OFFICIAL Isaako released to Titans

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
While Isaako has the physical attributes required he seems to have zero football awareness of what's going on during a game or even around him. Instead of doing the 1 percenters right and knowing that the big moments will come he seems to be going for the hail mary glory play every time he touches the ball. What I really found disappointing is that he doesn't follow closely behind the ruck ready to back up a half break and just seems to hang out at the back waiting to chime into a backline move.
Reminds me of the titans trial last year where he was battling Bird for the position. Bird was in everything, constantly following the ruck and supporting every play. When Isaako came on he was invisible until a backline play was on.

Same thing with Herbie when he got a run. He looked more like a fullback 15 minutes than Isaako has all year.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Thursday night
Reminds me of the titans trial last year where he was battling Bird for the position. Bird was in everything, constantly following the ruck and supporting every play. When Isaako came on he was invisible until a backline play was on.

Same thing with Herbie when he got a run. He looked more like a fullback 15 minutes than Isaako has all year.
I’ve also been prepared to persist with and develop Jamayne as a FB. His ball playing is definitely improving but he just does not support through the middle or sweep into enough backline plays. Those errors tonight, the lack of awareness and the captains challenge might be the final straw for KW to send him back to QCUP. His confidence is shot.
The coaches need to tell him to concentrate on support play and organising the defence- we all know he can step and run but that is not enough.
Give Herbie a run he is worth a shot, but he needs to spend the week practicing passing and counting the numbers in defence.
I just rewatched Farnworth in the last 15 minutes of that game. Here's a summary:

Bombs defused: 0
Passes: 0
Kicks: 0
Tackles: 1 on Ben Hunt who'd already passed the ball.
Tries conceded: 1 by his opposite number who received the ball from Ben Hunt.

He did make a few thoroughly impotent runs that resulted in nothing, which he does a lot in his usual position.

Not making any judgements on whether he should replace Isaako, but he did nothing in this game to make me think he's any better. To be honest, I think he should be back on the wing. He hasn't been a success at centre.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
Isaako was certainly shithouse or Thursday night but before we draw a line through him as a Bronco I would like to see how he goes at centre.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I just rewatched Farnworth in the last 15 minutes of that game. Here's a summary:

He did make a few thoroughly impotent runs that resulted in nothing, which he does a lot in his usual position.

Not making any judgements on whether he should replace Isaako, but he did nothing in this game to make me think he's any better. To be honest, I think he should be back on the wing. He hasn't been a success at centre.
I agree that some have been overly generous regarding herbie's short period at fullback on thursday, but what also should be considered is that this was his first time at fullback in nrl and he had not trained at this position. How many games have we given isaako to adjust to the fullback role in the past couple years (including when we trialed boyd at centre and 6), and he has failed to grasp it. Perhaps we should give herbie a little longer than 15 mins to see if he can do better?

In relation to his performance at centre, i think he has done a pretty decent job. In a losing team he has been the centre that makes most average metres in a game in the comp. He often gets a quick play the ball or a 6 again restart and his running style has earned us a couple penalties for head highes under the recent rule interpretations

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I agree that some have been overly generous regarding herbie's short period at fullback on thursday, but what also should be considered is that this was his first time at fullback in nrl and he had not trained at this position. How many games have we given isaako to adjust to the fullback role in the past couple years (including when we trialed boyd at centre and 6), and he has failed to grasp it. Perhaps we should give herbie a little longer than 15 mins to see if he can do better?

In relation to his performance at centre, i think he has done a pretty decent job. In a losing team he has been the centre that makes most average metres in a game in the comp. He often gets a quick play the ball or a 6 again restart and his running style has earned us a couple penalties for head highes under the recent rule interpretations
He's good at that solo thing of making a break up the guts, which does give us some metres, but he rarely seems to link up with anyone or pass the ball. Like everyone in the team, it's always a solo effort. The good centres do that but they create an overlap and put their winger away. Or score themselves. Herbie's only found the line once this year and assisted twice. If we're going to talk other centres, Stephen Chrichton, for example, has scored 5 tries and assisted 6. His average runs is higher, too.

As for giving him a go at fullback. Sure, but on what evidence?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Isaako was certainly shithouse or Thursday night but before we draw a line through him as a Bronco I would like to see how he goes at centre.

