McGuire a lock to take Parker's spot

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Who would be the best option to start at lock for us in 2017?

Do we go with an established forward (Thaiday/McGuire/Blair)?

Need a Taumalolo type with size, speed and power (Tevita Pangai Junior/Joe Ofahengaue)?

Or a Parker/Fensom kind (Jai Arrow/Mitchell Dodds)?

To me, it depends.

If you just want a defensive player to tighten up the middle and try to fill the void that Parker will leave, Dodds would be my choice.

If you want a bit of both worlds, then Gillett.

I thought he did quite well in his short stint at lock under Griffin and to me, we aren't seeing the very best of him on that right side because Hunt is better at attacking right to left rather than the other way around. With Gillett at lock, we would see him roam around more and we could better utilize his attacking ability such as his ballplaying skills.

I don't think we can afford to move McGuire and Blair from prop so they must stay there, and none of the younger blokes are ready to start there.

Last edited:
Gillett is one of the few players to have seemingly mastered defending on an edge. He will be wasted in the middle. I am expecting Arrow to be the permanent 13 somewhere through next season, but there are potentially 3-5 others who could arguably play there. Unfortunately, like in Gillett's case, the experienced candidates like Blair or McGuire just leave a hole elsewhere.

I'm a fan of Tevita Pangai. Want him to increase his minutes playing at lock, don't care if he starts or comes off the bench.

Rotating Arrow and Pangai is the best choice.

Arrow seems solid in defence and can take a hit up, Pangai provides that Taumalolo spark.

Glenn and Gillett are way to small to provide make impact with hit ups through the middle and would tired very quickly from defending against props.

Thaiday's too slow and old, wouldn't trust him to play big minutes. Would rather see him as an impact bench prop, like early 2015.

McGuire and to a lesser extent Blair, would be great at prop but we really need to sign a big starting prop to fill their hole.

What is the better strategy?

The way the cowboys do it starting with their power forwards (scott, tamou, taumalolo)

Or starting with the good defending hard workers to take the initial punishment so the power forwards are fresh?

Not sure anymore

I read that McGuire said that he wants to replace Parker and that he is confident that he can do it.

I read that McGuire said that he wants to replace Parker and that he is confident that he can do it.

I'm sure he could, but I hope he doesn't.

Who replaces him at prop?

TPJ and Ese'Ese have big wraps on them, but they have shown they aren't starters yet. TPJ especially. He gets gassed quickly and you just don't want that from your starting props.

McGuire may have to wait another year.

McGuire would be my number one choice but like others have said we don't have enough props to cover the loss.

I'm thinking arrow could be given the first shot. With bench to cover any minutes he can't make it through. Which Glenn appeared to be doing when Parker came off last year.

McGuire would be my number one choice but like others have said we don't have enough props to cover the loss.

I'm thinking arrow could be given the first shot. With bench to cover any minutes he can't make it through. Which Glenn appeared to be doing when Parker came off last year.
No way arrow starts. Nor is he even a guaranteed 17er.

Gillett is one of the few players to have seemingly mastered defending on an edge. He will be wasted in the middle. I am expecting Arrow to be the permanent 13 somewhere through next season, but there are potentially 3-5 others who could arguably play there. Unfortunately, like in Gillett's case, the experienced candidates like Blair or McGuire just leave a hole elsewhere.

Agreed about Gillett. I have no doubt he could do a job at lock but I don't think he would be as effective.

If we had signed Napa, I would probably go with McGuire at lock interchanging with TPJ. But now I honestly have no idea.

I like the idea of gillett at lock too his got so much more potential and we don't have front rowers to compensate for McGuire or blair we do have second rowers though like glenn or sua but personally I want pangai jr as lock put him in and let him play his own game the guy is a beast especially with second phase play just give him a hard preseason

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Griffo
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Organix
  • Rookie Alan
  • BroncoFan94
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.