NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard on the radio this afternoon that Adam O'brien has re-signed with the Knights for another 3 seasons (until the end of 2027). if he serves out his contract he'll become the Knights longest serving coach ever.

I'm not sure what the Knights are thinking. I mean he's been at the club 4 years and his team has performed well for maybe half a season :rofl
Might be just a stability thing like with us. They were plagued with rumours of him getting the arse, with good reason, early on last year. Has to be the reason because, like with us, who was going to throw massive cash at him?

Funny opening game of the ESL. Ese'ese got himself binned in the first 10 minutes, Pele got himself sent off just before half time and Hiku, the guy who was too slow for centre when he left in the NRL, playing fullback and goal kicking and missing almost everything.

Two red cards and a two yellow cards.

That Hull derby is easily the most intense derby game over there.

Good video showing Rookies of the year from 1998 till now and what they ended up being.

For you masochists that enjoy/suffer through NRL 360, Paul Kent will reportedly return.

I hope people realise he was cleared of any wrong-doing and don't hold his 'heel' persona against him. Hopefully the producers show some common sense, allow him to be the voice of reason and avoid any witch hunts.

For you masochists that enjoy/suffer through NRL 360, Paul Kent will reportedly return.

I hope people realise he was cleared of any wrong-doing and don't hold his 'heel' persona against him. Hopefully the producers show some common sense, allow him to be the voice of reason and avoid any witch hunts.
Stoked if that is true, only guy with half a brain that has been on there since Ikin left.

Tallis was so much better and given how dumb he is at times, tells you all you need to know about Kent.

The NRL has gone from strength to strength in the face of adversity, and is now the country's biggest sporting code. And it's all because of CEO Peter V'landy's, who has delivered a record income of over $700 million in 2023:

“They are remarkable numbers – no other sport is near us. The other sports are battling, but the NRL has never been in a better spot. We are celebrating record revenues. The game nearly went broke during Covid. We were in the basement. But after Covid, we have gone to the penthouse and I’m very proud of the game’s recovery with the support of people like Andrew Abdo, Kate Jones, the Commission, the clubs and the great entertainers we have in our players."​
“It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league, especially the fans. The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan. Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented. We will get to $1 billion in revenue. We won’t do it next year, but my aim is to get us to the $1 billion mark and I have no doubt we can continue to grow.”​
“To be honest, we are already the No. 1 sport. AFL is No. 2. They are behind us _ despite what they think. In terms of viewing figures, we are No. 1, you can’t dispute that. Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport. I like the fact they are doing a great job because it makes us want to compete and get better. They know we are around and we will keep them honest.”​
“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial. Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions. I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years. Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks. We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding. We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this. I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at."​
“Expansion in 2026 or 2027 is absolutely on the agenda. My motto is ‘Defy Impossible’. My attitude is never say never. People always underestimate us … but I’m determined to keep improving the game.”​

I can't remember what, if anything .....eventuated from the players union considering strike action last season? Pay upgrades...?

The other sports are battling

Turn it up. The AFL's broadcast deal alone dwarfs the NRL's. I know this guy loves to spin things but there is no hiding how big a screw up he made with the current NRL rights deal.

Turn it up. The AFL's broadcast deal alone dwarfs the NRL's. I know this guy loves to spin things but there is no hiding how big a screw up he made with the current NRL rights deal.

Haters gonna hate. Hard to spin this to fit your Ą̴̛̖̯̠̖̉̌̃̇̾̓͂͘G̨͖̩̳̻͔̹̐͆͆̚̚͡E̸͖̮͓͚̱͊̌̃̀͌̆̚Ń̡̡͇̺̥̬̠̯͎̜̏̀̈́͐D̲͓̝̤̠̿͂̔̋̕͡A̢̧͓̺͈̘̮̎́͋̐̋̊̿̈͞͞ but you're free to give it your best.

ScreenScreenshot 2024 02 21 at 15 14 41 Peter Vlandys reappointed in ARLC role as NRL reports

Here are the AFL's financials:

Hopefully he slows his mouth a bit when condemning players accused of stuff till all the facts are out

Haters gonna hate. Hard to spin this to fit your Ą̴̛̖̯̠̖̉̌̃̇̾̓͂͘G̨͖̩̳̻͔̹̐͆͆̚̚͡E̸͖̮͓͚̱͊̌̃̀͌̆̚Ń̡̡͇̺̥̬̠̯͎̜̏̀̈́͐D̲͓̝̤̠̿͂̔̋̕͡A̢̧͓̺͈̘̮̎́͋̐̋̊̿̈͞͞ but you're free to give it your best.

View attachment 26171

Mr Vlandys saying the job is stressful and he may not see out his new 3 year contract .

View attachment 26171

What's the total AFL revenue for 2023? That article seems to say everything but that lol.

NRL did so well in 2023, because the Broncos did so well in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Griffo
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hurrijo
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.