NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olam and Blore have traded clubs, it is now official.

Olam -> Tigers
Blore -> Storm

Olam and Blore have traded clubs, it is now official.

Olam -> Tigers
Blore -> Storm
I wonder just how much Olam was on at the storm. Its the reason why they shit canned him at the end of the year to try and move him off the books. Bellamy isnt too happy about the lack of forwards they have. Must suck having to play within a salary cap now for Bellamy

I wonder just how much Olam was on at the storm. Its the reason why they shit canned him at the end of the year to try and move him off the books. Bellamy isnt too happy about the lack of forwards they have. Must suck having to play within a salary cap now for Bellamy
It's funny how we look back at 2023 as such an awful year for Melbourne, when they still finished Top 4 even without one of their star players in Papenhuyzen.

Even if Papenhuyzen retires, it looks like they have a quality prospect waiting in the wings in Fa'alogo.

It's funny how we look back at 2023 as such an awful year for Melbourne, when they still finished Top 4 even without one of their star players in Papenhuyzen.

Even if Papenhuyzen retires, it looks like they have a quality prospect waiting in the wings in Fa'alogo.

I think that is more of a comment on the state of the NRL as a whole and Bellamy as a coach more than anything else. There were two teams last year and then daylight. Melbourne that happened to be more consistent than most other sides. Their forward pack was ok but nothing like it has been in the past, their backs were ok but their spine will keep them in most games, which is exactly what happened. They got bullied by us, the Panthers and anyone else with a decent forward pack and halfback. Fortunately for Melbourne, there aren't many sides with both of those things.

I think that is more of a comment on the state of the NRL as a whole and Bellamy as a coach more than anything else. There were two teams last year and then daylight. Melbourne that happened to be more consistent than most other sides. Their forward pack was ok but nothing like it has been in the past, their backs were ok but their spine will keep them in most games, which is exactly what happened. They got bullied by us, the Panthers and anyone else with a decent forward pack and halfback. Fortunately for Melbourne, there aren't many sides with both of those things.
That was certainly the case come September, but Melbourne did beat Brisbane earlier in the year. Yes Reynolds suffered an early injury, but Melbourne were well on top beforehand and were making Brisbane look foolish in defence.

I think the Dolphins coming along and pinching their three most experienced forwards upset the apple cart and a few players found themselves elevated before their time. Despite having a rough year by their standards, they were right up there and looked poised to improve heading into 24.

That was certainly the case come September, but Melbourne did beat Brisbane earlier in the year. Yes Reynolds suffered an early injury, but Melbourne were well on top beforehand and were making Brisbane look foolish in defence.

I think the Dolphins coming along and pinching their three most experienced forwards upset the apple cart and a few players found themselves elevated before their time. Despite having a rough year by their standards, they were right up there and looked poised to improve heading into 24.

On this point, given Olam is not officially gone, do you think they will give Howarth a shot at centre? He seems to be getting paid a lot to do absolutely nothing first grade wise.

I think the comment on them having a bad year was more to do with how far off the pace they looked compared to Penrith and Broncos... and then it showed in the finals where they were absolute cannon fodder in week 1 and the prelim final.

Penrith pantsed them in every game last year and other teams appeared to have caught up to their level rather than them setting the standard.

Long may it continue though and hopefully they fall off a cliff into tigers level of oblivion and dysfunction!!

On this point, given Olam is not officially gone, do you think they will give Howarth a shot at centre? He seems to be getting paid a lot to do absolutely nothing first grade wise.
I can certainly see him rotating through there and filling a similar role that Hoffman played when he came through.

I'm curious to see if they move Coates to the centres. That always seemed to be the long term plan and they have huge raps on him down there.

It is hard to know what has gone down here but it seems pretty poor form from the Warriors and now this poor kid is basically going to have to cover his own medical expenses you would think. Really sucks for Volkman.

