NRL Grand Final - Storm v Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
The problem is Thurston returns next year and Morgan's role changes.

I don't think it's going to be easy flicking the on and off switch.

He'll go back to flicking those flukey ass passes for feldt out wide.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I can't help but feel that this is Morgan's purple patch of form and while he may still be a very good player, he won't reach these heights again and the pendulum will swing.
Thing is he isn't blitzing the opposition using athletic individual brilliance.

He has an excellent forward pack to work his game management skills which I don't believe will fade away, feels like we're seeing the making of a premier half.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I'll put my hand up regarding Morgan. I always thought he was a perfect partner for Thurston, but would never be a dominant half, capable of not only organise a team around him, but grow into the role and develop a kicking game, all the while still delivering individual brilliance. Absolutely full credit to the bloke, although he has been helped by great coaching and having one of the game's GOATs showing him the ropes.
Whether he'll be able to maintain the level of performance is a question, but he has undoubtedly proven he is a top half in the game.

This Cowboys team deserves nothing but credit, and I couldn't give a **** about their (bandwagon or not) dickhead fans.
I don't think they'll be able to get past the Bellyache cheating robots, but I'll definitely be riding them home!

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
Going to savour this one.

Future origin halves pairing in Munster and Morgan, going at it.

JT13 rewriting the book on the go forward game.

The Big 3 playing for the last time tigether at club level.

Gavin Cooper, depreciatingly calling himself the Steven Bradbury of NRL captains, having a career year.

Lewis was the best player I ever saw, but Smith is capping one of the most dominant years (and careers) ever this weekend.

Bellamy and Green. The best spine mentors in the game.

Just going to crack a fine bottle of red and absolutely savour.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Thing is he isn't blitzing the opposition using athletic individual brilliance.

He has an excellent forward pack to work his game management skills which I don't believe will fade away, feels like we're seeing the making of a premier half.

I hope you're right but this level of form is difficult to replicate, even the likes of Johns, Daley & Lockyer had their struggles.

Not only does Morgan have to resume the role of second fiddle, there's no guarantee the side around him will be capable of producing the same type of footy this time next year.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Right now Morgan runs the ship and having that freedom is paying off. However, before he can really grow into the role, he's got to revert back to being a second receiver where the dynamic will be different. By the time he'll get another opportunity to run the ship like he is right now, it won't be the same and there's no guarantee he will be able to replicate this type of form we're seeing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see other halves pass him by in the coming years. He'll still be up there because even before then he was a very good player, but this type of form is incredibly rare.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Teams haven't had a chance to figure him out yet as the dominant playmaker. You'd think that would be a factor, similar to Hunt in '14 etc. With Thurston coming back though, he'll arguably be better - with better experience in clutch moments and what's required to control games, but with Thurston taking most of the heat.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Morgan is playing within a very good structure. He struggled at first because he wasn't used to calling the plays but now he is.
The Cows have a string of set plays which they run through where every player knows their role . Every play is designed to cause a defensive misread or get the D to react in a particular way. Morgan then reads what has happened and makes the decision on where the ball goes which he has been getting right a lot.

Watch around the 42 nd min of the chooks game and see that set play, just brilliant. They didn't score this week but did against the Eels.
The point I guess is if the structures are played to and a playmaker has to be changed then things should keep working. Theoretically of course.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
If anything JT coming back just makes them deadlier as Morgan knows he can do the job.

Unless it becomes like when Joey and Locky played together

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Seems like you're trying to diminish his form by looking into the future.

It just seems pointless and overly cynical to me.
Would agree with this. His only argument is based on a hypothetical.

I doubt Morgan is going to unlearn how to kick 40/20s, put players through gaps, direct players around the park because JT is back next year.

If anything, wouldn't be surprised to see JT slowly take a backseat considering Morgan is the present and the future and JT is almost the past.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I wasn't making an argument, I was sharing an opinion and that's this is the best we'll see of Morgan.

Savour it.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

I doubt Morgan is going to unlearn how to kick 40/20s, put players through gaps, direct players around the park because JT is back next year.

If anything, wouldn't be surprised to see JT slowly take a backseat considering Morgan is the present and the future and JT is almost the past.

Morgan isn't going to unlearn that but it's not going to be his job next year because that's Thurston's job. That's why he is paid the big bucks.

Morgan will go back to being the supporting half while Thurston controls the team and the game.

When have you ever seen Thurston take a back seat? It's not in his nature. Even when he was injured.

He has one more season in the NRL and he wants that premiership. There is absolutely no way he takes a back seat.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I wasn't making an argument, I was sharing an opinion and that's this is the best we'll see of Morgan.

Savour it.
Yeah like I said he won't unlearn all these things because JT is back next year, so I fail to see how he'll get worse.

The only thing I can agree with you on is that perhaps he won't be in this vein of form forever, but there is zero to suggest he cannot reach it again. Every player has ups and downs but JT still plays to a high level most games, as does smith, as did lockyer, as did Johns etc etc.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
When have you ever seen Thurston take a back seat? It's not in his nature. Even when he was injured he wasn't taking a back seat.

He has one more season in the NRL and he wants that premiership. There is absolutely no way he takes a back seat.
Actually hes already taken a back seat. Compare thurston in the early 2010s compared to 2015 onwards. He doesn't have to be involved in everything because he knows his halves partner is more than capable of creating something in his own right.

That's taking a backseat - no longer needing to have your hands on the ball every big play.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yeah like I said he won't unlearn all these things because JT is back next year, so I fail to see how he'll get worse.

The only thing I can agree with you on is that perhaps he won't be in this vein of form forever, but there is zero to suggest he cannot reach it again. Every player has ups and downs but JT still plays to a high level most games, as does smith, as did lockyer, as did Johns etc etc.

It's not so much a case of unlearning, moreso he'll have a different role and by the time he has to become the dominant playmaker he won't have the same team mates around him.

As brilliant as Morgan has been, there's been no shortage of support.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's not so much a case of unlearning, moreso he'll have a different role and by the time he has to become the dominant playmaker he won't have the same team mates around him.

As brilliant as Morgan has been, there's been no shortage of support.

He was useless while Coote and Granville were out, which puts things in to perspective while we've had Macca and Boyd out/crippled.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I bet Thurston is glad he extended before Morgan hit this type of form. Would have been interesting if the cows had to decide now if they should hand over a mill a season to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Strop
  • lakers133334
  • kat00
  • Spoon
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.