THE COACH Kevin Walters

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
There has to be a minimum expectation of whats acceptable and for us this year its 8th imo. As i have said before, you dont improve by accepting mediocrity. This team easily has the capability to be around that 6th spot right now. Its up to everyone at the club to find out the reason why its not happening and fix it.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
We improved against some lower ranked sides. But still haven’t really made any progress against our bogey sides. Was hoping to see improvements against the cowboys, eels and storm but once again we have been thrashed by those teams and even against the tigers, we didn’t look improved.

we did have our best wins in a long time this season though and Kevvie needs to find a way to maintain that level
Got that but really is pointless trying to beat whatever team until we start playing as a team ourselves.
That will begin when we start defending as a unit having confidence in the guy beside you will do his job. Remember our sliding defence.
Too many times our troops are looking at each other after a try is scored seemingly wondering why the other bloke didn’t make the tackle.
I’m certain if Kevin can get this bit right the other stuff will fall into place.
We can then start to talk about beating this team or that one.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Kev's on thin ice, but he will get 2023 to determine his fate. I know a lot think top 8 is the minimum but we can't overlook that even losing next week sees us finish with 13 wins 12 losses, and that makes the 8 damn near every year. For me, 8th or 9th, it really doesn't matter. I'm happy with winning twice as many games as last year, and I'm happy we are fringe 8 instead of cellar dwellers. What concerns me is the way we have missed the 8. Failing to turn up at the business end of the year. Conceding over 50 points in consecutive games. This demands immediate and extensive attention, and must be addressed.
Whether you consider this year a success or not is a matter of opinion, but what is clear is that this year was an improvement on last year, and thus at least some positive steps have been made. 2023 must build on those positive steps, because fringe 8 won't cut it again.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
no one is getting fired, no one is quitting.

we went from bottom of the ladder to 9thísh.

you will see the walters son next year...
I can see why this is some people's argument, but we improved and then turned to shit again. The last few weeks have been Seibold bad and we lost to the team about to win the wooden spoon in the home stretch. We haven't improved, we signed an actual halfback and other teams have gotten worse.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
If true re players being upset with the spray on Friday night then I dare say he is on his way to loosing the dressing room (if it hasn’t happened already..)
yeah it could be a few that have spat the dummy but there are just cracks starting to show both on and off field. Let’s not forget the players are the ones forced to play the style of footy Kev and his assistances want. Many may not be in agreeance with his tactics/plays etc.
Haas, Staggs, Riki & Turpin have all gone backwards in their development and performances vs last year.
A few different players are starting to say a few things that are raising eyebrows.
Im sure the fact that Kev is very close with some in the media ie. Dobbo, Tallis, badel etc has helped keep the noise down around the coach.
you could only imagine the outrage surrounding the club if it wasn’t an old boy that was coach.
As much as we all hated seibolds coaching, we now arguably have a better team with more experience on and off field with the likes of Reyno, capes, DD, Ikin etc and we are still failing to make finals.
It’s also worth looking at clubs that were in a similar position to us last year; Sharks and Cowboys. Now look at how those two teams re performing vs us this year..
It certainly doesnt look good from the outside looking in.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If true re players being upset with the spray on Friday night then I dare say he is on his way to loosing the dressing room (if it hasn’t happened already..)
yeah it could be a few that have spat the dummy but there are just cracks starting to show both on and off field. Let’s not forget the players are the ones forced to play the style of footy Kev and his assistances want. Many may not be in agreeance with his tactics/plays etc.
Haas, Staggs, Riki & Turpin have all gone backwards in their development and performances vs last year.
A few different players are starting to say a few things that are raising eyebrows.
Im sure the fact that Kev is very close with some in the media ie. Dobbo, Tallis, badel etc has helped keep the noise down around the coach.
you could only imagine the outrage surrounding the club if it wasn’t an old boy that was coach.
As much as we all hated seibolds coaching, we now arguably have a better team with more experience on and off field with the likes of Reyno, capes, DD, Ikin etc and we are still failing to make finals.
It’s also worth looking at clubs that were in a similar position to us last year; Sharks and Cowboys. Now look at how those two teams re performing vs us this year..
The only reason Kev's head isn't called for yet is exactly what you've mentioned. He's mates with the same guys who set the NRL news agendas.

I think Seibold was a shit coach but the way he was hounded by the media and old boys was absolutely disgraceful. They didn't even give him a chance before laying the boot in every other day.

E

eazy-duzzit

NYC Player
Apr 4, 2019
Let’s not forget the players are the ones forced to play the style of footy Kev and his assistances want. Many may not be in agreeance with his tactics/plays etc.
Craig Bellamy's gameplan wouldn't have saved the Broncos from the disaster over the past fortnight. It may have been the difference in tight games, but the effort put forth by the players has been downright pathetic. If you leak 100+ points over 2 weeks with your season on the line, you deserve a spray and more

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The only reason Kev's head isn't called for yet is exactly what you've mentioned. He's mates with the same guys who set the NRL news agendas.

