NRLW NRLW and Women's Rugby League General Discussion 2023

Maddy Studdon, plays for the Sharks now. She's not their first choice half though with Tonegato there now.
though she went well at the eels surprised she didnt stay there

though she went well at the eels surprised she didnt stay there

Pretty sure she's been playing for the Sharks lower grade team for a long time so I think it made sense for her to sign there for NRLW.

Yep they’ve really harmed a promising product by losing the tribalism that fuels local sports.

“Women’s sport” is not the problem with growing the game, look at the World Cup, tennis, surfing etc where the women’s coverage is elite. It comes down to having athletes to throw your support behind and the NRL have completely fked it up.

At least the origin is still good because we know the players and can feel an affinity to them.

Yep they’ve really harmed a promising product by losing the tribalism that fuels local sports.

“Women’s sport” is not the problem with growing the game, look at the World Cup, tennis, surfing etc where the women’s coverage is elite. It comes down to having athletes to throw your support behind and the NRL have completely fked it up.

At least the origin is still good because we know the players and can feel an affinity to them.
The NRL fucked something up? I don’t believe it!

Didn’t even watch the W Origin. Couldn’t think anything other than them all being packs of disloyal players but it’s honestly probably not their fault - it’s the nrlw for not funding it properly so the girls feel they have to swap clubs to chase their salaries.

I get it, it doesn’t make it right though

My concerns over the fast-tracked expansion are seemingly coming true

Along with fans like on here lamenting the mass player movement, while Canberra and Wests have so far jumped ahead quickly, Dragons and Eels have predictably slumped because they’ve been cannibalised by other teams, mostly Wests eating Eels and Sharks eating Dragons

It’s a tricky balance and I understand the short term-long term view, but I think 8 teams with a longer season was the way to go.

In the 4 and 6 team seasons you effectively had all rep teams playing each other and fans were excited for new players to get to know and support.

Now you have teams full of NSW Cup players that no one knows and teams getting easily beaten with questionable game quality. But again, it gives them a platform and a rising tide kind of deal to make something of themselves

Wouldn’t surprise me if they felt the pressure from AFLW to have more teams, but they have their own set of problems that the AFL still haven’t fixed

I hope people do try and stick with watching the girls, because aside from the Dragons and Roosters, most teams have majority of their squads on two and three-plus year deals, so there is some consistency in the short term at least

The next thing they must do is play longer and earlier to 1. give a better origin product, and 2. Make it so that losing 3 games doesn’t spell the end of your season

My concerns over the fast-tracked expansion are seemingly coming true

Along with fans like on here lamenting the mass player movement, while Canberra and Wests have so far jumped ahead quickly, Dragons and Eels have predictably slumped because they’ve been cannibalised by other teams, mostly Wests eating Eels and Sharks eating Dragons

It’s a tricky balance and I understand the short term-long term view, but I think 8 teams with a longer season was the way to go.

In the 4 and 6 team seasons you effectively had all rep teams playing each other and fans were excited for new players to get to know and support.

Now you have teams full of NSW Cup players that no one knows and teams getting easily beaten with questionable game quality. But again, it gives them a platform and a rising tide kind of deal to make something of themselves

Wouldn’t surprise me if they felt the pressure from AFLW to have more teams, but they have their own set of problems that the AFL still haven’t fixed

I hope people do try and stick with watching the girls, because aside from the Dragons and Roosters, most teams have majority of their squads on two and three-plus year deals, so there is some consistency in the short term at least

The next thing they must do is play longer and earlier to 1. give a better origin product, and 2. Make it so that losing 3 games doesn’t spell the end of your season

I think the Roosters are the problem. Like I the men’s game, they have no fans but while every other team is being cannibalised, they just attract more and more stars. They are going to smash everyone, so the casual fan just doesn’t care because it’s boring.

It’s such a shame because the first few seasons were great.

Kennedy Cherrington hit with a 4 game ban for her dangerous tackle against the Knights.

I would have given her an extra game for laughing afterwards.

Kennedy Cherrington hit with a 4 game ban for her dangerous tackle against the Knights.

I would have given her an extra game for laughing afterwards.

I think it was embarrassment and a bit of shock ... at least I hope so

For those who haven't seen it:

The Tigers girls have just followed the guys mo - pulled a loss out of the jaws of a win.

Is the Broncos women’s game not being televised?

Iz alzo on Kayo - currently iz zhowing zome kid crawling on zideline.

Just give the Roosters the trophy now.

They aren't being beaten this year.

I was so excited for the womens the first few seasons. I openly stated confidently that it was more exciting to watch than the mens, as it didn't have the wrestle and was more like league should be.

We lost Millie, I stuck with it.

We then got ripped the **** apart and I have not watched a single game this season and nor could I be fucked to. Most of our best players are running around for other clubs, and while that's their prerogative, as a fan I just cannot hack seeing OUR players running around for other clubs, and no longer knowing half the players in our club.

NRL have absolutely fucked something really good. Again. I'm sure it will stabilise, and I might come back to it then. But at the moment, as someone who was a very vocal supporter of the woman's game, I'm just done with it. It's not the girls' fault, but **** the NRL, as always.

Just give the Roosters the trophy now.

They aren't being beaten this year.

Yeah pretty much

Aiken going there was the killer blow for every team this season I think

The average strength of every team has dropped but the Roosters have at least half the national team at worst

I’ll be very interested in their retention after this year, as Boyle and only two or three others are signed beyond this season.

I only suspect because Roosters, but wouldn’t surprise me how much of a sombrero they have or some deceptive recruitment in the form of “we’ll pay you x amount this season and then we’ll re-sign you next season on a much bigger amount” and they do that with the whole team but only make good on half of them but claim they were paying all of them on high wages

I also wouldn’t want to be banking on that mercenary staying all 3 years, probably another situation they’ll take advantage of where they’ll be using her money 5 years down the track

The Knights have certainly stamped themselves as a threat to the Roosters winning the trophy the past couple of weeks.

It's going to be them two in the GF for sure.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncsNBundy
  • RolledOates
  • Skathen
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncos4life
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Painin the Haas
  • kman
  • Midean
  • Financeguy
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.