Kevin Walters to return as halves coach for 2018

I wonder if this timing is coincidental or not, I think not.

Titans think they draw the finishing blow, signing a coach that Taylor has a good bond with, think they've got him in the bag.. Bang, we sign the QLD coach, ex-coach of Taylor and one of the best halves coaches in the game.

Your move, Titans.

Walters is Broncos’ anointed one
Brent Read1:10PM October 22, 2017
Queensland coach Kevin Walters is returning to the Broncos
Queensland coach Kevin Walters is set to make a storied return to the Broncos in a move that will see one of the club’s prodigal sons juggle his State of Origin commitments with the opportunity to become the long-term successor to Wayne Bennett.
The Australian understands that Walters’ return to the Broncos coaching staff as an assistant to Bennett could be announced as early as tomorrow, helping explain why he opted against pursuing the Gold Coast job when many considered he was the favourite for the role.
It is believed he will continue as Maroons coach, having recently agreed on a two-year extension to his current contract, which had a year to run. However, the Queensland Rugby League is likely to begin contingency planning based on Walters eventually becoming the Broncos head coach when Bennett decides to step aside.
It is understood Walters aproached the club after they were thrashed by Melbourne in the NRL finals.
It will be Walters’ second stint as a coach at the Broncos after a stellar career at the club, where he played 237 games, won five premierships and became one of the first players inducted into the Broncos’ Hall of Fame.
He was part of Bennett’s coaching staff as far back as 2005 but departed the Broncos after a clean-out at the end of that season. He joined forces once again with Bennett in 2014 when he came on board as a halves coach at Newcastle before stepping up to an assistant role at the Broncos when Bennett returned to the club in 2015.
Once again, he stepped aside from his club coaching duties when he was appointed Queensland coach last year. At the time, there was talk of a rift between Bennett and Walters because the former had indicated an interest in coaching the Maroons.
However, Walters’ return to the Broncos will end any suggestion of an issue between the pair and shapes as a clear indication that the club’s former captain is well and truly in the running to replace Bennett when the 67-year-old ultimately decides to call it a day.
Bennett has a contract with the Broncos until the end of the 2019 season and has shown no inkling that he has lost his hunger for coaching, having taken the club to the finals again this season.
However, his club commitments coincide with the end of Mal Meninga’s contract with the Australian side and there is every chance Bennett may look to resume national duties — he currently runs the England Test side — should Meninga decide to explore other options.
Alternatively, Bennett could look to State of Origin, where he has forged one of the most successful coaching resumes of anyone from either state. That could result in he and Walters switching positions.
Walters’ new deal with the QRL is until the end of 2020.
Aside from Walters, North Queensland coach Paul Green is the other name most often mentioned as a possible long-term replacement for Bennett at the Broncos. Green is also likely to come into reckoning with the Queensland side should Walters eventually pursue a position as a club coach.
The Cowboys coach, having guided North Queensland to the 2015 premiership, is off contract at the end of next season but chair Laurence Lancini has indicated a desire to sit down with Green to extend his deal for at least another two seasons.
The Cowboys are understandably keen to tie Green down as quickly as possible given the way his reputation has soared since joining North Queensland. His coaching efforts in guiding the club to the grand final this season in the absence of co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott only enhanced his reputation.
Likewise, Walters’ career and standing have soared since his involvement with Queensland. Besides leading the Maroons to successive series wins, he has also demonstrated a willingness to make the tough calls. Two years ago he stood down a handful of players including Cameron Munster and Valentine Holmes after they were among a group who broke curfew while in camp.
He also made the difficult decision to overlook Billy Slater for the opening game of this year’s series but then recalled the Melbourne and Australian fullback for the remaining two games as Queensland defended the Origin shield.
It would be no surprise if Walters was also handed a role with the Broncos halves given Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima are entering a decisive period.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...a/news-story/4bf0e2604cdf2a8583264447c97c8a5f

I wonder if this timing is coincidental or not, I think not.

Titans think they draw the finishing blow, signing a coach that Taylor has a good bond with, think they've got him in the bag.. Bang, we sign the QLD coach, ex-coach of Taylor and one of the best halves coaches in the game.

