Matt Cecchin is Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this earlier, good on him. It's a shame that 'coming out' is still such a big deal in this day and age.

On a side note, wasn't he on The Footy Show last year with his 'wife'? :eyebrow:

I think that was Gavin Badger wasn't it Ning? (with badger punching well above his weight)

Last edited:
Ah yep, that's right. My mistake!

The article would've explained it anyway.

Good on him is all i can say. There is nothing wrong about being gay whatsoever. Check out Ian Roberts for example he was a gladiator on the field and a true gentleman off it. His rugby league abilities showed everyone sexuality doesn't mean #### outside the bedroom.

We originally saw Cecchin and his male partner with Gavin Badger and his wife at a Souths away game about 4 years ago (maybe a few more). So this isn't really news to me, we always thought he was very feminine when we first saw him anyway (touch judge in flegg or prem league match). I am just glad he no longer needs to hide it and can get on with living his life.

However he is still a referee and when he hits that field. He will receive whatever comments someone in the crowd can come up with regarding his performence and they will include a few more gay jokes now.

Last edited:
We originally saw Cecchin and his male partner with Gavin Badger and his wife at a Souths away game about 4 years ago (maybe a few more). So this isn't really news to me, we always thought he was very feminine when we first saw him anyway (touch judge in flegg or prem league match). I am just glad he no longer needs to hide it and can get on with living his life.

However he is still a referee and when he hits that field. He will receive whatever comments someone in the crowd can come up with regarding his performence and they will include a few more gay jokes now.

Hes a #### ref, but good on him for coming out.

Not surprised, camp as a row of tents that boy.

Good on him for coming out. It must be hard..

Did I read right? He has a kid? Does anyone know if it's his to another partner?

Yeah but the kid has just finished his HSC so he would have had him when he was about 20. I think the article said that he didn't realise/accept that he was gay until he read Ian Roberts' book, so he was probably leading a straight lifestyle for a while.

Good on him for coming out. I'd love to see some players do it (there has to be a few floating around). That would start to make a big difference for kids in school who are terrified and depressed because of their sexuality.

Lucky that Cecchin works for Rugby League.

Article from 2008.

Former state premier Jeff Kennett has provoked a gay rights storm by backing a football club that sacked a trainer for being gay.
The Hawthorn president and potential Melbourne lord mayor sparked calls for his sacking after saying Bonnie Doon Football Club was within its rights to sack veteran trainer Ken Campagnolo after it found out he was gay.

"The club felt that once this had been pointed out and you had this gentleman there who was obviously close to young men - massaging young men - it ran an unnecessary risk and that's why it decided it was best that he not perform those duties again. So the club was trying to do the right thing," Mr Kennett said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/kennett-gay-storm/story-e6frf7l6-1111117025363

Its 2012, only religious nuts would find this "shocking".

What's more unfortunate is that this is still news and a courageous act in 2012...

No wonder Corey Parker was so worried when Cecchin was touching him in a game last year

Pfft! I'm religious & I don't find it shocking. I think what you mean to say is "only hate filled homophobics would find this shocking" let's put our judgement away shall we.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • scobie
  • The True King
  • levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Morkel
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.