NRL "Digital Pass"

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Looks as though you now require a NRL Digital Pass just to view the full match replays on NRL.com. That sucks. For those who subscribed through their Android or iOS app you can only view the replays direct from your device so it would seem that you are better off registering directly from NRL.com with a Telstra account, not through your device via a subscription.

The full match replays are available on the bigpondvideo site for free. I believe it's part of the partnership that Telstra adds full match replays to their site.

The Thusrday & Friday night game are on the bigpondvideo site now.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Oh awesome, so they've lifted that restriction? Might make it worthwhile now!

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I tried the digital pass when the nines were on but couldn't access it despite being a Telstra customer. Gave up in the end as every time I clicked on a game it kicked me out of the app.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
So... Has everyone worked out that they can indeed Airplay to AppleTV from the NRL Digital Pass app on iOS? I'm starting to think this is pretty sweet value now, especially with a decent ADSL2+ connection. Great quality on my 42" 1080p telly - which usually exposes bad compression. Frame is shrunk to about 75% of total screen, but with a big enough screen, it really doesn't matter for the value. Plus, replay's are fullscreen.
is it officially supported now? if not, how do you do it?

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Q31: Can I output the live stream from the NRL App or NRL.com Match Centre to my TV or Monitor via Airplay, Airplay Mirroring or direct cable connection (e.g.: HDMI, VGA etc.)??
No. Under our digital rights agreement with the NRL, broadcasts are restricted to the screen devices upon which they are sold (i.e.: iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, or laptop) and current screen size.
Well, that settles it... illegal it is. :rolleyes:

The new Foxtel apps are pretty good and not as restrictive.
Foxtel Go is free for people with a subscription to Foxtel (works really well)
Foxtel Play (essentially the same app) for people without a subscription to Foxtel, $50/month minimum if you want sports (includes all sport channels).

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Unfortunately violating the terms of service for the app can get our advertising suspended. We avoid the gray area by having a blanket ban on being careful with this sort of stuff.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Nothing illegal about using a device's built-in features, with paid software. But can appreciate the grey area, hence not immediately posting it.

Happy to keep it to myself if it means enjoying it for longer... Sigh, so much for community spirit..
It doesn't matter what your device is capable of doing.
Your exploit is illegal, because it violates the terms of your end user agreement for that application.

And... what Nashy said too!

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Can we talk about VPNs? completely legal and as simple as a chrome add-on to get every game live @ 720p.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Much the same, no. VPN is still against the terms and conditions. It's certainly not designed to be viewed through VPN so it's still violating the spirit of the product.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
No money comes out of my wazoo!

I understand where you're coming from mate, just suggesting alternatives...
Personally, I'd love to see the NRL go towards a solution like the NFL has with its Game Pass.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up. "...used against the purpose intended..." sums up why censorship is needed here. As a paid subscriber to both BHQ and the official NRL App, I'm obviously a staunch supporter of both entities and wish no harm.

@Porthoz, not all of us have money comin' out the wazoo for a minimum of 7 months x $50 for the smallest Foxtel package, just to watch 5 games of NRL per week. The NRL have compromised and created a great alternative for us punters who can't justify (to the missus, mostly) paying $350 per season. It's a great option when on a solid ADSL2+ connection and at $89 for 12 months access to live/replay/historical games, it's justifiable for some of us. Certainly more justifiable than me goin' to the pub to watch a couple of games per week, or at least, that's the way to put it to the missus ;)

Anyway, congrats to the NRL for making this product. Next step, remove the intended 'AirPlay' lock and allow full screen video and the NRL may be able to sustain itself rather than allowing Foxtel and Nein to 'dictate terms' resulting in a flawed product (see scheduling, lack of HD, live games, commentating, agendas, etc), but that's a whole other can of worms.

As good as that will be, it will most certainly eat in to pay TV subscription numbers and it will mean the TV rights will be worth less. It'll never happen. The "digital pass" needs to remain an inferior product due to economies and politics I'm afraid.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Not how the NBA and the NFL do it. Don't get me started on the NRL's infantile approach to sourcing funds via advertising and TV networks. The NRL product needs to be valued more. Notice how you never see advertising all over the stadium or uniforms in the NFL or NBA? Yes, I understand the US has more market share. If I knew the complete answer, I'd likely be a millionaire, but I don't.

There's your answer. Relocate all the teams to the US of A where they have one hundred times the population ;)

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Anyway, congrats to the NRL for making this product. Next step, remove the intended 'AirPlay' lock and allow full screen video and the NRL may be able to sustain itself rather than allowing Foxtel and Nein to 'dictate terms' resulting in a flawed product (see scheduling, lack of HD, live games, commentating, agendas, etc), but that's a whole other can of worms.

iPad HDMI Cable | eBay

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Yeah, that too is illegal... it doesn't matter the method you use, you're violating the user agreement.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Not how the NBA and the NFL do it. Don't get me started on the NRL's infantile approach to sourcing funds via advertising and TV networks. The NRL product needs to be valued more. Notice how you never see advertising all over the stadium or uniforms in the NFL or NBA? Yes, I understand the US has more market share. If I knew the complete answer, I'd likely be a millionaire, but I don't.

NFL Game Pass is not available in the US, much as the NRL international thing is not available here. It's really much the same.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • cento
  • Brocko
  • BruiserMk1
  • The Don
  • teampjta
  • johnyE
  • OzeMike
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Boss
  • eggstar10
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mrslong
  • kman
  • thenry
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.