Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I'll miss watching him walk out onto Suncorp with that mad squint in full swing on game day, but ultimately someone was always going to go. Shame it's someone with as much experience as he has, but those are the guys that are generally going to get the most money thrown at them by other clubs. Keeping Glenn becomes far more important IMO as does the condition Gill comes back in. Cya Maguire......that one's for you @Unbreakable

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
And how would he be perceived if we didn’t lose the GF to them? Two time loser (assuming they even make the 2nd)

It should have been two losses, it was a 'Bradbury' win, we just fell over before the line and they got lucky.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
It should have been two losses, it was a 'Bradbury' win, we just fell over before the line and they got lucky.

I hate this type of mentality. We had 80 minutes + GP to win that match.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'll miss watching him walk out onto Suncorp with that mad squint in full swing on game day, but ultimately someone was always going to go. Shame it's someone with as much experience as he has, but those are the guys that are generally going to get the most money thrown at them by other clubs. Keeping Glenn becomes far more important IMO as does the condition Gill comes back in. Cya Maguire......that one's for you @Unbreakable

Yeah, the squint is probably the most memorable part of every Broncos game pre-kick off. Camera always manages to capture him.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Isn’t Mcguire on really good money here? But I’m happy to let him go if it keeps TPJ, Oates and Lodge at the club. Bye bye 4th tackle hit up Mcguire.

T

The Beast 3

U18 Player
Nov 14, 2018
You’re welcome guys.

Up the Cowboys ;)

Joining up to big brother and won’t be having any meetings next year.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Isn’t Mcguire on really good money here? But I’m happy to let him go if it keeps TPJ, Oates and Lodge at the club. Bye bye 4th tackle hit up Mcguire.

He is on less than he is getting up north. TPJ will more than likely only be here for a year, Lodge probably two. Just don't see this as a good move for the Broncos

cakeGG

cakeGG

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2016
Tbh I wasn't really a fan of McGuire - personality wise. He came across to me as a bit of a grub and a bogan. The club he is going to suits him quite nicely. Also expect a biff in round 2. No doubt McGuire will start it.

Now get rid of Macca plz.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
As mentioned, I think his best might behind him. The tragectory of his play has been going down in the last two years. He is a good off the bench player. He isn't big enough for prop and being a one eyed lock isn't ideal.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I think everyone thought Moose would be a great lock until he played a few seasons there and did even less 'lock play' than he did at prop. Sad to see a stalwart go, but I won't lose any sleep over it either

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
He is on less than he is getting up north. TPJ will more than likely only be here for a year, Lodge probably two. Just don't see this as a good move for the Broncos

In two years Haas, Fifita, Carrigan etc will be hitting their primes and McGuire will be nearly 31 (and still have 2 years running on his 700kish pa Cows contract). The only possible downside to losing him is experience, which I think is a tad overrated give we have Boyd, Gillet, Bird, and a few others who have played in big games. If Lodge and TPJ leave they were going to do so anyway, so that's not something we should really worry about when it comes to shelling out big bickies for a bloke with question marks over his future form.

I can't believe Cowboys fans are celebrating like they've just gotten one up on us. It reminds me of Dragons fans with Hunt. We could have kept both if we were prepared to enter a bidding war, the fact that we didn't is an indictment on the Drags and Cows and proof that they paid overs.

Put it this way, I'd much rather have Bird on 700k than McGuire.

EDIT: for the cows fans lurking: you still have an atrocious back line and an incredibly overrated spine. You need to get over 2015, but I can understand holding onto it as it's your only premiership and it doesn't look very likely that you'll see another in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
I was just saying the other day how overrated I thought he was and over priced. Couldn't be happier with the news.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
In two years Haas, Fifita, Carrigan etc will be hitting their primes and McGuire will be nearly 31 (and still have 2 years running on his 700kish pa Cows contract). The only possible downside to losing him is experience, which I think is a tad overrated give we have Boyd, Gillet, Bird, and a few others who have played in big games. If Lodge and TPJ leave they were going to do so anyway, so that's not something we should really worry about when it comes to shelling out big bickies for a bloke with question marks over his future form.

I can't believe Cowboys fans are celebrating like they've just gotten one up on us. It reminds me of Dragons fans with Hunt. We could have kept both if we were prepared to enter a bidding war, the fact that we didn't is an indictment on the Drags and Cows and proof that they paid overs.

Put it this way, I'd much rather have Bird on 700k than McGuire.

EDIT: for the cows fans lurking you still have an atrocious back line and an incredibly overrated spine. You need to get over 2015, but I can understand holding onto it as it's your only premiership and it doesn't look very likely that you'll see another in the foreseeable future.

I think Carrigan, Haas and Fifita are probably more likely to be in their prime in about 5 years time. We have gone down the path of getting rid of a lot of experience in the past, especially after Petero left and it didn't exactly work out well for us. I think Moose, if we move him back to prop easily has a good 3 years left in him.

I just find it bizarre how quickly people right off a player like Moose who has been excellent for years for us after one season where he is a bit below par (despite the fact the whole team was pretty much ordinary for a lot of the time)

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Will miss his experience and consistency a lot more than I think people are anticipating on here next year and he is a great player BUT moving forward he is not what we need. Has great energy and aggression but he makes our pack a lot smaller and often just takes up a settler tackle that does not add a great deal to our sets.

My main concern is that juniors should earn/demand their spot in the starting team rather then proven performers making way for them. Thats how great teams are built...

I do however think he is a perfect fit for the cowboys IF they use him right. I think he should take the play after taumololo if taumololo doesnt rattle the defence enough for granville or morgan to take advantage. His late footwork and aggression may add the extra bend in the line enough for a deep and wide backline play to trouble any team. He also gives them toughness in the middle that they lacked this year with scott missing

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Antman
  • Alec
  • Justwin
  • johnny plath
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.