NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those playing at home ... if you can't get to a TV and the Broncos are playing on channel 9, then use the 9Now app instead of the NRL Live Pass ...

9Now is 10000000 times better

I was at the pub on the Goldy tonight and went out to the smoking area where there were no TV’s. I tried to load up both NRL app (telstra member) and Foxtel app (paid member) and neither worked. Fucking useless. 9now worked straight away.

isn't it funny that the free app is the one that works the best ...

Matt Isenhuth, I'm calling it early. This guy has a beautiful style in defence and runs hard. I've not seen a lot of him but he is super impressive to these old eyes. If he maintains his early season standard he'll likely play Origin. I know that's a big call but shit, he's handy.

Pretty impressive speed.

S7m31Kj.gif

Knights chief executive Phil Gardner has laid down the law to the club’s players after a series of off-field incidents, including an episode of “push-and-shove” involving twin towers Daniel and Jacob Saifiti.

Rumours have surfaced about high-profile Newcastle players and their extracurricular antics, prompting Gardner to make inquiries at several licensed establishments. He was satisfied nobody had breached the club’s code of conduct but felt a blanket warning was warranted to remind players of their obligations in public.
“We have work to do on our standards of behaviour,” Gardner told Fairfax Media. “Not just the new players we have brought in, but our local guys as well. The standards of behaviour need to improve. We’ll be taking a very tough line with anyone whose standard of behaviour is not what is expected of a professional rugby league player.
“These guys, regardless of who it is, are paid well to play rugby league and also to uphold standards when they are out in the community. We’ll investigate any time anything is reported to us, whether it’s a push and a shove or whatever, and we’ll deal with it under our code of conduct.”
In the past fortnight, Fairfax Media has been told of after-hours incidents involving former Roosters Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Mitchell Pearce, and the Saifiti twins. Gardner confirmed there had been “a couple of minor incidents out there ... [but] nothing that’s required me to do anything more than give them a kick in the pants”.

He said reports about Kenny-Dowall and Pearce had filtered back to the club. “We’ve investigated both those and we spoke to the bar staff and security, and both those incidents, we’ve not had to take any action against the players,” Gardner said. “What we have done is remind them that, hey, this is Newcastle, you’re on display. Here in Newcastle, everyone is interested and if our players go out, they attract attention.”

Moreover, Gardner said if players misbehaved, his myriad connections around Newcastle would ensure he was informed. “If something happens, I’m probably going to know about it before these guys get home,” he said.
Gardner said the Saifiti brothers were remorseful after admitting to a physical confrontation at home.
“The good part is the boys self-reported,” he said. “They put their hands up and said they’re sorry. They were given the rounds of the kitchen, but we’ve actually moved on. Under the code of conduct, there was nothing that required us to take any formal disciplinary action.”
Gardner added: “Have you ever had a push-and-shove with your brother?” He said players were “entitled to have social lives” but they needed to be “mindful” that they were role models.
“If anyone breaches those standards, under our code of conduct we have a range of options, from fines, to suspension, through to termination of contracts,” he said.
Meanwhile, Gardner was delighted with the 23,516-strong crowd for the season opener against Manly. “We were actually concerned that the 6pm Friday start would impact on our crowd,” he said. “That’s probably the toughest time slot, from a crowd point of view. There are obviously people who can’t get to the game.”

Lol having to remind grown adults to not be dickheads

Lol having to remind grown adults to not be dickheads
Grown adults ? Really ? Young adults sure but you're not really fully matured until your 30's at the earliest I believe. Pissed up horseplay is expected and as long as they're smacking each other and it's not too serious I'd say a quick words okay,

Grown adults ? Really ? Young adults sure but you're not really fully matured until your 30's at the earliest I believe. Pissed up dog play is expected and as long as they're smacking each other and it's not too serious I'd say a quick words okay,

Fixed for Pearce.

Fixed for Pearce.
Lol, I was re-reading my quoted post and instantly thought, how did I write 'dog play' ? Autocorrect ? ...............Then nek minnit ,doh !! HA HA

Just heard on the Continuous Call Team that Todd Greenberg will be making an announcement about the Hall of Fame and Immortals programs, tomorrow morning. he will be accompanied by Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer and Mal Meninga

hmmmm

There are few things in league that make me smile more than seeing Hayne lose. Suck shit idiot. Cancer.

KNIGHTS halfback Mitchell Pearce has fired the first barb ahead of his showdown with the Sydney Roosters on Sunday, mocking the fans of his former club for their perceived lack of support at Allianz Stadium.

Buoyed by a second straight win to start 2018 and feeling the love from the Newcastle fanbase after his Round 1 golden point heroics, Pearce used the post-game press conference following Sunday’s 30-28 win over Canberra to ensure he receives a frosty reception on Sunday.

As they collected a third consecutive wooden spoon last season an average of 15,619 Knights fans turned out to watch their side play at home, the fourth highest average home attendance of any team in 2017. A crowd of 23,516 assembled at McDonald Jones Stadium in Round 1.

Preliminary finalists, the Roosters drew an average of 15,387 fans last year and had 12,226 show up for their first home game of the year on Friday against the Bulldogs although Pearce’s comments are likely to ensure a lot more are in attendance this week.
“It will be an exciting game and hopefully there’s a big crowd down there,” said Pearce, who chose to leave the Roosters in the off-season after the club signed Cooper Cronk to a two-year deal.
“I’m sure we’ll get plenty of Knights fans that come down.
“We seem to get a lot more than the Roosters fans.
“I’m excited to go back there and I’m sure we’ll have a couple of laughs in a big game with a few of my mates.”

Pearce, who spent 11 years at the Roosters for 238 games, including the 2013 premiership, said the hype around the contest was good for the NRL.
The NSW Origin player said he was glad to be entering the clash in winning form.
Pearce’s former club is coming off their first win of the season, redeeming themselves from a shock first-up loss to West Tigers by thumping Canterbury 30-12.

“The last two weeks have been like debuting again,” Pearce said.
“We’re worried about improving our backyard and the Roosters are obviously a tough side coming off a big win.”

I'm looking forward to watching Ponga again this weekend. The sky is the limit for this kid and he is a Qlder to boot.

What a fucked up thing to say to one of the best indigenous players of all time, hope they ban the piece of shit for life.

What a fucked up thing to say to one of the best indigenous players of all time, hope they ban the piece of shit for life.

I agree it is bad and the guy should be banned - but in saying that I find this on the lower end of the racism pole. The guy is saying it because he is passionate about his team and because Greg Inglis is a good player. It's almost like a perverse respect thing.

It's not the same thing as someone being denied access to a pub for example because they are indigenous.

I'd give him a 5 year ban.

The guy is saying it because he is passionate about his team and because Greg Inglis is a good player. It's almost like a perverse respect thing.

No he didn't and no it's not, he said it because he's racist and wanted to insult him and/or get a reaction.

I agree it is bad and the guy should be banned - but in saying that I find this on the lower end of the racism pole. The guy is saying it because he is passionate about his team and because Greg Inglis is a good player. It's almost like a perverse respect thing.

It's not the same thing as someone being denied access to a pub for example because they are indigenous.

Ah, the old racially abuse because I respect him and am passionate about my team. Happens all the time...

I am curious as to how you came to this conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • LGH
  • ettybay
  • Big Del
  • broncoscope
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Redux
  • Jedhead
  • Lostboy
  • Astro
  • Totally Unr3al
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.