Jack Bird Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
IIRC, Bird signed because the Sharks favoured their left side so he wasn't get much quality ball. He also felt he could become a better player here.

Which suits him perfectly here because he will play on the left and we do favour our left side more.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Bird just wants to be around the ball a lot more than he was at Cronulla.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Bird just wants to be around the ball a lot more than he was at Cronulla.

I just hope we can give enough quality ball to both him and Roberts. Not just the old pass it to them early and pray for the miracle play

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
Looked terribly unfit on 9 news tonight. I don’t buy the whole Cronulla crap. We should have done our own due diligence / medical on his shoulder.

Complaining that he now won’t make round one is a complete cop out out IMO.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Looked terribly unfit on 9 news tonight. I don’t buy the whole Cronulla crap. We should have done our own due diligence / medical on his shoulder.

He is bulking up a bit, but its hard to get much fitness really after a shoulder operation. It restricts so much of your movement.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Done much running after a shoulder reco have you mate? And by due diligence what do you suggest? Force him to leave his club early somehow so our doctors can treat him?

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
Done much running after a shoulder reco have you mate? And by due diligence what do you suggest? Force him to leave his club early somehow so our doctors can treat him?

You think he can push the plate away with the other one? You think EPL clubs sign players for a heap with no medical? The sharks were making him pay for his own flight up here when we played them. That was the time to be checking him over. Buyer beware ...just saying.

As a side note champ I have had a shoulder reco and didn’t find an extra 10 and I’m no pro athlete.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You think he can push the plate away with the other one? You think EPL clubs sign players for a heap with no medical? The sharks were making him pay for his own flight up here when we played them. That was the time to be checking him over. Buyer beware ...just saying.

As a side note champ I have had a shoulder reco and didn’t find an extra 10 and I’m no pro athlete.

Like i said, he is bulking up. Its not rocket science why. I saw him the other day and he isnt that unfit tbh. He isnt up there with some of the other players as he hasnt done any real pre season work yet.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Um, you do know the even outside backs have a huge calorie intake. They need to fuel their aerobic activity. If they drop off their training, they put on weight fast.

Not being a pro athlete, I doubt you have the same high calorie diet, therefore you wouldn’t chub up to the same extent if your activity level dropped after your op.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
That was the time to be checking him over. Buyer beware ...just saying.

Would that even be allowed? I doubt it.

The sharks are *****. The second our docs got a hold of him he was going under the knife.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Would that even be allowed? I doubt it.

The sharks are ****s. The second our docs got a hold of him he was going under the knife.
Be fair old mate, Bird could have seen his own doctor privately like any regular person ,learned the results of scans and recommendations and received the proper treatment......all on his own. He isn't an infant, he's a grown man who, realising he's on the outer with his club could have began the treatment process there and then, of his own volition. If you're hurt you're hurt, his club would have had no say, they couldn't have stopped him having treatment if HE wanted it. I doubt the Sharks did anything any other club wouldn't have and wisdom tells me there's probably much more to the saga than we've been told.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

EPL clubs do require players to undertake medicals, etc. before signing on, but it's all out in the open. The difference with NRL clubs is everything is very secretive and behind closed doors. Media would be having a field if they heard of a player heading to another club for a medical.

The whole process is just so much different the only thing I could think of would be the club arranging a medical within the 5 day cooling off period, but the logistics could be very difficult especially with a large proportion of signings happening mid season.

Also it would be a horrible look for the game with a player undertaking a medical at one club before they've officially signed and then his future club telling his current club they want him to undergo surgery straight away.

That's probably the main thing with EPL typically once a player is signed they start with the new club immediately there isn't an entire season where your prized asset is playing for a different organisation

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

EPL is completely different to NRL. Not even in the same car park with regards to player transfers. How can you do a medical on a player that is not contracted to you at the time mid year? You think the sharks would be impressed if Brisbane had said **** it, we want him to have surgery now mid season because he will be with us next year and we want him fresh. They would just turn around and say well you pay him now then like any other NRL club would. The sharks lack of due dillegence is really at the end of the NRL season when they finished and the advice that their so called doctors gave him that he wouldnt need surgery. One day up here and he was in surgery the next day.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Be fair old mate, Bird could have seen his own doctor privately like any regular person ,learned the results of scans and recommendations and received the proper treatment......all on his own. He isn't an infant, he's a grown man who, realising he's on the outer with his club could have began the treatment process there and then, of his own volition. If you're hurt you're hurt, his club would have had no say, they couldn't have stopped him having treatment if HE wanted it. I doubt the Sharks did anything any other club wouldn't have and wisdom tells me there's probably much more to the saga than we've been told.

To be fair however you would think all doctors think about the patients first not the clubs they are with. They have their own duty of care to worry about.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncotville
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Manifesto
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.