OFFICIAL Game II Queensland Side

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Could you imagine how the game would be if the refs actually officiated every rule properly with the way some teams play the game these days. There would be 200 penalties a game.

for a while, yes there would be ... but teams would eventually learn that it is smarter to play to the rules.

if you don't want to penalize teams fro breaking the rules, then you need to get rid of the rules, otherwise you end up with inconsistencies where players are penalized for doing something, then 5 minutes later another player does the same thing and it's let go

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Could you imagine how the game would be if the refs actually officiated every rule properly with the way some teams play the game these days. There would be 200 penalties a game.

Some teams have taken the whole "bending the rules" thing way too far. The NRL need to step in. The game is getting beyond a joke. The NRL's fascination with speeding the game up is the culprit.

Agree with this 1000%.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
IMO the NRL needs the teams bending the rules though. How can they instruct the refs to give away arbitrary penalties as square-ups or catch-ups if teams don't offend?

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
for a while, yes there would be ... but teams would eventually learn that it is smarter to play to the rules.

if you don't want to penalize teams fro breaking the rules, then you need to get rid of the rules, otherwise you end up with inconsistencies where players are penalized for doing something, then 5 minutes later another player does the same thing and it's let go
Oh for sure. My comment was not having a go at blowing more penalties and I'm all for having a crack down and rub some of these grub tactics out of the game. Agree with you 100%

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
IMO the NRL needs the teams bending the rules though. How can they instruct the refs to give away arbitrary penalties as square-ups or catch-ups if teams don't offend?

I don`t think the NRL instructs its referees to give square up penalties . If they were , there would be a scandal re match fixing .
With gambling involved , influencing the outcome of a game would be illegal and punishable by law .
I don`t think NRL execs want to go to jail .

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don`t think the NRL instructs its referees to give square up penalties . If they were , there would be a scandal re match fixing .
With gambling involved , influencing the outcome of a game would be illegal and punishable by law .

but NRL execs are stupid ... Just look at the Paramatta board recording the details of their cheating in their official minutes. lol

besides, i'm not sure it would technically be deemed match fixing, since they are still blowing legit penalties, just of stuff they let go all match.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
I know mine is faulty sometimes but I think you need to get your sarcasm detector serviced

J

johnny plath

QCup Player
Jul 16, 2014
I reckon they don't even need to penalise the team in possession to fix it. Just don't penalise markers for not being square if the bloke walks off the mark.
They'll pretty quickly stop doing it if the markers have a free run at the dummy half every tackle.
nah, shit will just get uglier and uglier and deteriorate into a fucking rugby mall. Just penalise the attacker if they move of the mark... not send them back or say shortened because they will always push it if there is no consequence. Move off the mark you lose the ball and advantage. Coaches will soon get sick of it. While they're at it something has to be done about penalties in the attacking ten. Every team now is happy to concede penalties because they trust they can weather a storm until the attack bottles it. I don't know how you can differentiate an attack zone penalty but this is a real stifling area, and in my opinion is more unsightly than the so called wrestle, which I think is a a media exgaggeration if you actually watch the ruck with blinkers off.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
RL refs are spineless and afraid to over penalise, that much is obvious. Introduce a short arm rugby union like penalty for minor infringements (ruck penalties, walking off the mark, wrestling) that hands the ball over to the defending team. Simple.

Don't record these on official stat sheets so refs call it as they see it.

EDIT: For intentional defensive penalties use the sin bin, that fix is simple. Or just reset the tackle count with an advantage every time there is an infringement until the attacking team scores or turns the ball over and then award the penalty; if the defending team gives away another penalty during the advantage then it's a professional foul and an instant sin bin.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
RL refs are spineless and afraid to over penalise, that much is obvious. Introduce a short arm rugby union like penalty for minor infringements (ruck penalties, walking off the mark, wrestling) that hands the ball over to the defending team. Simple.

not a bad idea

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Cmon guys they warn the players they'll get binned for repeated infringements inside the 10. That's something isn't it?

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014

EDIT: For intentional defensive penalties use the sin bin, that fix is simple. Or just reset the tackle count with an advantage every time there is an infringement until the attacking team scores or turns the ball over and then award the penalty; if the defending team gives away another penalty during the advantage then it's a professional foul and an instant sin bin.
I'm loving the idea of resetting the tackle count for intentional defensive penalties. Let's see them try it when they don't get a chance to rest and reset their defensive line. Roosters, Storm and Cowboys will drop to the bottom of the ladder.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
How about a penalty for deliberately knocking the ball on ? a la Rugby Union . Wingers and centres deliberately knocking on opposition passes that would have led to a try are against the spirit of the game .

Legit intercept fine . Knock it on with no chance of recovering with intent to deny the attacking team . Reset the count or penalty . No scrum , no 2 min rest .

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Cmon guys they warn the players they'll get binned for repeated infringements inside the 10. That's something isn't it?

I like it when they give a second warning after warning them one more time and they are sitting down..

It really shows they are being tough out there, it shows they aren't putting up with the shit no more!

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
How about a penalty for deliberately knocking the ball on ? a la Rugby Union . Wingers and centres deliberately knocking on opposition passes that would have led to a try are against the spirit of the game .

Legit intercept fine . Knock it on with no chance of recovering with intent to deny the attacking team . Reset the count or penalty . No scrum , no 2 min rest .

Pretty sure they get 10 in the bin as well

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Bish
  • Volvo Driver
  • Skyblues87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.