Game 1 - Post Match Discussion

Watmough is a must off the bench.

NSW seem to really want a utility so Buhrer may keep his spot or they may draft in a hooker/half to come in. My pick would be Wallace but I could see something like De Gois, Wade Graham or Buderus being picked.

Personally I think I'd just bring in another big bopper, NSW have enough versatility as is. Question is, who do you go for? The experienced man TLL who's been there before? Or somebody like Woods who's one of the form forwards in the competition but is probably another year off really hitting his stride?

Brett Stewart needs to follow T-Rex like he is Boyd and Tony is WB.

Does anyone else think that Brett Stewart isn't an Origin standard fullback? He's played a few games now and is solid enough in defence and under the high ball but has never really posed a threat with the ball in hand. A few times last night NSW looked to create a backline movement and it was easily contained by the QLD defence when Stewart had the ball.

As much of an enigma that he is, Hayne has to be fullback IMO.

Does anyone else think that Brett Stewart isn't an Origin standard fullback? He's played a few games now and is solid enough in defence and under the high ball but has never really posed a threat with the ball in hand. A few times last night NSW looked to create a backline movement and it was easily contained by the QLD defence when Stewart had the ball.

As much of an enigma that he is, Hayne has to be fullback IMO.

I was pretty impressed with Stewart last night. I'd still prefer Dugan, but Brett was pretty good. As Ari said he needs to work on his support play though.

Hang on - weren't Queensland's two tries down to Uate rushing up out of position unnecessarily? That's not a creative attacking play, that's a defensive lapse. NSW were a handful for the Maroons last night. There was nothing between the two teams.

I see it differently. The creative play was to exploit the enemies weakness. To do that, and do it properly, you have to see the opportunity, create it and then execute precisely. To me that's bloody great football - great vision from Thurston and the support players.

Yes, NSW were a handful for Qld, but that's not enough. They've been handfuls for what, the last 6 series?

Nothing to do with shit coaching. And Stuart is the best coach we've had so far. He has instilled some confidence and desire in the team again. Sure we lack structure and creativity, but then again we weren't too far away from beating a team which has the best spine ever created. It'll come with time, we need time to gel. I really hope we've got the right players in our spine now. I think in previous years we haven't had the right players.

Yes he is a shite coach. He uses the drowning man strategy: clutch at straws. Focus on individuals, "sensationalist" tactics, instead of building a composed, stable structured platform for the stars to shine.

For a start, you have to control/dominate up the middle. For that he needs decent props, not backrowers masquerading as super fast mini props. Nothing beats size + talent + resolve

Ain't happened for 6 series....

Last edited:
Hang on - weren't Queensland's two tries down to Uate rushing up out of position unnecessarily? That's not a creative attacking play, that's a defensive lapse.

That's one of the differences between the 2 sides.

QLD used Uate's weakness to their advantage.

Slater is suspect under the high ball & NSW didn't use it to their advantage.

What NSW did was kick to Tate. :rash:

I did notice at half time, Stuart looked like he was the school teacher & had the players in a semi circle, like in a class room.

After watching the replay, I can't help but feel that some of the Qld players was under the weather or still suffering effects from it. Only a few of them were at their usual level, like Thurston, Inglis, Hannant, Myles, Harrison and of course Tate, but seeing props like Matt Scott, Petero, and even Shillo getting hammered and barely make any meters for pretty much the whole game, seing Slater and Cronk play their worst game of the season, Cam Smith not being able to get his forwards to the advantage line, etc... all make me think that they just weren't at their fitness peak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from the very good job done by NSW's forwards, and they did run our forwards ragged, but this Qld pack is way better than what they showed last night.

After watching the replay, I can't help but feel that some of the Qld players was under the weather or still suffering effects from it. Only a few of them were at their usual level, like Thurston, Inglis, Hannant, Myles, Harrison and of course Tate, but seeing props like Matt Scott, Petero, and even Shillo getting hammered and barely make any meters for pretty much the whole game, seing Slater and Cronk play their worst game of the season, Cam Smith not being able to get his forwards to the advantage line, etc... all make me think that they just weren't at their fitness peak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from the very good job done by NSW's forwards, and they did run our forwards ragged, but this Qld pack is way better than what they showed last night.

I thought the same thing too.

Dave Taylor too was ill during the game when Meninga wanted to put him on the field.

It sure sounds like they weren't all 100% on the night.

Hang on - weren't Queensland's two tries down to Uate rushing up out of position unnecessarily? That's not a creative attacking play, that's a defensive lapse.

Defensive lapse cause by creative play. Queensland shape on the edges is impeccable. If Uate stayed back JT would've thrown a short ball for a try.

Pearce and Carney had nothing. NSW attack comes off the back of quick play the balls through the ruck. NSW won the ruck in game 1, if we win the ruck in game 2 Queensland will dominate.

Scott, Petero, Hannant and Shillington will have a big point to prove in game 2.

While watching the replay I think Sam Thaiday had a very good defensive game and is a bit hard done by in the early posts. His big chase to deny Brett Stewart from scoring was fantastic (one of the plays of the game, easily....Justin Hodges hold your head in shame). Also he was always in the kick chase line putting pressure on the Blues kick return.
Matt Gillett Chicken Fillett had a good debut also off the bench. A bit like Hannant a few years back, came on to have a seek and destroy mission and didn't do anything wrong.

Lol saying that JT's vision exploiting Uate wasn't creative. He had him on the ropes. JT is a genius.

And this isn't the best spine ever created. I think you'll find that was last years team. Cooper Cronk is no Darren Lockyer.

Cronk will be soooo much better in game 2 and then we'll have another awesome combination from 1-6-7-9

You got a copy of that rule handy AP?

Would be a great help.

the only thing i can actually find is the 2011 NRL guidelines: http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/referee_guidelines.pdf

the interesting thing is that despite the commentators always saying that leading with the legs/feet is illegal, going by these guidelines it actually isnt - only sliding feet first is.

"NOTE: A penalty try, eight point try, sin bin or penalty can be awarded against
a player who slides in feet first attempting to prevent a try."

the only thing i can actually find is the 2011 NRL guidelines: http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/referee_guidelines.pdf

the interesting thing is that despite the commentators always saying that leading with the legs/feet is illegal, going by these guidelines it actually isnt - only sliding feet first is.

"NOTE: A penalty try, eight point try, sin bin or penalty can be awarded against
a player who slides in feet first attempting to prevent a try."
I'm 99% sure that rule was amended for this season to include "playing at with the feet" or something similar, but I can't find the 2012 guidelines anywhere.

398866_3914727304332_1163935905_3578651_1617826684_n.jpg

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.