Legendary NRL scout says Anthony Milford second only to Johnathan Thurston when it comes to talent

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
THE NRL scout who signed Anthony Milford has revealed the abuse and hardship he overcame as a teenager to defy the odds and become an Origin debutant.

Brian Edwards, one of Queensland’s finest league scouts, recalls the Maroons rookie suffering the same taunts as Allan Langer and Johnathan Thurston, with Milford being told: “You can’t tackle”.

Now employed by the Broncos, Edwards has watched more than 30,000 kids in his 20-year reign as an NRL scout. He rates Milford the best young product he has seen since Edwards first met Thurston as a 12-year-old at Sunnybank.

Edwards was convinced Milford had the talent to play NRL, but junior representative selectors would baulk at picking him because of concerns about his size and defence.

Milford will make his Maroons debut on Wednesday night at Suncorp Stadium – vindicating Edwards for showing faith when other scouts turned their backs on the Broncos sensation.

“Anthony has had to overcome a few knocks,” says Edwards, who was working as Canberra’s Queensland-based scout when he snapped up Milford as a 13-year-old.

“A certain recruitment bloke who I won’t name said, ‘This kid (Milford) can’t tackle’.

“The selectors at junior level would see error in him, more so than the brilliance I would see.

“Milf was something special in attack and while he would fall off the odd tackle, he was still in there having a go.

“I always felt he could improve with a bit of coaching and game sense.

“Anthony would always be at the local park playing touch footy with his mates, so when he played on the weekend, he just played with flair and his natural skill.

“Anthony always had this vision ... for all his supposed fault, I thought he had X-factor.”

Edwards still vividly recalls the day he signed Milford.

“He was 13 and playing for Souths Acacia Ridge against Redcliffe at Brandon Park,” he said.

“Out of a set of six, Anthony touched the ball five times and they finished a metre from the tryline.

“Redcliffe got the ball back and one huge kid raced away, he ran 90 metres and Anthony chased and chased. He tackled him where the corner post was and put him into touch.

“At that moment, I said to a scout beside me ‘this kid has something special’.

“I’ve seen thousands of kids in my time but the two best I have seen are Thurston and Milford.

“I was the secretary at Sunnybank rugby league club when Johnathan signed up. He was so tiny, smaller than Anthony, but he was just so hungry and competitive.

“Anthony is the closest thing I have seen to JT. He is similar in his traits.

“I couldn’t wait to watch Johnathan every weekend and Anthony gave me that same feeling.

“I still keep in touch with Anthony and his family. I am proud of where he is today because for all his talent, things didn’t always come easy.”

Maroons halfback Cooper Cronk is relishing the prospect of working with Milford. He admits his defence – the very area that saw Milford written off as a kid – will be tested in the code’s toughest arena.

“We can talk about Anthony’s attack, but Origin is about defence,” Cronk said.

“He has to hang in there and he just needs to make sure that he’s doing all those little things right.

“A lot of people talk about the big plays and the big Origin moments, the reason those things happen is because you do the little things well. Little things make big things happen.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/d08014a078d40fd0c4841adddd8fecfd

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Gee I wonder which club he could possibly be referring to in this article?

A club that employed the same someone who thought JT, Cam Smith et al were too small and too slow to be anything much in the NRL?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
You would think after Langer and Toovey they wouldn't have the "too small" attitude.

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Legendary NRL scout is a bit of a loose term thrown around here! Cyril Connel is legendary. Pinky not so much.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Legendary NRL scout is a bit of a loose term thrown around here! Cyril Connel is legendary. Pinky not so much.

I'm curious who it was that passed on so many of the NRL stars running around today that either approached the Broncos or were told they were too small?

Was it Cyril or someone else?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Pretty sure it was Connel who passed on Cam Smith....?

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Pretty sure it was Connel who passed on Cam Smith....?

No Connel wanted Smith, as did Wayne. Connel tried to sign Smith after the 2000 schoolboys carnival in Cairns, but so did Mark Murray and the Storm. Ultimately Smith saw a clearer path to the NRL in the Storm system. The rest is history.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Was it Cooper Cronk or Cameron Smith Hook spotted and recommended to the Storm?

I've got the article that says Hook spotted him in that Under 17s Schoolboy Carnival, but I have no idea whether he was affiliated with Melbourne or Norths at that point.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Was it Cooper Cronk or Cameron Smith Hook spotted and recommended to the Storm?

I've got the article that says Hook spotted him in that Under 17s Schoolboy Carnival, but I have no idea whether he was affiliated with Melbourne or Norths at that point.

I thought storm

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
DAnz4IBXkAAJyGO.jpg:large

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Morgan relegated to standing up, Milford confirmed alpha male of young QLD Five-Eighth's.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I know those picnic tables. Yatala pies. Probably where Oates's stomach bug comes from too tbh.

Yatala Pies is a QLD bogan tradition. If you don't eat that mystery meat you can't play for QLD.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Steak & Mushroom or Steak & Kidney pie from Yatala is basically a tradition / requirement every time I'm driving too and from the Gold Coast. Tastes so damn good!

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.