Your move, Titans.

They should take Lockyer , walters and Langer down to Taylor and convice him to come back without breaking the bank because the $$ will come

Bennett, Walters, Lockyer, Langer, Demetriou vs Brennan, Tallis, Hayne

I wonder which group of men is more likely to convince him to sign with their club for 2019.

Take a contract with them aswell get him to sign it infront of tallis [emoji23][emoji23]

I wish there was video if that happened

Bennett, Walters, Lockyer, Langer, Demetriou vs Brennan, Tallis, Hayne

I wonder which group of men is more likely to convince him to sign with their club for 2019.

I dunnooo, Hayne is his big brother, idol and current mentor.

Yep, 2nd in points scored for the regular season, with McCullough & Boyd both missing a decent amount of time, and with a bunch of different Halfbacks.. oh and it was JD's first year with us as well, probably didn't have as much time to implement the attack as he wanted.

I'm more than happy to give JD control of the attack again, let Kev work purely with Milford, Nikorima, Dargan and whoever else we sign to ensure that they're all on the same page and playing with confidence.

Yes but can we have a breakdown of vs top 4 or 8 compared to bottom. Nice to have some blowouts back but David warner also scores a lot of runs. Usually in Australia against easier teams doesn't help us win tests in India...

Come on. Not to sure why Bennett got rid of him in the first place. Hunt may regret the move now. That would be so good for us next season. when do they hope to announce it

Because Walters had just been appointed the QLD head coach role and Bennett wanted him to focus on that without any distractions.

Obviously Bennett feels he can handle both roles now.

Because Walters had just been appointed the QLD head coach role and Bennett wanted him to focus on that without any distractions.

He's always looked out for him, sent him away to the Jets, given him references when he's applied for jobs. Bennett has already promised the QRL it won't affect his job there.

584a5a6b865a81573223ce4f700a18cb

Wayne Bennett denies falling out with Kevin Walters, saying the pair’s friendship remains strong

October 23, 2017

WAYNE Bennett has rubbished suggestions he fell out with Kevin Walters and says the Maroons coach’s return to the Broncos is evidence their 32-year friendship remains intact.

Walters will reprise his role as Bennett’s assistant at the Broncos next month, adding another chapter to one of rugby league’s most fascinating narratives.

As a player, Walters, one of Brisbane’s favourite sons, won five premierships under Bennett, but their relationship suffered a major ruction when the champion playmaker joined the coaching ranks.

Bennett sacked Walters as his assistant in 2005, insisting he needed to leave the club to broaden his skill set. At the time, Walters claimed he was axed because he wasn’t a “yes man”.

Tensions then resurfaced earlier this year when Bennett’s Broncos and Walters’ Maroons were embroiled in a selection tug of war over Brisbane sensation Anthony Milford.

Bennett had refused to release Milford to Camp Maroon if he was going to be named 18th man as a shadow player for the injured Johnathan Thurston for Origin I.

Walters outfoxed the master coach, naming Thurston as 18th man and handing Milford the No. 6 jumper — leaving Bennett no choice but to release his star pivot for Origin duty.

Bennett’s sacking of Walters more than a decade ago has fuelled a perception that there is a deep wound that can never be truly healed, but the Broncos coach insists talk of a toxic rift is purely speculative.

“I’m at war with everybody if you believe the headlines,” Bennett said. “I’ve only ever had Kevin’s best interests at heart.

“I’ve had an association with him since 1985 when I coached him in a Queensland under-19s side.

“I took Kevvie to Canberra and brought him back to Brisbane. We have been friends for many years and our relationship is strong. He is passionate about the Broncos, so I am pleased to have him back here.”

When Walters accepted the Maroons post in 2015, Bennett advised him he could not continue as his assistant. Asked why he is now allowing Walters to return, Bennett argued the landscape has shifted.

“Kevin has done two years at Origin level, he has won both series so he is more experienced now,” Bennett said.

“When he first got the Origin job, I was adamant that Kevvie couldn’t coach the Broncos in the short term.