I think Seibold was a shit coach but the way he was hounded by the media and old boys was absolutely disgraceful. They didn't even give him a chance before laying the boot in every other day.
He walked in and took a shit on everything that had ever happened at the club. He did it to himself. There's very few jobs in the world that you can survive in if you piss everyone off on the first day.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Craig Bellamy's gameplan wouldn't have saved the Broncos from the disaster over the past fortnight. It may have been the difference in tight games, but the effort put forth by the players has been downright pathetic. If you leak 100+ points over 2 weeks with your season on the line, you deserve a spray and more
Absolutely no argument they deserved a spray. Also read they were made to train on Friday, the morning after a game.
The quick decline makes me question if they believe in what they’re being coached.
Wreaks of no to minimum understanding of what the coaching staff are trying to hammer into them.
On the Bellamy thing, I think he communicates and makes every players job so simple. And as a result I’d say things wouldn’t have cascaded as hard as they have under Kev.
The decline has been rapid.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
There has to be a minimum expectation of whats acceptable and for us this year its 8th imo. As i have said before, you dont improve by accepting mediocrity. This team easily has the capability to be around that 6th spot right now. Its up to everyone at the club to find out the reason why its not happening and fix it.

When the season kicked off did you expect us to finish top 8?

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
I can understand the disappointment given our winning streak and the way in which we have lost the last month. The reality is, there aren't many, if any great coaches available. Kev has bought better balance and depth to the roster. Wishing for a better coach won't make it true. Assistants do a lot of the technical work. Wayne Bennett was a father figure more than anything.

We are losing the ruck. Todays game is built on momentum. If you can't turn teams around, kick for corners, and defend well, you aren"t earning the right to score points. It's all about controlling the tempo. This is something we have done badly for years. It's a spine and quick play of the ball thing. Effort on effort.

I'm wrapped the administration got rid of TPJ, lodge, Ofahengaue and Fifita. Such an imbalanced roster. We would roll down to the 20 with no Milford penetration. Our spine was been weak since 2015. Not much is going to change if we don't strengthen those positions, which is difficult since the scarcity of top tier 1, 6, 7, and 9's.

I think Kev's job is safe considering alternatives and our administrations knowledge that our roster weaknesses can't be bought or magicked away. We got ourselves into a big hole with Cullen and White. 2022 is a big improvement despite the last month. I just want to see in the trials, strong defence, kicking for corners, and a hookers that knows when to run, throw flat, or deep.

Controversial, but I think Sebiold would have been a great assistant coach. That's the ceiling for him though.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
I feel most of our issues really revolve around how we are coached. The players individually can be great, but either are aren't listening, or no one I telling them what to do besides "be resilient"!

- Line speed (as a team and not random players running out by themselves all the time)
- forwards diving to find their front for a quick play of the ball.
- tackling properly and hard/getting the opposition on their back
- building pressure.

All pretty basic things that the good teams do well. We would make our lives so much easier if we did any of these things, but either our players are incompetent or no one has coached this in to them. We have lots of individually brilliant players, but I don't understand how we don't do any of this as a team.

If I can see it, why can't anyone at the Broncos!?!

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I posted the stats in the other thread but Billy had the most missed tackles in the entire team yet never faced being dropped. I’m sorry but when Paix is dropped supposedly because of his defence questions need to be asked.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I posted the stats in the other thread but Billy had the most missed tackles in the entire team yet never faced being dropped. I’m sorry but when Paix is dropped supposedly because of his defence questions need to be asked.

his attack was also ordinary ... even took him a few QLD cup games to get back into some sort of form.

his first couple of games back from the knee inury, 1910 was saying that he'd reverted back to the form where he was second guessing himself. going back to the Qld Cup was good for him and us in the long term

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Absolutely no argument they deserved a spray. Also read they were made to train on Friday, the morning after a game.
The quick decline makes me question if they believe in what they’re being coached.
Wreaks of no to minimum understanding of what the coaching staff are trying to hammer into them.
On the Bellamy thing, I think he communicates and makes every players job so simple. And as a result I’d say things wouldn’t have cascaded as hard as they have under Kev.
The decline has been rapid.
I'd say it's more like fatigue at the end of the year... they've hit a wall... hard.

The fitness that was there earlier on is gone and they've got no line speed as a result.

We weren't conceding 70m sets for the bulk of the year... I doubt Kev decided to completely rewrite the script on tactics from what was working.... "boys I know it was working all year, but from now on we're going to be ultra passive in defence"

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Xzei
  • Scdeac
  • thenry
  • kiwi2
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncos4life
  • davidp
  • azza.79
  • Maroon4life
  • Browny
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  • HVbronco
  • Morkel
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.