Origin ideal was an original idea, says Blues chief

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
NSWRL chairman Colin Love has dismissed the suggestion a document on how to rebuild the state's Origin team is a rehash of a paper sent to his organisation by an internationally renowned sports trouble-shooter earlier this year.

After the Blues' fifth straight series loss the NSWRL commissioned former Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan to work as an independent consultant and to review the state's approach to Origin as a means to identify where it could improve.

* NSW's next coach to have no ties to an NRL club;

* The coach reports to a NSWRL high performance subcommittee;

* The coach be based at a ''neutral'' office such as the NSW Institute of Sport;

* NSWRL appoint a high performance manager;

* Use former NSW Origin players as mentors;

* Provide NRL club coaches with reasons to embrace the loss of their players to NSW;

* Formulate an emerging players program and groom them for 2013-14 and beyond;

* Conduct a series of short pre-Christmas camps to develop tactical, strategic and mental skills;

* Stage pre-Origin camps to foster a mindset where NSW win via controlled passion and by out-preparing Queensland in all aspects;

* Make the NSW Origin side the most professional football team in Australia;

* To have a budget to fund the rebirth of the NSW Origin team.

full article: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 16cyx.html

So basically this reports is telling NSW officials that they need to copy what QLD have done [icon_lol1. QLD have done nearly every one of those points for the past 5 years. (except maybe the ones where the coach reports to a high performance committee) [icon_lol1. how original can the ideas be when they are already being used north of the border [icon_razz1

They should scrap City v Country too. Honestly it does nothing.

The Rock said:
Get off your high horse!

Why do they have to be original?? Why not copy QLD? After all, it's worked for QLD for the past decade so why not do what they are doing?!

Good on them. At least they are looking to change for the better.

I'm not saying they have to be original ... it is them who are claiming to be original when their not, thats what i am laughing about. I don't care if they copy everything QLD do with regards to origin footy ... we'll still kick your ass

Jeba said:

Yep, and it's embarrassing to have people like Matt Cooper feign injury to miss out on selection.

NSW aren't going to win games with a soft-**** like Cooper in the team. Get rid. He is the epitome of what is wrong with the players NSW select.

ningnangnong said:
Jeba said:

Yep, and it's embarrassing to have people like Matt Cooper feign injury to miss out on selection.

NSW aren't going to win games with a soft-**** like Cooper in the team. Get rid. He is the epitome of what is wrong with the players NSW select.

the problem has been with guys like Cooper feigning injury to get out of that game is that they take the word of the players CLUB doctor and don't do their own checkup. and off course the clubs don't want their players playing in the useless City vrs Country "selection trial" thats not really a selection trial considering most of the positions have been already selected.

City vs Country as an origin trial concept needs to go. However I think they can keep it as an exhibition match but don't sell it as an origin trial...

I reckon they should still play it but only pick "emerging origin players" in it. No one over the age of 23 or something.

The Brizz said:
I reckon they should still play it but only pick "emerging origin players" in it. No one over the age of 23 or something.

QFT

I was thinking it should be played pre-season, right when fans are hungry for any kind of football and without the pressure on selections you'd actually get to see some quality sides.

Only problem is with the All-Stars game I'd imagine clubs would be reluctant to let their players go away again for another week, especially their senior players but that's the only alternative I can think of because at the moment...it's really just a waste of space.

Big Pete said:
I was thinking it should be played pre-season, right when fans are hungry for any kind of football and without the pressure on selections you'd actually get to see some quality sides.

Only problem is with the All-Stars game I'd imagine clubs would be reluctant to let their players go away again for another week, especially their senior players but that's the only alternative I can think of because at the moment...it's really just a waste of space.

Could always play it on the same day as the All stars match.. Makes it a festival of footy. [icon_shru

That's an option although it would probably undermine the importance of the game somewhat.

Big Pete said:
That's an option although it would probably undermine the importance of the game somewhat.

what is the importance of the game exactly?? For the locals to swing signs around saying YOU'RE SORRY NOW..... FFS.

Huh? You're sorry now?

It's to give back to the country community who have developed some of the biggest stars in the game. Country Rugby League does a lot for the game so in away it's about honouring them.

Personally, I think if it's not going to get the proper representative match treatment...then it shouldn't be played.

Big Pete said:
Huh? You're sorry now?

It's to give back to the country community who have developed some of the biggest stars in the game. Country Rugby League does a lot for the game so in away it's about honouring them.

Personally, I think if it's not going to get the proper representative match treatment...then it shouldn't be played.

BP,

After the Indig All Stars won their were idiots holding signs saying "You're sorry now"

Ohhhh...the All Stars game.

Well yeah that's pretty obvious and I think it's a good concept...honours not only the aboriginals but the fans.

I was talking more about City/Country which I believe if it is to take place needs to be a stand alone game away from the NRL season.

Big Pete said:
Ohhhh...the All Stars game.

Well yeah that's pretty obvious and I think it's a good concept...honours not only the aboriginals but the fans.

I was talking more about City/Country which I believe if it is to take place needs to be a stand alone game away from the NRL season.

i actually think the All Stars concept is dangerous. It's basically setup so that the Aboriginal All Stars HAVE to win. If the "white supremacists" win then it's just another example of whitey keeping the black fella down :P

[icon_lol1. good point Coxy.

Judging by the way the All Stars played (Aboriginals are known as the Dream Team I think...) they certainly knew this and all they did was play half-hearted footy. Not to mention, Brett Finch did play the majority of the game at five eigth, if you'd remember Lockyer got injured at some point (along with Yow Yeh, gee we had a lucky run with injuries hey).

All stars is a great concept as long as the community treats in as an exhibition match. It should be like the NBA all stars feel - just a match to see everyone mess around and watch some superstars play footy.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.