[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
But what Hook reiterated today is that Rugby league is a team sport, and it's his job to get the best 17 players on the field.

As long as Maranta's on the field, he isn't doing that.

Xavier

Xavier

NYC Player
Mar 24, 2013
As long as Maranta's on the field, he isn't doing that.

Didn't have many options this year.
Copley & JYY out all season. Kahu, Reed, Hodges all had stints on the sideline.

And with Stagg/Glenn playing in centres, couldn't put another back rower in the backline.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Didn't have many options this year.
Copley & JYY out all season. Kahu, Reed, Hodges all had stints on the sideline.

And with Stagg/Glenn playing in centres, couldn't put another back rower in the backline.

Yep ... certainly a year to forget ...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
And a lack of speed and finishers.

Maranta bombed half a dozen tries last season by either putting a foot in touch or trying to step inside when all he had to do was dive.

Speed was the killer though.
We made a lot of good line breaks but no one was supporting and we didn't have the speed to run the distance.

Hoffman was the fastest, and he's no speedster.
Reed, Maranta, Hodges, Kahu, Norman were all too slow.

I thought Oates was pretty quick. At least Uate would have thought so.

And outright speed, while so effective, is no less important than support play, so there is more than a single option when a line break is made.

I also think that Reed and Hodges are not as slow as you make out. Hodges may not be that quick over long distance, but he has chased down some pretty quick players over shorter distances with those long strides of his

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Milford named man of the match in Samoas belting of PNG

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'd also like to point out that the Samoa coach asked Anthony where he would like play for the RLWC, and he said his preferred position was Fullback.. that could pose some issues.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I'd also like to point out that the Samoa coach asked Anthony where he would like play for the RLWC, and he said his preferred position was Fullback.. that could pose some issues.

oh...that is interesting.

I think he will feel differently in a Broncos spine. With the way I see it, McCollough and Hunt will take over the organisation, sort of a, Cronk & Smith cobination, leaving Milford to look for opportunities. If Milford is a bronco for 2014, we will have a pretty exciting spine that could see the longjevity of our success mirror Melbourne's of the last 6-7 years. Very exciting.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

Where did he say this?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It's really because he lacks creative ball playing skills, it becomes really obvious the more you watch him. He's a finisher, not a creator. A ball runner who wants plenty of room to move in. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Hunt next year.

Though to be honest, the Roosters did manage to win the Grand Final with very little creativity in their halves and fullback, though they did have an insanely well performing forward pack and SBW making up for a lot of their halves shortcomings.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I thought he said he plays mostly first receiver, To be honest he sounds like he's a bit shy, and doesn't want to offend anyone, or blow his own trumpet when he's answering questions.

PNG BRONCO

PNG BRONCO

Oct 18, 2013
Gutted watching my own country get belted by Samoa, but at the same time excited to see Vidot & Milford play. Milford may appear to be a finisher rather than a ball player but he's still young & gives us plenty of depth in our spine..... should be interesting to see us with alota attacking power, something I feel we've been lacking for a number of years.... also frees up the likes of Glen & Gillet to focus on returning to their rock solid defense like they used to do when they weren't shifting to the centers.... All in all I'd say we have a pretty good roster to work with in 2014

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
Just because Milford isn't a creative player doesn't mean he never will be. If he does end up at the Broncos next year, I'll be interested to see how he improves his creativity. If he does, that's a mouth-watering prospect.

Xavier

Xavier

NYC Player
Mar 24, 2013
I think even Milford gets lost in the stories.

It wasn't that long ago he was saying he preferred the halves (where he had actually been playing). He isn't good enough defensively for fullback.

He's shown more than enough to be put in the halves next year for us. Him and Hunt just need to work on their kicking games. Especially short kicking.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It wasn't that long ago he was saying he preferred the halves (where he had actually been playing). He isn't good enough defensively for fullback.

He's like Barba, he'd just need a good offseason there for practice (if whichever team decided to play him at fullback that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Footy Fanatic
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • MrMoore
  • Mr Fourex
  • Jedhead
  • jd87
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • kat00
  • TimWhatley
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.