NEWS 'He's earned his right': Kevin Walters explains Tristan Sailor snub as rookie halfback called up by Broncos

BHQArticleImageLarge36

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters has explained his thinking behind the surprise replacement for Adam Reynolds, with Q Cup star Josh Rogers named to wear the No.7 jersey.

With Broncos skipper Reynolds sidelined for up to 14 weeks with a torn bicep and alternative half Jock Madden ruled out with a pectoral injury, Walters has backed the rookie to take on the challenge.

Rogers' call-up comes at the expense of Broncos five-eighth Tristan Sailor, who was called into the Brisbane line-up to replace an injured Reece Walsh earlier this season.

Speaking on 4BC's Wide World of Sports Radio on Tuesday, Walters said the Broncos had a strong pool of options to replace Reynolds, revealing he believes Rogers has "earned his right" to play in the halves.

"There were a couple of options for us, with Tristan Sailor as well, but Josh has been playing in the halves and playing the type of football that will be good for us on Friday night against Parramatta," Walters said.

"He's been in really good touch for Burleigh in the Queensland Cup and he's earned his right to make his way into the team.

"Jock Madden would have been playing, but he is gonna miss another week or two."

Rogers made his NRL debut last season during the Broncos' 32-22 loss to the Melbourne Storm.

He will join star playmaker Ezra Mam in the halves.

"With Ezra, we expect him to step up somewhat with the communication and running of the team - but Josh is doing a great job at Burleigh," said the Brisbane coach.

"He's just got to pass well, kick well, and tackle well - that will be his job done for the Broncos on Friday night."

Rogers joined the Burleigh Bears in the Hostplus Cup in 2018 after making the move from Perth to join Brisbane's development squad.

The 27-year-old was the top point scorer of the Hostplus Cup competition in 2023 and is currently leading the points tally for the 2024 season.

"So many players have come through the Hostplus Cup - even looking at our Broncos team. I wouldn't think there would be too many players who haven't come through that competition in our current squad," said Walters.

"Josh is another great example of him plying his trade for several years. He got his debut last year in the NRL with us in round 27.

"There's so many players and it's a great competition, a great learning curve and experience for players."

WWOS

I don't get the Tristan Sailor love. Yeah, he's a good back up fullback. That's about it. All the comments on insta about how he needs to be in the 17 and Kev needs his head read etc etc etc, I just don't see it.

I don't get the Tristan Sailor love. Yeah, he's a good back up fullback. That's about it. All the comments on insta about how he needs to be in the 17 and Kev needs his head read etc etc etc, I just don't see it.

It's what happens when a player comes into the side and does a couple of flashy things.

People bust a nut and think that player is the next megastar and want that player to remain in the side even if there's no room for him. I've even seen people on Facebook actually suggest that Broncos move Walsh to the wing and have Tristan at fullback. Or Wash to halfback and Tristan at fullback.

Absolute fucking madness.

Until Triston really sures up his defensive capabilities he's always going to play second and sometime third fiddle. Hi attacking prowess is not in doubt, but there are times when we don't have the ball and those moments need to be dealt with.

Parker is whinging about Kevvie snubbing Sailor. saying it could force Sailor our of the club.

among other things he says that Sailor replacing Reynolds in this game was a "no-brainer" ... it definitely hurts Parker that Kevvie actually used his brain when naming this side.

Rogers' call-up comes at the expense of Broncos five-eighth Tristan Sailor, who was called into the Brisbane line-up to replace an injured Reece Walsh earlier this season.

When did Tristan play 5/8 for the Broncos ?
In a trial for 15 minutes ?

If Sailor was playing In the halves we're either looking at a first half against Roosters all over again or a exciting game where everything comes off and we post alot of points there's probably not a in between.
The first scenario is the one more likely to happen.
Rogers is the safe options and Ive only seen very limited of him. If he plays as he did against the Storm, he'll fill the role well and it could be hard to replace him once Madden returns.

Parker is whinging about Kevvie snubbing Sailor. saying it could force Sailor our of the club.

among other things he says that Sailor replacing Reynolds in this game was a "no-brainer" ... it definitely hurts Parker that Kevvie actually used his brain when naming this side.
Parker is just a sociopath. Worse than 2021 tallis. Completely fucked his legacy with the fans. He's a dickhead

It’s crazy. He’s a good footballer but he’s no half that’s for sure.

I put Parker in his place this morning on SEN. He’s been dribbling about sailor all week. I really like Sailor but the talk of Kevvie changing his team structure to fit him in is delusional

Sailor just isnt that good. Now the new shiny thing effect has worn off ( just like i said it would ) and people are seeing his flaws. I always think its pretty easy to see a player with any substance about him. They do the little things, the do the effort plays. Thats the sort of player i want in my team. Sailor isnt that.

How did he whinge? He just said he’s surprised and he would have picked him. Rightfully pointing out Rogers isn’t the club’s long term future and this was a chance to see what Sailor can do.

Wasn’t too long ago that this was the popular opinion and Sailor was a gun that had to be found a spot Now as of 4:05 yesterday everyone is life long Rogers “Wynnum Star” fan.

How did he whinge? He just said he’s surprised and he would have picked him. Rightfully pointing out Rogers isn’t the club’s long term future and this was a chance to see what Sailor can do.

Wasn’t too long ago that this was the popular opinion and Sailor was a gun that had to be found a spot Now as of 4:05 yesterday everyone is life long Rogers “Wynnum Star” fan.

This comment is as sensationalist as the article.

I think Sailor is a really good footballer but don’t think he’s the right option to be in the halves paired with Mam. I wouldn’t have been fussed if Kevvie picked Sailor but I think Rogers is better suited to what the team needs right now.

Not everyone ...
I already acknowledged you talking about him playing for Burleigh .

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.