Origin will make Milford 'bulletproof'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
JOHNATHAN Thurston insists being in Origin camp will be the best thing for Anthony Milford’s development, saying the attacking sensation will return to the Broncos feeling “bulletproof”.

Thurston’s revelation that he wants to play in the series opener this Wednesday night has raised concerns Milford could have his dream of an Origin debut shattered.

Milford has been named in the No.6 jumper but if Thurston defies the odds to play his 37th consecutive Origin game, the Broncos whiz would leave Camp Maroon empty-handed after an eight-day stay.

There is a view Queensland coach Kevin Walters should have ruled Thurston out immediately to give Milford clarity as he prepares for the biggest game of his career.

But Thurston dismissed suggestions speculation over his fitness was unfair on Milford, arguing his stint in Camp Maroon would make the 22-year-old even more potent for the Broncos.

“If I was his age and had the opportunity to spend the full week with the calibre of players in this team, I’d be licking my lips,” Thurston said of Milford.

“It’s a wonderful environment to learn and to better yourself.

“You walk away after being in this environment thinking you are bulletproof. You want to be a better player than when you came in here and that’s what this camp will do.

“Whether Milf plays (Origin I) or not, his game will go to another level just by being in here.”

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is privately miffed at Queensland’s handling of the Milford affair.

Bennett leaves for Auckland without six Maroons players — Milford, Darius Boyd, Sam Thaiday, Corey Oates, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire — for Saturday night’s clash against the Warriors.

Thurston’s Cowboys coach Paul Green recently hit out at the demands of the representative season on clubs, who pay players’ wages, but the Maroons maestro says there is an upside to Origin camps.

“I understand the coaches have their hat on,” Thurston said. “The Broncos have a game to win this weekend, so I understand where Wayne is coming from.

“But for Milf, the benefits he will get out of this week (learning from Queensland’s elite) will far outweigh his week with the Broncos.”

Thurston says if Milford is given the green light to make his Origin debut, he will not be expected to produce the game-busting brilliance he displays for the Broncos.

“Anthony is the chief at the Broncos, but we don’t need him to be that in the Queensland team,” Thurston said. “We just need him to do his role and play to the best of his ability.

“He has been 18th man before in camps, I’ve had a bit to do with him. We have guys like Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk to get the team around the park and create opportunities. He just needs to play off the back of that. He just needs to know his role within the team and not try to overplay his hand.

“He is an exciting talent and I have full faith he will get the job done.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/152bee392b72f5dc19216ab2c0f4010c

Totally agree......and I'm sure WB knows it as well.

Makes me think just how real is Wayne's sandy vagina.......

I agree too, but **** the way Thurston is talking here. "Milford will be good, IF I don't play".

Ultimately....Brisbane will be the winner.

I agree too, but **** the way Thurston is talking here. "Milford will be good, IF I don't play".

I can only suggest that Thurston thinks he will be alright come game time......

You would hope at the latest, they will declare his fitness by Monday night.

to me it sounds like thurston is 100% playing. they just dont want to outright say it. kinda feel for milf and i will personally be a little less excited for origin if milford is out. ( even though i think thurston increases our chance of winning).

to me it sounds like thurston is 100% playing. they just dont want to outright say it. kinda feel for milf and i will personally be a little less excited for origin if milford is out. ( even though i think thurston increases our chance of winning).

I think Thurston is definitely playing.

After the Sharks game he said he was very close to playing against the Sharks and that if the Cowboys were playing next week, he would be 100% fit.

agreed. its a shame even though milf has been hot and cold for us i think he woulda really rose to the occasion playing around the likes of smith and cronk. now he might never get that chance.

agreed. its a shame even though milf has been hot and cold for us i think he woulda really rose to the occasion playing around the likes of smith and cronk. now he might never get that chance.

I feel the same. He would learn so much and gain so much confidence. It will be a pity if he doesn't take the field.

If that happens, all we can do is hope that he still learns a lot just by being in camp.

"now he might never get that chance".........uhmmm, there's always next year.

Unless Cronk and Smith are retiring too. :wink:

Bennett is apparently having kittens about the Milford/Thurston problem. I personally think it's enough to piss off the pope the way how this whole QLD camp is panning out. The Boyd v Slater situation was pathetic, Morgan made an excellent point tonight on Nrl 360 that people were going to complain no matter about who was selected at fullback. So basically it's just an excuse to try and put shit on Qld.

Bullshit interview, as much as there is some truth as to Milford's development and benefit, it screws the Broncos big time.
I wonder if he would feel the same about it, if the boot was on the other foot, and it was the Cowboys playing in NZ missing 5 players, and had another very important player taken of them for the benefit of attending camp maroon?

This tells me that Thurston almost certainly will play, and the QRL / Walters used the strategy of naming Milford at 6 to get him into camp, giving zero shits about the impact to the Broncos...

I'm 100% behind Qld in State of Origin no matter what, but this shits me no end.
Of course, this can be solved by moving SOO to weekends, which won't affect any clubs, or at the very least not pair the team traditionally most impacted, playing away to the team traditonally least impacted by Origin!

This is just saying 'yeah it'll be great for him, until we say 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Everyone who has a beef with Wayne just needs to drop it. They know what he's like, and they'll never change him. Do they actually think they're 'better' than him just by cunting our (their) club and players just to get one up on him? None of them are getting any younger, just bury the hatchets ffs

Wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was orchestrated from first to last just to mess with some heads south of the tweed

Wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was orchestrated from first to last just to mess with some heads south of the tweed

Exactly, haha. Chances are they have every intention of playing milf, and that all of this is to make NSW think that Thurston is playing and that this was just to get Milf into camp to spite Wayne. NSW prepare for Thurston, and then Milf runs out at Game 1.

Typical Queensland Origin mind games.

Well your all wrong, Thurston has been ruled out of game one. Milford to make origin debut.

I just saw that! How can one be ruled out just under a week before, surely its a day or two before decision.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • westy316
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • dirtyharry
  • lynx000
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • Skathen
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.