NRL debuts for Broncos in 2014

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Off the top of my head I can only think of Molo, who barely even got an opportunity.

Anyone else this year?

Its a bit of a shame that in a year thats now going downhill fast, we've given basically zero opportunities to up and coming players.

I remember Molo struggling a fair bit to keep up in his game. Perhaps that's why he didn't much of an opportunity?

As far as I know, Molo is the only one.

i also wasnt trying to say there are players banging down the door for an opportunity. i admit i dont know if some of the younger guys would even be ready.

just a general observation really. its always nice to see a few new guys (step up) each season

Pretty sure Molo is the only one as well. And remember for about a month of the year Griffin only used 16 players, so there was the chance to give a promising player a bench spot and maybe come on to try and impact the game. Yet another reason why I'm glad Hook is gone as I simply consider him incapable of developing players.

i also wasnt trying to say there are players banging down the door for an opportunity. i admit i dont know if some of the younger guys would even be ready.

just a general observation really. its always nice to see a few new guys (step up) each season

I'm in the same boat in that I don't know if we have any younger players who are definitely ready. But when you look at the others teams they all had at least one guy come in who if they didn't go gangbusters at least gave a good account of themselves. Penrith have Yeo and DWZ, Storm have had Mann and Tonumaipea, Dogs have had Corey Thompson and Moses Mbye, Tigers have had Moses, Warriors have had Fusitua, Souths have had Kirisome Auva'a, Raiders have had Brenko Lee, Eels firstly had Manu Ma'ua and then Moeroa, Knights with Jake Mamo etc etc.

Even if we genuinely don't have someone who was worth taking a chance on, that in itself raises big questions given seemingly every other club has had somebody who was at least going well enough to at least deserved a shot.

Yet another reason why I'm glad Hook is gone as I simply consider him incapable of developing players.

All the first graders he's coached since 08 say hi

All the first graders he's coached since 08 say hi

Where are they saying hi from? A place where their future is a second consecutive season without making the 8? Which was preceded by a season where they limped into the finals and got beaten the first week. Must make for a pretty postcard.

The most troubling thing is that none of these younger players are deemed to have the superstar talent worthy of an early chance or they just haven't been playing well enough to force Stagg off the bench.

I think the method of Griffin is that he doesn't want to throw some young kids in the deep end too early, I personally believe a couple of the U20's would do fine in first grade, maybe off the bench.

But I won't throw a hissy fit about him not blooding like 5 rookies a season, I'm sure he has his reasons.

(And to be fair to Griffin, if there's on area he should be good at, it's who's ready in the U20's and who's not, given he coached it)

I remember Molo struggling a fair bit to keep up in his game. Perhaps that's why he didn't much of an opportunity?

As far as I know, Molo is the only one.

I thought molo was o'k in the short time he had, obviously he didn't set the world on fire but it is a massive step from 20's to first grade as the pace of the game is incredibly different. I'm hopeful that next year he will get more game time against the big boys, I am a strong believer that instead of playing 20's in your last year of eligibility the players should go and play a full season of ISC to prepare them better for the future rather than playing 17/18 year old's in the NYC.

And I am pretty sure you are correct, Molo was the only one to debut this year. Looking at the 20's coming through I don't think that any of the others were even close at all for a call up. I also thought that jordan drew would have been better served playing ISC this year rather than 20's as he was solid last year when he debuted for first grade.

Where are they saying hi from? A place where their future is a second consecutive season without making the 8? Which was preceded by a season where they limped into the finals and got beaten the first week. Must make for a pretty postcard.

I maybe could have been less sarcastic. Game plan is obviously balls and I'm pretty over defending him for coach etc but a large amount of his 2008 squad are currently/have played first grade which would indicate an ability to take players the next level.

I maybe could have been less sarcastic. Game plan is obviously balls and I'm pretty over defending him for coach etc but a large amount of his 2008 squad are currently/have played first grade which would indicate an ability to take players the next level.

