McGuire to test open market

He is going to get some big offers coming his way IMO.

How much do we have left in the cap?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6161918588?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

We need to do everything we can to keep him. I hope signing petero for 2012 doesnt influence McGuire decision in a bad way because IMO he should be the number 1 prop at our club.

I doubt it will, Civoniceva isn't a longterm prospect and only signed a one year deal meaning his not a longterm threat to a longterm starting position in a side and given his already signed to the end of next season it hardly puts the Broncos in a tough position where Civo's future in the side is problematic for retaining McGuire. As for McGuire should be the Bronco's number one prop, not proven that he is at present, his had a great run since returning from injury that can't be denied, but you can hardly argue his form pre injury during his time at the Broncos would have him placed as the number one prop at the club, consistency for a full season needs to be proven and thats where next season comes into it.

Last edited:
I reckon if McGuire goes DraggX will be a Union man4lyf..

Typical nothing article from the Daily, McGuire is going nowhere.. Slow news day that's all they made something up.

We are definitely going to lose a bunch of these players sooner or later, as their value goes up. Can't keep them all.

We are definitely going to lose a bunch of these players sooner or later, as their value goes up. Can't keep them all.

If the NRL did the cap right we should have been able to keep them all.

It would be great if we can keep Josh. He is a prime example of Broncos recruiting which is developing players at a young age and making them into legends, examples being (Darren Lockyer, Shane Webcke, Jack Reed, Tonie Carroll, Lote Tuquri, Wendell Sailor, Darius Boyd). Unfortunatley we can't keep all of them and some of them have to be released.

Bit early to list Reed as a legend ;)

I'm always surprised when this sort of thing is considered newsworthy (though I shouldn't be, it is the Daily Tele after all). I would assume that 90% of players off contract would "test the open market", if only to ensure that they get what they're worth from the club they really want to stay at.

I'll start to get concerned if we read consistent reports about McGuire actually considering these offers.

Slow news day.

McGuire's been chased for awhile, likes the Broncos too much and unless things really go sour, can see him staying with us.

If this is true, he has already gotten a big head... P*sses me off with these young players forgetting the club gave them their 1st NRL experience, and they already want to look around..

As for McGuire should be the Bronco's number one prop, not proven that he is at present, his had a great run since returning from injury that can't be denied, but you can hardly argue his form pre injury during his time at the Broncos would have him placed as the number one prop at the club, consistency for a full season needs to be proven and thats where next season comes into it.

spot on .. running around like headless chooks and bending over hand and foot (bit of a mixed idiom there!) for young, promising but unproven players is NOT the Brisbane Broncos' way of doing business. It's the South Sydney and Roosters (et al) way of doing business but not the Brisbane Broncos' way.

McGuire isn't the Broncos' "number 1" anything at the moment. As pointed out by a couple of posters in this thread - he's had a very strong second half of a season .. That doesn't put him ahead of the other front rowers in the club's stable who've been there and done it for year upon year and at all levels of the game.

if this is a media beat-up then so be it ... if this is McGuire getting ahead of himself after a couple of solid months of football then he's headed for a fall.

FFS, his manager says in the article "his preference is to stay at Brisbane"...mole hill, watch me turn you into a mountain :P

He is off contract at the end of next year. They're only publishing this cos his name's been in the paper the last couple of weeks so they're getting more milage off him.

Active Now

• Dony Eliakim
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Browny
  • Gaz
  • blacknwhite
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Big Del
  • RolledOates
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.