Nope, he would be a turnstile. It's wing or nothing for Isaako. He is Hoffman 2.0

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I was in the camp that was willing to give him time but he lost me with that one lazy play.
If you’re trying to nail a spine spot, surely you watch every game that the guns play, ask questions of the likes of Lockyer, Hunt, etc.
For me now, he’s wing or nothing.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Sounds like another Milford in the works when people want to give isaako another chance at different positions. He was never that great at wing, now he’s being exposed at fullback so let’s hope he comes good at centre?

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like another Milford in the works when people want to give isaako another chance at different positions. He was never that great at wing, now he’s being exposed at fullback so let’s hope he comes good at centre?
I agree. It’s starting to go that way. I would be happy for him to be moved on. He’s had a pretty good go at it. It hasn’t worked out.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He's good at that solo thing of making a break up the guts, which does give us some metres, but he rarely seems to link up with anyone or pass the ball. Like everyone in the team, it's always a solo effort. The good centres do that but they create an overlap and put their winger away. Or score themselves. Herbie's only found the line once this year and assisted twice. If we're going to talk other centres, Stephen Chrichton, for example, has scored 5 tries and assisted 6. His average runs is higher, too.

As for giving him a go at fullback. Sure, but on what evidence?
You don't need evidence. The current fullback is not a fullback so you may as well give the fittest guy in the team a go there. Desperate times you make do and see what comes of it

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019

Hard to notch up any stats when all you've got is the final 15 minutes of the game, and the try conceded definitely wasn't on Herbie.

All year people have been saying that he should be given a shot at fullback even though he's had very little experience playing there in the lower grades. Kev chose to put him there on Thursday when there were other players on the field with more fullback experience than him.

Despite the lack of data I also get the fullback feeling about Herbie. Seeing him constantly following the ball and backing up through the middle to grab offloads (67min mark) after already playing 65 minutes in a different position was enough to confirm it for me.

I would put him there for the rest of the year and give his centre spot to someone with a bit more experience.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Hard to notch up any stats when all you've got is the final 15 minutes of the game, and the try conceded definitely wasn't on Herbie.

All year people have been saying that he should be given a shot at fullback even though he's had very little experience playing there in the lower grades. Kev chose to put him there on Thursday when there were other players on the field with more fullback experience than him.

Despite the lack of data I also get the fullback feeling about Herbie. Seeing him constantly following the ball and backing up through the middle to grab offloads (67min mark) after already playing 65 minutes in a different position was enough to confirm it for me.

I would put him there for the rest of the year and give his centre spot to someone with a bit more experience.
Whatever you reckon, but it seems to me the opinion that he's a better fullback than Isaako is plucked out of pure imagination.

bronx89

bronx89

QCup Player
Nov 20, 2014
I agree. It’s starting to go that way. I would be happy for him to be moved on. He’s had a pretty good go at it. It hasn’t worked out.
Agree, same principle should apply as did with Offa bird Macca etc. Only so many chances before you are out.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Whatever you reckon, but it seems to me the opinion that he's a better fullback than Isaako is plucked out of pure imagination.
I think you may be missing the point of why people were impressed with him.

All the great fullbacks follow the play and are there for the half-break. On Thursday, Herbie demonstrated that he has the ability to follow the play, and has previously shown he can turn a half chance into something. It’s a start, and already more than Isaako has shown in his entire career. Regardless, in 15 minutes and down 1000-0, I’m not really sure what else you wanted to see from him?

Honestly, there is no way on gods green earth Isaako should have the 1 jumper ever again, unless it has a 4-7 (or preferably 8 or even 9) after it.

Herbie quite literally cannot be any worse, so why not give him a few games and see how the chips fall?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think you may be missing the point of why people were impressed with him.

All the great fullbacks follow the play and are there for the half-break. On Thursday, Herbie demonstrated that he has the ability to follow the play, and has previously shown he can turn a half chance into something. It’s a start, and already more than Isaako has shown in his entire career. Regardless, in 15 minutes and down 1000-0, I’m not really sure what else you wanted to see from him?

Honestly, there is no way on gods green earth Isaako should have the 1 jumper ever again, unless it has a 4-7 (or preferably 8 or even 9) after it.

Herbie quite literally cannot be any worse, so why not give him a few games and see how the chips fall?

Isaako has scored 5 tries this season. Herbie has scored 1.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • Jazza
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • FACTHUNT
  • dasherhalo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • jarro65
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.