Kahu or Copley at centre?

M

morganmorgan

NYC Player
Mar 9, 2015
So... when Boyd comes back he will obviously go to fullback.

Where should Kahu go? I think he would be a very good winger but an even better centre. Move Copley to wing and drop reed and maranta?

thoughts?

No to Copley on the wing, if we persisted with Maranta over Vidot for safety there's no chance WB would put Copley there.

Which side?
One seems to favour left centre and the other runs better on the right side

Copley is a hopeless winger. Kahu is not. As I don't want Maranta in the team, then Kahu has to go to wing.

Unless someone has figured how to transfer Maranta's bomb taking ability into Copley's body? In which case we'd have a really complete winger!

It depends on Hodgo... with him in the team, Kahu probably should take a wing spot, with Copley on he left centre spot, which is clearly his best position. With Hodgo out, Kahu slots in in the right centre position of course.

However, until Boyd comes back, and without Hodges in the team, Kahu will be able to show how good he is at his preferred fullback position, and hopefully give WB a headache in where he plays Boyd...

At full strength, this would be the team imo:

1- Kahu/Boyd
2- Oates
3- Copley
4- Hodges
5- Boyd/Kahu

just flick reed to qcup and then we can have both kahu and copley in the team. win win

Going from what I have seen of Barba at 5/8th over the years, I could think of a number of players I'd rather there in our current squad. Other then that it's a good lineup there broncospwn.

Last edited:
Copley's footwork at centre is seriously good, and he is quick enough to cause damage, but then I think the same of Kahu. For mine, even though it's a waste of his talents, Kahu should play wing - he is good under the high ball - much better than Copley, and I suppose he could work with Boyd from the back.

Some of Copley's tries last year showed superb stepping and swerving. Like Kahu, he is wasted on the wing.

When Hodges is out temporarily or permanently, I'd move Kahu to centres and Reed to wing. I thought Reed was very good on the wing last year and combined really well with our left (I think) side edge runners and he can catch and bat high balls. I also want him out of the centres anyway, but I do honestly think he is a good winger on last year's limited showing.

Reed's instincts in defence at centre have slowed right down. Reed against Jennings as one example, I shudder. On the wing, he would have to cover less space and he can tackle very effectively.

In fact, I'd move Reed to the wing now and replace him with Copley. I'd have Reed over Maranta on the wing.

I would be less unhappy with Boyd at FB if he had a combination with Kahu. I feel really sad if there's a chance we will lose kahu to another club.

I also hope Bennett gives Boyd time on the wing to ease back into the top level, and work with Kahu.

Copley's footwork at centre is seriously good, and he is quick enough to cause damage, but then I think the same of Kahu. For mine, even though it's a waste of his talents, Kahu should play wing - he is good under the high ball - much better than Copley, and I suppose he could work with Boyd from the back.

Some of Copley's tries last year showed superb stepping and swerving. Like Kahu, he is wasted on the wing.

When Hodges is out temporarily or permanently, I'd move Kahu to centres and Reed to wing. I thought Reed was very good on the wing last year and combined really well with our left (I think) side edge runners and he can catch and bat high balls. I also want him out of the centres anyway, but I do honestly think he is a good winger on last year's limited showing.

Reed's instincts in defence at centre have slowed right down. Reed against Jennings as one example, I shudder. On the wing, he would have to cover less space and he can tackle very effectively.

In fact, I'd move Reed to the wing now and replace him with Copley. I'd have Reed over Maranta on the wing.

I would be less unhappy with Boyd at FB if he had a combination with Kahu. I feel really sad if there's a chance we will lose kahu to another club.

I also hope Bennett gives Boyd time on the wing to ease back into the top level, and work with Kahu.

You need to find a spot for Oates. Heck play him at centre and put Reed on the wing. Thatll save Hodges/whoever having to throw cut out passes trying to reach Oates. (And maybe even land a few on his chest instead of his toes).

You need to find a spot for Oates. Heck play him at centre and put Reed on the wing. Thatll save Hodges/whoever having to throw cut out passes trying to reach Oates. (And maybe even land a few on his chest instead of his toes).

You are absolutely right. On the wing until Boyd returns. Wing is doing Oates good. I thought he looked a lot leaner last game. I also think a cut out pass to Oates increases his try scoring opportunities which he takes well.

Then, he replaces Reed (in my side) on one wing with Kahu (or Boyd) on the other.

Last edited:
Kahu said in a recent interview that he's only now starting to get confidence back, two years after his last reconstruction. Something along the lines of "I'll start to use my step soon". So as good as he's been playing, he's still holding back because of his demons. Fingers crossed he overcomes them and becomes the player we've all hoped he'd become.

But seriously, Copley is no winger. Kahu is good anywhere from #1 - #5, and I'm sure he'll be happy playing anywhere in the 13.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Stix
  • The Strapper
  • Bucking Beads
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dash
  • lynx000
  • Dazza 92
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • rj9
  • Harry Sack
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.