Melbourne Are Just Awesome

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Anonymous Person said:
the broncos had the chance to sign all 3 before melbourne did IIRC. bennett and co didnt want any of them for one reason or another.

That's why they deserve credit, they identified their talent and developed them into elite footballers.

The salary cap breach is so fucking irrelevant to this topic. Done the crime, paid the fine (heavily), it's over. Move on.

Counting down until the Bennett vs Bellamy vs salary cap debate. The Godwins law of BHQ.

This is true if you're discussing the legitimacy of their latest premiership. There was really nothing more they or the NRL could have done to rectify the problem. However, apart of the reason why Cronk and Slater became what they did is because they got to develop with an illegal squad around them to conceal their faults.

Don't worry subs about those topics. From now on we're going to dump any of those topics into another thread so people can discuss those topics to their hearts content.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I WANT SOMETHING ELSE, TO GET ME THROUGH THIS!

Couldn't help myself.

It's amazing how none of their key players have ever suffered a freak injury of some sort. I mean, a good fitness/conditioning team can help prevent certain injuries, but there's plenty of players out there that have been struck down by entirely unpreventable injuries... yet Melbourne haven't had that misfortune yet.

And I for one hope their luck continues, just as I hope every player on every team in the NRL stays healthy and able to do what they best... Injuries suck, no matter who cops them..

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Why are people wishing season/career ending injuries on their players?

Wouldn't it be more satisfying to beat them at their best and avoid a 'claytons/bradbury premiership' tag?

Like the Dragons in 2010?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Like the Dragons in 2010?
youll get flamed for even suggesting that the dragons only won because the storm were ineligible. wayne bennett fans will have no part of that.

That's why they deserve credit, they identified their talent and developed them into elite footballers.
no doubt, i was agreeing with you - i was pointing out that people like wayne bennett didnt see the talent in slater/cronk/smith. bellamy did, nurtured it and gave them a chance, and theyve grown into 3 of the best football players youll ever see.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
AP, do everyone a favor and keep the Bennett talk out of this thread!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Weren't Slater and Smith already at Melbourne before Bellamy joined then??

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Can we extend the no Bennett v Bellamy rule to Melbourne Storm salary cap breaches?

Sure, this is the Melbourne Storm dump thread.

Beads - Correct, Cronk is another.

Last edited:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Yes Beads you are correct and Bellamy was at the Broncos when Slater was playing at Norths for 2 years. Smith joined the Storm in 2002 once again when Bellamy was with us. It's a shame he didn't sign them to the Broncos when he had the chance.

Bellamy was all but signed with the Tigers for the 2003 season before Mark Murray was sacked and he took over the other News Ltd team.

He got lucky and ended up at the Storm with some handy players but I'd love to have seen what he could have achieved with Farah, Benji and Prince. The Tigers definitely underachieved with the talent they have had for 8 years or so.

Last edited:
Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Weren't Slater and Smith already at Melbourne before Bellamy joined then??
slaters debut year was 2003, same year bellamy became head coach. cronk debuted in 2004. smith was 2002.

either way - broncos didnt want them, melbourne did, then bellamy gave 2 of the 3 a chance.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
the broncos had the chance to sign all 3 before melbourne did IIRC. bennett and co didnt want any of them for one reason or another.

The co was Bellamy AP that is undeniable fact, he was at the Broncos at that time as performance coordinator and assistant coach.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The co was Bellamy AP that is undeniable fact, he was at the Broncos at that time as performance coordinator and assistant coach.
somehow i dont think that bellamy got to choose who the team recruited when he was working under wayne bennett lol.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Right, so Bellamy saw how talented they were, went to Wayne and said these guys could well be the best most dominant players for the next 10 years and Wayne said, listen here Craig your just holding the cat mate, I'm fucking it, are we clear.

And the co in your statement was anyone else at the club but not the ass coach.

I've got it now, just wanted to get on the same page AP .

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The salary cap breach is so fucking irrelevant to this topic. Done the crime, paid the fine (heavily), it's over. Move on.

Counting down until the Bennett vs Bellamy vs salary cap debate. The Godwins law of BHQ.

No way is it irrelevant. Smith was a Titan until a miracle 11th hour increased offer by the Storm, which history has now told us was outside the cap. Take Smith out of the team and you get the '08 grand final (juiced Manly notwithstanding).

Smith, Cronk & Slater are basically worth a 12 point head-start on any other team that has legit retention. So what would any team do if they knew they had effectively a points head-start every game? Defence of course. 90% of what Melbourne do is defence. They only have to recruit and retain players on that basis. The 10% of attack is basically a controlled, manufactured game to advocate the use of Smith Cronk & Slater. That's why the majority of the Storm's discards are useless elsewhere. At the Storm they're simply a tool, they have a narrow pre-defined purpose.

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
The way I see it, the Storm are the Broncos of the 1990's. They expect to win, and they know they can, over any other team with any amount of time remaining. That and they always seem to have another gear to go to. Amazing team with an amazing record. Much as I hate losing to them I appreciate the talent they have and I love watching them play.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
except the Broncos were entertaining. anywhere on the field.

storm strangle opponents. that's not fun to watch.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Can you really credit a coach for developing one of the greats of the game?? I think it is all down to junior recruitment. Whoever spotted Smith, Slater and GI deserve all the credit in the world. I'll give credit to Bellmay for Cronk though. He backed a kid who was playing off the bench as a hooker to be their halfback and he was right.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mitch222
  • azza.79
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.