Is Lachlan Maranta Really That Bad?

Daniel Vidot, because he's a better player and makes more ground than pretty much any other player in the NRL.

Well yeah, he used to. Given he hasn't had a game, it's obviously hard to tell for sure. I'm sure there is a reason he's not playing. Maybe Maranta has a better attitude towards wanting to improve.

Well yeah, he used to. Given he hasn't had a game, it's obviously hard to tell for sure. I'm sure there is a reason he's not playing. Maybe Maranta has a better attitude towards wanting to improve.
The reason is bennett doesnt like him and as such won't give him a chance. same with barba, same with many other players in the past.

You can't say "he used to be better but we don't know now". He was our most consistent player last year, was awesome, and we have no reason to suggest he would have gone backwards. he lost a few kilos to get a bit of speed back, so if anything he'd be even better. Maranta is still playing like a nuff nuff too, so all vidot would have to do is not fall over his own feet Maranta-style every time he got the ball and he'd still be better. After seeing Maranta in the open I'd probably even put money on all 100kg+ of Vidot being faster than Maranta.

Last edited:
Vidot would have been tackled way earlier than Maranta was after that break.

The reason is bennett doesnt like him and as such won't give him a chance. same with barba, same with many other players in the past.

You can't say "he used to be better but we don't know now". He was our most consistent player last year, was awesome, and we have no reason to suggest he would have gone backwards. he lost a few kilos to get a bit of speed back, so if anything he'd be even better. Maranta is still playing like a nuff nuff too, so all vidot would have to do is not fall over his own feet Maranta-style every time he got the ball and he'd still be better. After seeing Maranta in the open I'd probably even put money on all 100kg+ of Vidot being faster than Maranta.

No, you assume that's the reason. When in reality, you have absolutely no idea. You're letting your bias and agenda get the better of you. There are plenty of reasons why he could have been dropped.

I can say that, and I most certainly did say that.

I don't care if he was the most consistent player last year. You don't know what's happened in the off-season, maybe he and Bennett had a spat about his position in the team, maybe he's a lazy trainer, maybe he showed up drunk, etc.

Maranta isn't playing like a nuffy this year. He's no Sailor, but he's certainly not playing useless, and he's certainly not deserving of a lot of the crap he's copping this year. He's shown his dedication to the team by being a better footballer.

Add to that the fact that our captain, one of his biggest on field critics, seems to be getting along with him in the games, probably plays a giant part in him being selected.

I know you like to sit at home and act like a coach, and I know you know better than the best coaches in the game, but unfortunately, when it comes to football, you know as much as the average punter at home. Which is as close to nothing as you can get.

You've already told us you've missed one game this season, so you're judging this team on numbers, alone, and possibly the other two games. Who knows.

I dont think you hate the kid, but you are wrong in your claim that he is the worst winger in the NRL. So far you have one other person agreeing with you
It's an opinion, and as such there is no right or wrong. It's not like there is a way to prove it either way.

Besides, people may weigh parameters differently, making Maranta's qualities and defects more or less important.

To me, the ability and instinct to find the try line is what counts most, and what Lachlan has the least of. It's also not something you can teach or improve imo.

It's an opinion, and as such there is no right or wrong. It's not like there is a way to prove it either way.

Besides, people may weigh parameters differently, making Maranta's qualities and defects more or less important.

To me, the ability and instinct to find the try line is what counts most, and what Lachlan has the least of. It's also not something you can teach or improve imo.

What? Can't teach or improve performance in a position?

Seriously? You'd be a fucking terrible coach.

What? Can't teach or improve performance in a position?

Seriously? You'd be a fucking terrible coach.
That's not what I said.
You can't teach instinct, talent or ability.

You may be able to improve techniques, tackling, speed, etc... but not any of the above.

Maranta's decision making and coordination when in possession of the ball is just absurd. I can't see that improving much, no matter how hard he works.

He is ok. We need a bit more spark in that position though imo. I just get the feeling players aren't happy to just be a winger these days. They all seem to want to be full backs or centres.

What Porthoz is saying is that Maranta has none of the intangibles you want from a good winger.

The things you can teach Maranta does fairly well. The things you can't teach he does horribly.