“I felt that way because it was important that he had to make a success of it without distraction. If he didn’t make a success of it, people would have jumped on him saying you’re affected by the Broncos job.

“I didn’t want that distraction for us or him, there would have been headlines everywhere.

“But Kevin now has it worked out with Queensland so coming back can help make him a better coach.

“I’ve assured Kevvie and the Queensland Rugby League that his role at the Broncos won’t impact on his commitments to the Maroons.

“When Origin comes around and Kevvie has to be away for a few weeks, that’s fine, he can focus on Queensland. He will have a role at the Broncos but when Origin duties call, he will have our blessing to go and do that.”

Source: Courier Mail

Kevvie was 50 on Friday too! (Kerrod too).

It's a great story, 2001 he coached the Clydesdales. It's been 16 years since Casey McGuire dived over with seconds to go and they won the comp after being down 10-0 after nine minutes.

Jets heartbreak in 2008 losing in the last couple of seconds, France, Storm and Newcastle. The Origin job is a great reward but back at the Broncos is his passion.

16 years is a long time to keep plugging away at something. If anyone deserves a head role it's Kevvie.

Kevvie was 50 on Friday too! (Kerrod too).

It's a great story, 2001 he coached the Clydesdales. It's been 16 years since Casey McGuire dived over with seconds to go and they won the comp after being down 10-0 after nine minutes.

Jets heartbreak in 2008 losing in the last couple of seconds, France, Storm and Newcastle. The Origin job is a great reward but back at the Broncos is his passion.

16 years is a long time to keep plugging away at something. If anyone deserves a head role it's Kevvie.
How do you think he would fair as a head coach? His coaching in super league will give him a good grounding but do you think he's ready for a full time gig in NRL land or is that what this assistant role will asset with?

He looks a good man manager which is half the battle nowadays.

Yep, which is exactly what Bennett said at the time. Unfortunately the media always need to paint something sinister when it comes to Wayne so they invented this supposed falling out, and some people don’t take much encourage to lap that shit up.

QRL MEDIA

The Queensland Rugby League is pleased to announce that Kevin Walters has agreed to extend his tenure as coach of the Queensland Maroons until 2020.
A key component of the contract extension is support for Walters to coach more regularly, with the QRL confirming the Maroons mentor has its blessing to return to the NRL next year as an assistant with the Brisbane Broncos.
“First and foremost, we’re absolutely thrilled to extend Kevin’s contract as Maroons coach,” QRL Chairman Bruce Hatcher said.
“He’s done a wonderful job to win back-to-back series during an extremely challenging period.
“Kevin’s great passion is coaching, and as such, we support his desire to return to the NRL as an assistant coach with the Broncos.”
Hatcher said Walters possessed the drive and experience to succeed in both roles.
“We’re always looking to work with the NRL clubs and ensure the best outcome for rugby league in Queensland, and in this particular instance, we believe we have done just that,” Hatcher said.
“Kevin will be a great asset for both the Maroons and the Broncos in 2018.”
Walters said he was delighted to extend his time with the Queensland State of Origin team.
“I love coaching Queensland and I’m grateful that I can continue on in this role as we have a lot more work to do,” Walters said.
“I’m also excited about the opportunity to be involved in the NRL again. I can’t thank both the QRL and the Broncos enough for the opportunity.”

How do you think he would fair as a head coach? His coaching in super league will give him a good grounding but do you think he's ready for a full time gig in NRL land or is that what this assistant role will asset with?

He looks a good man manager which is half the battle nowadays.

Yep, few years ago bit unsure but now no doubt. He's gone away and worked with other coaches and systems done hard yards with clubs with no money like the Jets and learnt how to teach and develop skills then he's worked with guys in the Origin side that can sniff out a fraud. Kevvie has two great things, great attention to detail and he understands how a club works. He will give guys confidence which then means they use their skills knowing Kevvie will encourage that skill.

Kevin Walters does seem very personable and a good manager. No doubt he knows footy as well. I think what may have let him down - when he has been going for HC positions - is that he is not the best at articulating his thoughts in a formal setting.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • mieko
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.