OPINION New Captain, New Outlook for 2019

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Give it to Gillett in the interim imo. Fifita could be a candidate in time, he's captained almost every level he's played at but obviously he's too green. I'd nominate Glenn but I don't even know if he'll be in the starting side soon and we don't want a Kurt Gidley situation so for that reason he's out. Lodge maybe, he busts a gut every week - imagine the headlines tho lol

I don't think Milf is captaincy material, I don't think he needs the added expectation.

I wouldn't give it to Gillette outright this year tbh, but I'd be naming him (or another candidate) as VC to get everyone used to the idea.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Bird for captain.

I bet everyone is regretting letting Benji walk when he only wanted 300K too

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
I wouldn't give it to Gillette outright this year tbh, but I'd be naming him (or another candidate) as VC to get everyone used to the idea.

Gillett was revving up the troops behind the goal line every try we conceded. He was the first to pat Haas and Isaako on the back after their poor efforts in defence.
Also is striking up a special combo with Nikorima on that right edge.

Still has lots to offer the club after those horrendous injuries, this guy would be captain at any other club.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Gillett was revving up the troops behind the goal line every try we conceded. He was the first to pat Haas and Isaako on the back after their poor efforts in defence.
Also is striking up a special combo with Nikorima on that right edge.

Still has lots to offer the club after those horrendous injuries, this guy would be captain at any other club.

Agreed. I see him as the main candidate to take the captaincy over but I can't see it being taken off Boyd mid season...so the point of my post was name him VC to get everyone used to the idea for an easier transition next season.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Agreed. I see him as the main candidate to take the captaincy over but I can't see it being taken off Boyd mid season...so the point of my post was name him VC to get everyone used to the idea for an easier transition next season.

Co-captain?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
You simply can’t replace your captain part way into a season. We all know and most have been saying for a while that Boyd is a terrible captain, he’s also become a terrible fullback.

He shouldn’t be on the wage he is on or signed as long as he has been, very few were fans of that ridiculous signing even when it happened.

So regardless, replace him as captain next year but not now, that’s a sure fire way to lose the dressing room. By all means though, get him out of fullback ASAP.

Penrith just did.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Milford should be the obvious choice for captain. But alas, reality intervenes.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think Gillo should be our captain. If you looked at experience, effort, body language, and communication on the field and had no knowledge of who our captain is, I think most people would guess Gillo.

Especially with so many young forwards in need of a leader. I think a Gillo/Boyd co-captaincy would work great.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think Gillo should be our captain. If you looked at experience, effort, body language, and communication on the field and had no knowledge of who our captain is, I think most people would guess Gillo.

Especially with so many young forwards in need of a leader. I think a Gillo/Boyd co-captaincy would work great.

Actually, as funny as it may sound, you would think the captain is Bird.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Actually, as funny as it may sound, you would think the captain is Bird.
I think at this point in time it has to be Bird or Milf.

Question to all...have the Broncos EVER had a worst captain than Darius Boyd?

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008

Adam Blair’s cameo? [emoji23]

Boyd’s definitely no Lockyer

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

What was Thaiday like as captain? Can’t really remember

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
didn't they technically have something like 17 captains though ... all they done is picked one of them to be the sole captain

6 I think from memory but they were all stripped and someone else appointed, I understand.

Seemed like a stupid idea from day 1 to me...

Active Now

• Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • The Boss
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Foordy
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.