Jack Reed

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Couldn't find a Jack Reed thread sorry if it exists.

JACK Reed learned some harsh lessons last season.
One, he will never again take his Broncos jumper for granted after his brief mid-year axing for a code-of-conduct breach.
And two, he needs to get quicker as competition for his left-centre spot intensifies in the new era under master coach Wayne Bennett.
On the comeback trail from a third shoulder operation, Reed will take up speedwork sessions to regain the attacking zip that underpinned his stunning rookie season of 2011.
PUNTERS BACK BENNETT’S BRONCOS
PARCELL IS THE COMPLETE PACKAGE
Then lighter and leaner, Reed scored 12 tries from 27 games in his NRL baptism, although in recent years he has settled into a reliable defensive role on Brisbane’s left edge.
But with Dale Copley and Jordan Kahu having shown promise at centre, Reed feels the need for speed to keep pace with new backline recruits Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd.
116930-3c99495e-6c80-11e4-b2e3-ff776def1d7c.jpg

Jack Reed of Brisbane dives over to score a try.

“There’s a new coach here now and it’s whether Wayne wants me to be part of the team,” said the 98kg Reed, who scored 11 tries last season.
“Speed will be my main goal. I want to get a bit quicker and drop a kilo or two and pick up the pace I had in 2011.
“With the weight I’ve put on, I’ve turned into a bustling centre rather than a speedy one so I’d like to sharpen all the little one-percenters and give more to the team.
“As a group, we’ll be doing speedwork in pre-season, but I’ll probably do some extra stuff with a guy like Lachlan Maranta and try to get a bit quicker.
“I guess some people see me playing a utility role but I love playing in the centres.
“If Wayne tapped me on the shoulder and said you are getting too slow, it’s time to move into the back row, I’d do that, but I like the centres and hopefully I can stay there.”
The 26-year-old is under no illusions as to how tenuous a Broncos starting spot can be.
116956-12cbe082-6c80-11e4-b2e3-ff776def1d7c.jpg

Jack Reed makes a break.

In July, Reed, Daniel Vidot and Corey Oates were dropped for a boozy night out and it opened the door for Copley, who produced a man-of-the-match display at left centre against the Warriors.
The British international was forced to fight his way back from the bench and admits it was a sobering experience.
“It was a real kick in the backside,” Reed said.
“To be honest, I probably needed it.
“I was going through a tough time myself and it (being dropped) woke me up and made me realise how much I love playing the game and being a part of the starting side.
“To come off the bench a few times was tough, but it shows I can’t take my spot for granted.
“We have more depth this year. We have the under-20s guys, plus Dale Copley and Jordan Kahu can play there, so I know there’s blokes biting at the bit to get into the centres.”
Entering his fifth NRL campaign, Reed is set to begin running this month and expects to be cleared to play in the pre-season trials.
“The shoulder feels good,” he said.
“It’s been almost eight weeks since the surgery and it’s been a lot stronger than the other couple of operations.
“I’ve had my ups and downs with my shoulders but I feel more confident this time. I won’t do full contact until a month before our first trial, but I’ll be ready to go for the season.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on him, hopefully he regains a bit of pace, you need good speed these days to be an elite centre / winger, if him and Vidot can shed a few KG's and pick up some speed they'll be much better off for it.

Couldn't find a Jack Reed thread sorry if it exists.

There's been a couple, notable examples are "is Jack Reed the slowest player in the comp?" and "Jack Reed has played his last game at first grade level" :laugh:

As a group, we’ll be doing speedwork in pre-season, but I’ll probably do some extra stuff with a guy like Lachlan Maranta and try to get a bit quicker.

That.. might not be the best thing.

Maranta's had plenty of chances to show off his supposed "speed" and shown nothing.

Last edited:
vertigo said:
There's been a couple, notable examples are "is Jack Reed the slowest player in the comp?" and "Jack Reed has played his last game at first grade level" :laugh:

Sounds like a Troy McLure bit. :laugh:

Hey I'm Jack Reed, you may remember me from such threads as...

We'll leave this thread up. Good chance to talk about Jack Reed circa 2015 and what the backline should look like.

I've said it before, but at this stage, I'd rather see Dale Copley receive a shot at left centre and see how he handles running off of Darius Boyd down the left touchline.

The only consideration I'd make for Reed is that his defence is better than Dale's. If Milford is struggling, it maybe worth considering.

Having Reed to cover Milford down the left in defense could be useful, but at the same token it's pretty obvious Dale is the better attacking option.

Hence put both of them in the centres and Hodges at fb.

I think its great the fact he is acknowledging certain areas in his game that he needs to improve on in order to earn a spot in the team. I think if Reed can do some speedwork training, he'll be much more improved and will bring a lot to the team, both in attack and defence.

There were a couple of instances this season where Reed looked unexpectedly faster than usual. He surprisingly looked quite quick and I didn't realise he could be that quick. However I didn't see enough of it. Likewise, other times he looked as slow as Luke Covell.

He, as well as a few of the other players have been the victim of Griffin's bulk regime, and its taken a bit away from their games. Reed has quite a few attributes required to become an elite centre, and I think Bennett can get him playing his best. Hopefully he can get his hands on the ball in space through some good service from Milford and better the form of his debut year. He hasn't really given much to work with in recent seasons.

Hence put both of them in the centres and Hodges at fb.

Yeah.. nah.

I'd rather have someone at fullback who can catch the ball and won't tear a hamstring 3 games into the season, thanks for the offer though.

It's hilarious how many players spoken about being too heavy. I'm sure it was mentioned a few times at the first team meeting this year.

Except for his suspect hands, Copley can be a true star centre. His footwork alone is spectacular, and with Milford creating opportunities out wide....

Reed is a very good centre but can be even better if he gets his speed back, but he doesn't have Copley's class, but then he has experience and I like his finishing and he can short kick.

In one way, a terrible dilemma as to who misses out.

I prefer Kahu to Copley on the wing. Some of his (few) performances in '14 were terrific - good speed, good footwork and excellent finishing and good hands.

Reed or Copley will have to miss out but I don't think we will lose much either way, although I prefer Copley in the centres.

Reed could be a pretty good winger. He's strong, can jump, he can be quite fast. I think Having him on the wing and Copley at centre could be a winning formula. Would like to see him emulate Vidots kick returns too.

How about Boyd in attack and defence and Hodges plays right centre? Sounds pretty good to me.

How about buying a tractor instead of a car? It's not as good.

Now that Boyd has joined the Broncos, just like with many other players who have done the same, fans seem to project things onto them that they never were.

Same thing happened with Kennedy last year.

Last edited:
How about buying a tractor instead of a car? It's not as good.

Now that Boyd has joined the Broncos, just like with many other players who have done the same, fans seem to project things onto them that they never were.

Same thing happened with Kennedy last year.

You just projected that he was a tractor which I'm sure he never was. What has anyone said about Boyd that isn't true though? Andddd Kennedy had a few good seasons before coming to us. He played the exact opposite when he came to us though.

How about buying a tractor instead of a car?

Hodges can be any vehicle you like, he's still going to break down when you need him the most.

Fans seem to project things onto them that they never were.

What exactly were the things he never was? Just curious man, because from what I can tell it looks like he's done pretty much everything.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • The Don
  • Gaz
  • Aldo
  • Tim K
  • NSW stables
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Manlyman
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Organix
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.