Marantas biggest problem used to be that he was always over the sideline. That's been coached and he's a lot better at that now. However he is still an awful finisher because he doesn't have the intangible qualities that Porthoz is referring to.

Unless I'm mistaken, what exactly is so bad that Maranta has done this year to warrant being dropped? As far as I can see he has been pretty solid this year on the wing.

Unless I'm mistaken, what exactly is so bad that Maranta has done this year to warrant being dropped? As far as I can see he has been pretty solid this year on the wing.

He took Vidot's spot. That's about the worst of it from the people who want him gone.

He took Vidot's spot. That's about the worst of it from the people who want him gone.
Get your hand of it.

My (and many people's) opinion on Maranta has nothing to do with Vidot or anyone else. I do think that Vidot has more upside, but I don't know what is happening behind the curtains, or why Wayne has made the decision, so I'll leave that alone.

My opinion is purely based on what he does, and more importantly, on what he doesn't do!

Get your hand of it.

My (and many people's) opinion on Maranta has nothing to do with Vidot or anyone else. I do think that Vidot has more upside, but I don't know what is happening behind the curtains, or why Wayne has made the decision, so I'll leave that alone.

My opinion is purely based on what he does, and more importantly, on what he doesn't do!

Many other people's? You and one other person are the only ones on here that think he is the worst winger in the NRL

I can't help but like him, and had hopes he could have a Dale Copley, Ben Hunt (or seemingly like Jordan Kahu) like rise, but that looks doubtful (but then I thought the same about the 3 other blokes too).

I don't think he's the worst winger though. Someone mentioned Reece Robinson before, I think he's just as "bad". He's defensively the biggest cat in the game. There are worse players too.

Maranta did show some dramatic improvement on Fri though. His positioning was excellent in his two tries. Kahu barely aimed the ball and Maranta was in the right position. Also looking at the replay, his speed wasn't as bad as I first thought. He was just too cautious, as other have said at the end.

Basically, I doubt he could be a top tier winger, but he might just end up a consistent FG standard one

Based on Facebook comments you'd think Maranta deserves to be dropped to ISC, then dropped again, and then stoned to death.
So, no, he is not THAT bad.

But, he is a very bad NRL winger. The worst may be a bit much, but at least bottom 5.
He lacks speed, footwork, strength and ability. He is safe under the high ball, but I don't think an attacking kick has ever been placed for him?

I honestly think beating JT was his first tackle break of his career. He has never beaten his opposite number and found the line, ever.

If an average winger such as Mead, Winterstein or Perrett came, I'd drop Maranta in a heartbeat. However, he's the best we have at the moment.

I've seen him catch the ball, spin and put the ball down in the corner so he has beaten his opposite number and found the line before.

Many other people's? You and one other person are the only ones on here that think he is the worst winger in the NRL
BHQ isn't the only place where people have opinions on Maranta, besides I don't base my opinions on popularity, so I couldn't give a rats ass about how many people agree with me.
Copernicus was once upon a time pretty alone in his conviction that Earth revolved around the sun, not the other way around...

Regardless, the point you missed or ignored, is that the opinion on Maranta (no matter what that may be), isn't based on him taking Vidot's spot, but on his own merit.

I can't help but like him, and had hopes he could have a Dale Copley, Ben Hunt (or seemingly like Jordan Kahu) like rise, but that looks doubtful (but then I thought the same about the 3 other blokes too).

I don't think he's the worst winger though. Someone mentioned Reece Robinson before, I think he's just as "bad". He's defensively the biggest cat in the game. There are worse players too.

Maranta did show some dramatic improvement on Fri though. His positioning was excellent in his two tries. Kahu barely aimed the ball and Maranta was in the right position. Also looking at the replay, his speed wasn't as bad as I first thought. He was just too cautious, as other have said at the end.

Basically, I doubt he could be a top tier winger, but he might just end up a consistent FG standard one

I'm surprised he didn't try and step the defender that was 2m away from him tbh.

I had high hopes for the guy too but I just think there are better options in the squad. He's not as bad as some people go on about, but he (like Reed) is potentially holding someone better out of the position.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • blacknwhite
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Ondi
  • Manifesto
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.