NRL 2023 Finals Week 3 Discussion

I give the storm a chance to roll the Panthers. Will be a hell of a coaching performance if they can and I'm intrigued to see what tactics Bellamy uses.

If they try bash it through the middle they'll get pumped like they did against us. They need to get the panthers off their game. Throw the ball wide in the first set, kick early and chase hard, just take some risks. Its a catch 22 because if it doesn't come off they'll get flogged but safe footy won't win it for the storm.

He's an absolute shit bloke but i see big Nelson as the key to them getting momentum. If I'm the storm I'm playing him in 3 stints to maximise his minutes and also his impact. I think you need to start him for 15 then get him back on for the period either side of half time then a third stint late in the second half.

Also think Grant has to be playing big minutes. 80 probably lowers his attacking ability so get Garlick in to play tackle bot the first 15 then get Grant into the mix. Finally need to be telling munster to touch the ball at least twice EVERY set. The bloke can pull a rabbit from a hat and i don't care if he gets tackled 50 times in the game, he needs to be challenging the line.

Luai return confirmed. He's playing tomorrow night.

If Melbourne have any chance of winning this, that pack needs to play like they're men possessed. Munster and Grant need to put in a 2020 Game 3 style performance and Hughes needs to play his best ever game.

I don't see it happening. Panthers will win and they will win comfortably.

Penrith surely can't send Luai out there only a few weeks after a subluxation (partial dislocation).

Anyone who has ever dislocated anything significant (not talking a finger here) will know that there are two battles and they're both as traumatic as the other, physically and emotionally. You always second guess your movements after you dislocate a shoulder or a knee (because it fuckin hurts). He obviously passed some sort of a fitness test but it will be the reactive movements he has to make, the ones you don't plan for, like an outstretched arm.

Penrith surely can't send Luai out there only a few weeks after a subluxation (partial dislocation).

Anyone who has ever dislocated anything significant (not talking a finger here) will know that there are two battles and they're both as traumatic as the other, physically and emotionally. You always second guess your movements after you dislocate a shoulder or a knee (because it fuckin hurts). He obviously passed some sort of a fitness test but it will be the reactive movements he has to make, the ones you don't plan for, like an outstretched arm.
Why not? The bigger risk is not playing him this weekend and then throwing him into a grand final against a better team and him getting hurt where the margin of error is less. Atleast if he plays this weekend and gets hurt they will be able to cover it because they could play with 1 interchange the whole game and still beat Melbourne imo.

If he gets through the game sweet then even better.

Luai and Tago playing do present Melbourne with two potential weaknesses in the Panthers' side though. Massive risk.

Why not? The bigger risk is not playing him this weekend and then throwing him into a grand final against a better team and him getting hurt where the margin of error is less. Atleast if he plays this weekend and gets hurt they will be able to cover it because they could play with 1 interchange the whole game and still beat Melbourne imo.

If he gets through the game sweet then even better.

Melbourne are absolutely going to setup plays at him designed to get him reaching and so they should. They're essentially creating a weakness for themselves. I don't care who you are, once you dislocate something like a shoulder, you definitely don't go in with the same commitment and that's a problem.

Melbourne are absolutely going to setup plays at him designed to get him reaching and so they should. They're essentially creating a weakness for themselves. I don't care who you are, once you dislocate something like a shoulder, you definitely don't go in with the same commitment and that's a problem.
So what? What does it matter? Better finding out now against a bad team relative to yourselves or against a Broncos team that even the bookies only have you about a 1.65 shot and the margin for error is low. They will beat Melbourne even if he gets hurt in the game. Atleast they will know whether it can sustain some punishment if he gets through the game sweet. Will make him more confident with it too. Throwing him straight into a grand final would be the worst decision to make.

So what? What does it matter? Better finding out now against a bad team relative to yourselves or against a Broncos team that even the bookies only have you about a 1.65 shot and the margin for error is low. They will beat Melbourne even if he gets hurt in the game. Atleast they will know whether it can sustain some punishment if he gets through the game sweet. Will make him more confident with it too. Throwing him straight into a grand final would be the worst decision to make.

I gather from the way you're speaking you don't fully understand the injury. You could peg rocks at his shoulder, it would be perfectly fine. To dislocate something you have to stretch ligaments and they're not elastic bands, they stay stretched.

It could go again at any time, this week, next week, anytime. The dislocation will occur when he stretches his arm, not when he tackles a bloke front on. Him playing this week and not getting injured doesn't mean he's past the chance of it going again, it just means he has avoided making the movements that would see it come back out. They said they didn't get it back in until he was in the sheds, that usually indicates it was a significant dislocation. They'll need Cogger on the bench again next week.

I gather from the way you're speaking you don't fully understand the injury. You could peg rocks at his shoulder, it would be perfectly fine. To dislocate something you have to stretch ligaments and they're not elastic bands, they stay stretched.

It could go again at any time, this week, next week, anytime. The dislocation will occur when he stretches his arm, not when he tackles a bloke front on. Him playing this week and not getting injured doesn't mean he's past the chance of it going again, it just means he has avoided making the movements that would see it come back out. They said they didn't get it back in until he was in the sheds, that usually indicates it was a significant dislocation. They'll need Cogger on the bench again next week.
I know what it is like. It still doesn't change my point. They are trying it now. What is the downside of playing him? He gets injured now while they have Cogger who has been playing with the group. Atleast they can cover him. If he gets through it will only help his mental state irrespective of whether it is structurally any better.

I would say they would have played Cogger anyway. He isnt holding back some other gun utility. The young bloke that covers for kenny sometimes had been a liability defensively and his attacking game was grossly overrated because he wasn't playing reserve graders week in week out.

It's not any 5/8th. Luai has played origin. Its not some not.al first grader even if the guy is a knob. He is a gun player. You give those guys the chance if the medical guys and himself think he is right. Any other team would do the same I believe. It's a risk that might backfire but that team can cover it if it does.

It’s Cooper Cronk in the GF all over again. Storm will be too busy trying to get at Luai they’ll forget the other bloke
I was actually disappointed with Melbourne and how little they targeted Cronk. I think they were shellshocked early because Sydney went in with a plan to target Addo-Carr under the high ball, it paid off and they were able to get Latrell 1-1 with Chambers which was a total mismatch.

After that, it seemed like Melbourne kept deferring to Brodie Croft down the right and were trying to return serve with Chambers only for it to go wrong, time and time again.

By the time they went after Cronk, Sydney were well and truly on top and it was so telegraphed it would usually result in turn-overs.

It reminded me of Origin II 2017 where JT was playing with a busted shoulder yet they kept going left with Hayne and Hayne had one of the all-time worst games.

Cowboys vs Melbourne head to head is 7-19 in the last 15 years. You've won 2 of your last 14 matches against them. Your overall win-rate since '98 against Melbourne is 27% (Broncos are 25%). Make no mistake, you guys are getting smashed constantly by the Storm as well.
7-19 is better than I thought.... got the most important one in a prelim. Imagine if the Storm beat you in the 2015 grand final. Would have triggered you all even more.

Penriths forward pack will demolish the storm and they will have a comfortable win. The Storms pack is a shadow of its former self these days.

So back in the day I stuffed my AC in my left shoulder, after months off I still didn’t trust the shoulder for at least the first 3 games.

This is back when I was in the army not playing at elite level.

Can’t see how he’ll be confident playing, but he has a massive sense of self importance so hopefully it backfires

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.