Is the Cowboys' squad really THAT good?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
On what I saw in their win over Melbourne most of the players who were copping shit stood up. Tamou,Hannant,Scott,Tamalolo,Granville all had great games. In fact the whole side really clicked at times. They have a tremendous side and while disappointing at the beginning of the season they have found the winning feeling. JT was incredible with Morgan playing well also. Perhaps they were overrated but if they play like that consistently then they will be a force. Still hate them though !

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Time to revisit this thread.

Ever since this thread was posted, the Cowboys have gone onto win 7 games and looking as strong as they ever have.

What's changed?

Basically JT pulled the finger out, delivered some of the best football he's ever produced to sink the Storm and ever since then the Cowboys have grown in confidence. The likes of Lachlan Coote, Michael Morgan and Jake Granville have really stepped up and their forward pack is laying a nice platform for them.

It's all looking very promising but we're about to enter the Origin period where the competition changes and it's all about weathering the storm till July when things calm down and we get a better account of where everyone is at.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
IMO JT was always playing well, but the rest of the team were crap so he had nothing to work with. Tamou recovering from injury & starting, Coote to fullback, Morgan to 5/8 and Granville starting just too longer than expected but have come good.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Still over-rated for mine. Their spine looks a lot more dynamic but their defence is still suspect and I'm not convinced they can win the tight, low scoring games. Would be very surprised if they won the premiership tbh.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Where would you rank this squad in terms of their past squads, Ari?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
It's probably one of their top two along with the one that had JT, Bowen and Payne. If Coote can do well possibly the best.

But it's kinda irrelevant IMO how it ranks to past squads, it's other teams that they need to beat. And they fall well short of the Roosters and Storm IMO.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, their defence is a huge worry for them. I wouldn't rank them as the favourite to win the premiership unless it improves considerably.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I agree that it's too early to call them premiership contenders but that extends to a lot of teams right now. It's only May and there's plenty of footy left to be played.

However to say they fall well short of a team they already beat is a bit odd.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I agree that it's too early to call them premiership contenders but that extends to a lot of teams right now. It's only May and there's plenty of footy left to be played.

It's when you beat them ! Any team can beat any team especially in the first half a season. The Cows are close and this is one of their best balanced teams in recent years. Great front rowers and great halves goes a long long way to winning you games. I thought Morgan would be our nemesis and so it proved. They are premiership contenders but not favourites. They are a chance and I think come finals time they will be mighty hard to beat. A very small margin behind the Roosters and the evergreen Storm.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

I don't think so. Parra beat Souths, but I have no issues saying that Parra fall well short of Souths.

To be honest any team that ranks 11th in defence falls well short of the top contenders IMO.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Greatest winning streak in the club's history.

Tigers couldn't score a point.

Another feather in the cap for the Cowboys.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Greatest winning streak in the club's history.

Tigers couldn't score a point.

Another feather in the cap for the Cowboys.

And as much as it sucks having our loss as part of that streak, they thoroughly deserved the victory. Their completion rate, their kicking game (including getting repeat sets), and working over our defence to isolate our one real weakness, they were clinical.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • The Boss
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.