THE COACH Kevin Walters

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Can't just support a club when they're winning...
Well, he obviously doesn't or he wouldn't be here. They haven't been winning for four years. He's just a disenchanted fan where the disappointment is still fresh after what looked to be a promising season. We've all been there. He'll come around.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Well, he obviously doesn't or he wouldn't be here. They haven't been winning for four years. He's just a disenchanted fan where the disappointment is still fresh after what looked to be a promising season. We've all been there. He'll come around.
Not only that, but I really do wish the dolphins success. A successful dolphins franchise might just be the kick up the arse the broncos need.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Not only that, but I really do wish the dolphins success. A successful dolphins franchise might just be the kick up the arse the broncos need.
I'll be watching the Dolphins closely as well. I'll probably attend a few of their games in Syd/Newc etc. I'm a big fan of WB so my interest is obvious. I'm looking forward to the Round 1 blockbuster. Bris vs Dolphins at Suncorp.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I'll be watching the Dolphins closely as well. I'll probably attend a few of their games in Syd/Newc etc. I'm a big fan of WB so my interest is obvious. I'm looking forward to the Round 1 blockbuster. Bris vs Dolphins at Suncorp.
Yeah I was wrong about ol’ Wayne when I said he was past it, he showed me that at Souths. Still think broncos Needed to move him on though, his performances did go stale here. The constant selection of milf/Boyd/Macca even though their form sucked really rubbed me the wrong way. Will be happy for Wayne to have a bit more success.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
and as i said ... Ben Ikin deserves his share of the blame for us not having a better hooker than Billy. it's his job to ensure we do.

then If Kev plays Billy ahead of that better hooker, you would have a legit reason to get your panties in a twist
Definitely agree with this. It's not Kev's job to recruit, it's his job to coach. Ikin coming on board is responsible for our roster and direction.

He's done well so far with his recruitment, certainly an upgrade on years past, but he'll need to do far more. If he's deadset about being happy with our 30, then Walters needs to go if we don't have significant improvement by round 10 next year. Or we need significant recruitment over the off season.

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
Kev is getting paid peanuts and loves the club and would likely just be happy to be here. I wouldn't be supprised to see the club throw big money at big name assistants and we have the sutuation where basically all kev does is sign the team sheet while everyone else pulls the strings.

Regarding flanagan, putting his history aside he does appear to have a good football brain. There's guys in commentary like ennis, lockyer and fatty who make very generic comments on the game.

Then you have guys like johns (love him or hate him) Billy, Cronk and flanno who pick apart and identify very technical pieces out of games and you can just tell they'd be handy from some form of coaching aspect.

I remember after the roosters won there last premiership listening to Trent Robinson talk about how they planned to break the Raiders down and the detail he went into it was obvious he's incredibly smart.

I don't really get that vibe from Kev that he's a guy who can watch a team play an instantly pick their stengths and weakness. That's not to say he can't succeed as he may just be a good man manager. What it does tell me is he will need to be surrounded by VERY good people if he is to succeed.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Kev is getting paid peanuts and loves the club and would likely just be happy to be here. I wouldn't be supprised to see the club throw big money at big name assistants and we have the sutuation where basically all kev does is sign the team sheet while everyone else pulls the strings.

Regarding flanagan, putting his history aside he does appear to have a good football brain. There's guys in commentary like ennis, lockyer and fatty who make very generic comments on the game.

Then you have guys like johns (love him or hate him) Billy, Cronk and flanno who pick apart and identify very technical pieces out of games and you can just tell they'd be handy from some form of coaching aspect.

I remember after the roosters won there last premiership listening to Trent Robinson talk about how they planned to break the Raiders down and the detail he went into it was obvious he's incredibly smart.

I don't really get that vibe from Kev that he's a guy who can watch a team play an instantly pick their stengths and weakness. That's not to say he can't succeed as he may just be a good man manager. What it does tell me is he will need to be surrounded by VERY good people if he is to succeed.
He's really not getting paid peanuts though. He's reportedly on 400k a year, or about 7.5k a week, many would love that sort of income. He's highly paid, and should rightly be expected to produce top notch results.

I'm not necessarily sold on sacking Walters, I think that creates its own turmoil but I think both his assistants need to be sacked at a minimum, and the replacements shouldn't be picked by him. Ikin/DD need to pick his assistants, and if he refuses, pay out his contract and sack him too.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I assume the plan was to just plug the hole at hooker with Turpin, Paix & Walters this season while Mozer develops in QCUP ready for next season.

Unfortunately that's backfired, Mozer only got a couple of brief appearances in Cup before his body started breaking down. Just had a full shoulder reconstruction last week and will need at least another 12 months of Cup experience before he can be considered for first grade.

Next option has to be a short-term deal for an experienced hooker, possibly even one over in England.

Mozer was injured in Colts not Cup and plan was never next year.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
He's really not getting paid peanuts though. He's reportedly on 400k a year, or about 7.5k a week, many would love that sort of income. He's highly paid, and should rightly be expected to produce top notch results.

true, at least in terms of a regular job.

but in terms of rugby league coaches, it makes him the lowest paid in the league. Actually, might make him one of the lowest paid men's coaches in Australia (for a professional sports team)

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

I'm not necessarily sold on sacking Walters, I think that creates its own turmoil but I think both his assistants need to be sacked at a minimum, and the replacements shouldn't be picked by him. Ikin/DD need to pick his assistants, and if he refuses, pay out his contract and sack him too.
400k is peanuts, look at what the job involves, it's a 24/7 job that involves not just the top 30 players but who to bring up beyond that, and steering the on field performances of the Biggest club in the country which includes a tonne of media, think of all the stress you get put under when shit hits the fan or changes need to happen.

A job like that in the job market with that much responsibility would be paying higher, much higher then that.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • broncos4life
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • dasherhalo
  • Porthoz
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Locky24
  • Dannymh
  • tajhay
  • mitch222
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.