I agree he can take them up a level from U20's, but he can't take them to the top level. McCullough is generally a decent hooker but his slow service has always been there and whilst he's more consistent he's really not that much better of a player now than he was 3-4 years ago.

Alex Glenn had a great 2012, but he dipped off in 2013 and has frankly been disappointing in 2014. Started off well under Hook but over the last 3 seasons can you really say he's developed into a better player? Frankly, I think he's regressed.

Matt Gillett has maintained a pretty high level after a stellar debut year, but he's not really been better since, and his flaws remain the same. Started off exceptionally well under Hook but over the last 3 seasons can you really say he's developed into a better player? He's stayed about the same for mine, and as I said, his defensive issues haven't really been addressed over that period.

Josh Hoffman has never expanded his game. He's always been a strong returner of the ball, good at defusing bombs and always runs hard. It was his strengths when he debuted and still are to this day, but frankly since his first grade stint under Hook he's added exactly 0 strings to his bow. Started off well under Hook but over the last 3 seasons can you really say he's developed into a better player? For mine he's been about the same, but made to look worse for playing in a jersey with a 6 on it.

Ben Hunt is one who has been playing his best footy of 2014, but Griffin kept him on the bench for too long. I think if he played some QLD Cup as a half he might even be further along right now.

Josh McGuire is probably the one player who I think has gotten better each year, but by and large, I think Hook has failed to improve the ability/performance of his players over time. For me that makes him bad at development. Others may disagree and they're free to. Hook's gone so I don't care!

Not quoting that novel. You're right about the top level thing! Might have been next year but now Bennett... I'm not going to start that shit again!

To go through an entire year with debuting only one junior for 1 or 2 games is just the height of incompetence.

*sigh*...

Have you ever been so tired that it hurts? Folks, Tuesday was a looong day and that was about all I could muster in response to this thread.

Obviously this is a topic that interests a lot of Broncos fans because for so long the club prided itself on it's ability to churn out first grade talent on a year to year basis.

It was one of it's greatest strengths but inevitably with the retirement and passing of the great Cyril Connell, junior development took a hit and it took the Broncos awhile to adjust to life after Cyril.

It made for some very lean years in the NYC. In particular the class of 93 didn't yield a lot of results with only Cullen emerging as any player or note and even then, he's just a squad player.

I believe the situation has improved and should continue to improve under Wayne but as far as blooding talent in 2014 is concerned...

I don't think Griffin has made any grave errors.

When I look at the crop of talent, I see a few guys who could have been given a game off the bench, maybe trialled in a certain position but none that were crying out 'pick me, pick me'.

Even Francis Molo, a player I hold in high regard, hasn't enjoyed a good season and seems to be struggling in certain areas that he should have addressed by now. The tragedy with him is, just as it seemed like he was improving, he got himself suspended and not long after that suffered a season ending injury.

The rest are probably a good off-season off being ready for any real NRL time.

If Griffin wanted to blood talent, I don't think he should be looking at the NYC anyways. I'm unsure of the logistics, but looking at some of the affiliate clubs there are certain players available who I believe could be viable alternatives and have experience training with NRL players in the past.

I won't rack the coach over the coals for not picking those type of players because I don't have the same access to these sort of players but they're certainly players I'd be calling into training.

So while I understand the frustration, I don't think it's any cause for alarm and when Bennett takes over next year he's going to have plenty of depth to work with.

To go through an entire year with debuting only one junior for 1 or 2 games is just the height of incompetence.

Debuts this year.

Broncos 1
Raiders 4
Bulldogs 3
Sharks 7
Titans 4
Manly 3
Storm 3
Knights 6
Cowboys 5
Eels 4
Panthers 4
Rabbitohs 6
Dragons 1
Roosters 4
Wariors 5
Tigers 3

Active Now

• Inknition
  • Harry Sack
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Hoof Hearted
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • Locky24
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.