It sucks for Volkman, but if anything his management needs to come under scrutiny here. So it would appear Volkman trained with the Dragons but his contract had not yet been registered? That would open up a serious can of worms should he have received an injury during that training, and his management should have been well on to that. In the Dragon's case, they dodged a bullet, unless it can be found that they breached the contract by not registering it immediately (which may have happened, which will save the player and the manager here). And the Warriors are under no obligation to disclose anything.

It sucks for Volkman, but if anything his management needs to come under scrutiny here. So it would appear Volkman trained with the Dragons but his contract had not yet been registered? That would open up a serious can of worms should he have received an injury during that training, and his management should have been well on to that. In the Dragon's case, they dodged a bullet, unless it can be found that they breached the contract by not registering it immediately (which may have happened, which will save the player and the manager here). And the Warriors are under no obligation to disclose anything.

His management yep, they should also be under scrutiny here but surely you have a duty of care to be upfront with someone you are trying to business with, it would fall under 'good faith' I'd assume. It might not be illegal but it isn't a good business strategy moving forward. The other alternative concern here and would provide some defense for the Warriors as a club is, did they employ the Broncos' medical staff from the Seebottom years? Pretty big difference between some 'shoulder soreness' and the need for a full reconstruction.

In any case, I feel for Volkman here. He has given up his contract with the Warriors in good faith and now is without employment and will have to cover his medical expenses himself, that sucks. Note, I am also not really blaming the Dragons here, though I don't know all the facts either.

Rule is five days after announcing a player to register the contract. But I have never heard a club does not do a medical before the announcement.

The previous club doesn't put much effort into those reports, and I certainly wouldn't take it as comprehensive or complete.

Nonregistered players not training was one of the key demands last year from the Union. He shouldn't have been on that field.

Dragons have done things in the wrong order. They were so keen to announce a signing they didn't do the medical first.

You know things are going badly for you when the Dogs are out-organising you- they did the medical on Taukeiaho found a foot injury and pulled the contract- before they even announced it.

The the manager getting a release Christmas Eve and no contract to registered is so poor.

The release and contract should have been lodged together.

Rule is five days after announcing a player to register the contract. But I have never heard a club does not do a medical before the announcement.

The previous club doesn't put much effort into those reports, and I certainly wouldn't take it as comprehensive or complete.

Nonregistered players not training was one of the key demands last year from the Union. He shouldn't have been on that field.

Dragons have done things in the wrong order. They were so keen to announce a signing they didn't do the medical first.

You know things are going badly for you when the Dogs are out-organising you- they did the medical on Taukeiaho found a foot injury and pulled the contract- before they even announced it.

The the manager getting a release Christmas Eve and no contract to registered is so poor.

The release and contract should have been lodged together.
This kind of disorganisation is really out of character for The Dragons.

My biggest gripe is with the clubs medical departments. Its becoming a little bit to common for a player to turn up to a new team and then they discover they need a major surgery that should have been picked up at the end of the previous season. Instead of doing it then, the clubs like nah your good, go have your off season instead of ordering them to go get surgery. I was beyond pissed when Bird turned up from the Sharks and needed surgery immediately because the sharks didnt even bother to tell him to go get surgery immediately when their season finished.

My biggest gripe is with the clubs medical departments. Its becoming a little bit to common for a player to turn up to a new team and then they discover they need a major surgery that should have been picked up at the end of the previous season. Instead of doing it then, the clubs like nah your good, go have your off season instead of ordering them to go get surgery. I was beyond pissed when Bird turned up from the Sharks and needed surgery immediately because the sharks didnt even bother to tell him to go get surgery immediately when their season finished.
yep. I think if a club discovers a new recruit has a chronic/long standing condition that could have been fixed by surgery at their previous club, the previous club should foot the bill.

Player welfare.

yep. I think if a club discovers a new recruit has a chronic/long standing condition that could have been fixed by surgery at their previous club, the previous club should foot the bill.

Player welfare.
Think there should be legal ramifications for the previous club and its duty of care

That's not true with Bird- He didn't just turn up with the injury the Sharks medical team met with the Broncos medical team in 2017 when the Broncos played the Sharks and discussed Bird's shoulder. Broncos were aware of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Battler
  • Ondi
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.