coached by Bennett by the time he got to the Broncos and won three comps.

five of his 11 games for Queensland were under Bennett, none of his 12 Tests were.

Isn't his contract 5 years with a 1 year extension possibility? That's double the length with an extra $200K+ a year. That's hard to knock back.
If we offered $850k then that's $150k less. After tax and management fees he will take home $70k odd more. The cost of living in Sydney compared to Brisbane will chew through half of that at least. If he wanted to stay then one tpa would have put him on even money.
It's the length of the contract that got him. It would only have done that if he didn't think he could get another good offer in three years time.

A guaranteed 2.55M vs 6M. Only an idiot would choose the first offer. It's the NRL, he could have a career ending injury in the first week, you always take the safe bet.

Dowling had already played eight years of first grade, none coached by Bennett by the time he got to the Broncos and won three comps.

five of his 11 games for Queensland were under Bennett, none of his 12 Tests were.

True, but I still agree with the original point. Not one of these blokes have a clue what is going on behind the scenes, as you are often quick to point out to others.

Wayne was the coach of the Dragons over the last few years as we all know so to suggest he was caught unawares by the sort of offers Hunt was clearly getting (Parra threw big money his way too) and couldn't keep someone he wanted to and is therefore 'losing his touch' is somewhat rich...

He has brought Roberts, Mead, Korbin Sims and Benji Marshall to the club on virtual pittances by NRL standards over the last couple of years and looks like he might with Matt lodge too. He has brought Blair and Boyd and seems set to retain Milford long term.

I personally think Wayne may not be quite as sorry to see the back of Hunt as 'dish head' clearly thinks he should be...

If we sign Taylor or Johnson or Brooks, watch everyone start saying immediately how the 'wily old fox' hasn't lost his aura, 0.0005 seconds later and this current batch of nonsense will not even be recalled...

If we sign Taylor or Johnson or Brooks, watch everyone start saying immediately how the 'wily old fox' hasn't lost his aura, 0.0005 seconds later and this current batch of nonsense will not even be recalled...

If we sign one of these blokes, people will automatically flip the switch and go back to the old 'cheating the salary cap/Wayne can only get it done with stars' outlook. There is seriously no winning with these pinheads.

If we sign one of these blokes, people will automatically flip the switch and go back to the old 'cheating the salary cap/Wayne can only get it done with stars' outlook. There is seriously no winning with these pinheads.

Again true, there is no winning for us, but at least then the rubbish about Bennett 'losing his aura' would be forgotten.

Active Now

• Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.