Our new halfback should be

Im not going to bother arguing about this anymore , Wayne will pick the best option. But you and Foordy seem to be very hypocritical , you guys get so bent out of shape when your opinions get questioned.

As Foordy said.

Little sick of Hunt getting blamed for everything that happebs whilst people make doe eyes at Taylor despite his significant shortcomings.

Hi guys. Very new to the forum but thought I'd voice my opinion on this Hunt vs Taylor issue.

If I had to choose one or the other right now I'd go with Taylor not because I think he is a better player then Hunt but because I think the type of player he is would suit us better. Hunt is a running half with let's be honest a pretty dam bad kicking game at the moment. Taylor is your more passing kicking half who likes organising the team from what I've seen of him. I think him and Milford would complement each other's games. Hunt and Milford and very similar in the type of football they like to play.

The broncos need a half that can get us repeat sets and find the grass on a 5th tackle kick. We don't need a running half with a bad kicking game.

Like I said I dont necessarily think Taylor is the better player but I think he is the better fit for us right now with Milford at 6.

Considering the game was over at half-time, I'm not sure if I'd read into Taylor's second half.

His first half was poor, not only did he struggle defensively but his biggest strength proved a weakness. He tried to bite off more than he could chew on a penalty kick at a crucial juncture in the match and then he gave away a 7 tackle set not long after that.

His second half was impressive and I disagree with him only having a kicking game. His cut-out for Hurrell created an opportunity out of nothing and was better than any pass I've seen from Hunt in a long, long time. The problem is there weren't a lot of stakes at that time.

I can completely understand where the frustration is coming from in regards to Taylor. He was just as bad if not worse than Hunt in the first half where the game was won and lost. A promising second half doesn't really redeem his effort.

Dont think Hunt led us to the victory at all. We won despite of him, not because of him tbf. I would actually go so far as to say if Hunt doesnt respond pretty soon Wayne will drop him. His confidence looks shot to bits. Hopefully comments like Tommy Raudonikis fire him up. If they cant, i dont think anything will.

I thought Taylor was fine second half for Titans. He didnt get a great deal of protection in the first half.
Agreed.
The problem with Hunt, as with many of our players is that because they are put in a position, people automatically think they are if not already, soon going to be "great".

Hunt has shown the last few years that he does not have what it takes to be a great halfback, and that is fine and no slight against him, not everyone can be "great" or even consistently really good.

You can tell the guy tries his absolute guts out every game but he just doesn't have what really good or great halfbacks have.

He is a good halfback but not what you would call a top quality elite halfback playing at the highest level. In fact you could say he struggles at the highest level and apart from having a his best season ever 3 years ago, he has not improved since or maintained that level.
So he is basically playing as good as he possibly can, what you see is what you get. And having Milford outside of him does not compliment his play in anyway.
Do you think anyone in 10 or 20 years time will look back at the great Broncos halves of Milford and Hunt? Answer is no, they won't because they are both struggling.
Milford is brilliant in broken play but it is quite apparent that the pairing of these 2 has been a failure from the get-go.

The only way Hunt will improve is when he goes to the Dragons and he has less pressure, and less expectations on him, I personally think he cannot wait for this season to be over and reset his playing clock with the Dragons, his game will probably improve because he is financially secure for the rest of his life, and he will not have the weight of a whole City on his shoulders, only the fickle Dragons supporters, who probably won't go too hard on him because they have low expectations of their team as a default setting.

what frustrates me about these discussions is that none of these players taylor, elgey etc are certainties on our books, but we have back up players listed on the books now. if as everyone seems to saying they arent good enough to make the step up why do we have them. i would have though the priority would be to have players with potential on our books now. if we dont, sign them, not just one but enough to give us a chance of one stepping up. 1,2,3 years development in them.

what frustrates me about these discussions is that none of these players taylor, elgey etc are certainties on our books, but we have back up players listed on the books now. if as everyone seems to saying they arent good enough to make the step up why do we have them. i would have though the priority would be to have players with potential on our books now. if we dont, sign them, not just one but enough to give us a chance of one stepping up. 1,2,3 years development in them.

We had them, either we let them go or they were signed out from under us. That is the way it happens sometimes unfortunately.

i went and watched souths, wynnum and norths today. the understudies were ordinary across all games.
offa was solid for souths and worked hard, for some unknown reason the muppet of a coach at souths started fai on the bench!!! poor decision.
scarlett, nikorima and murphy were not up to nrl standard. its only round 1 know but they will need to improve out of sight to even be considered...
probably the pick of the contracted lads was frank molo.
on a side note, cory jensen for townsville was enormous. he has a huge engine for a front rower.

i went and watched souths, wynnum and norths today. the understudies were ordinary across all games.
offa was solid for souths and worked hard, for some unknown reason the muppet of a coach at souths started fai on the bench!!! poor decision.
scarlett, nikorima and murphy were not up to nrl standard. its only round 1 know but they will need to improve out of sight to even be considered...
probably the pick of the contracted lads was frank molo.
on a side note, cory jensen for townsville was enormous. he has a huge engine for a front rower.

How did George Fai go?

he was ok, nothing too flash. he should have been in the run on side though. by the time he came on souths were down 16 to nil.
That was a extremely scrappy affair, or was it normal? (I havnt seen too many Q cup games in the past few yrs) Drop balls galore and the ref wouldnt put his whistle away. I expected a bit more from Scarlett tbh

I wouldnt expect potential replacements to be nrl standard right now, but we need to have players atleast capable of filling a role should an injury occurr. We're not the storm, but we could learn a bit in the way train their replacements, having them capable of performing the same role, running the same routes etc. In our case, kodi seems to be the most obvious like for like switch at half, with scarlet someone destined for oportunities further down the road. Why are these the only two players on the books being mentioned though? And if they are it why?

That was a extremely scrappy affair, or was it normal? (I havnt seen too many Q cup games in the past few yrs) Drop balls galore and the ref wouldnt put his whistle away. I expected a bit more from Scarlett tbh

to be fair it was a stinker of a hot and humid day.
the standard is generally a lot better, you are right as well with the ref... he loved the sound of his own whistle

scarlett didnt have many options to go to, but again i agree he didnt really get too involved overall

I hope that Molo can continue to improve and impress to force his way into selection. I still am a fan of Molo and he could be a gun impact player.

Ash Taylor was best player today game. Some of his kick was so good. I don't think gold coast titans would let him go.

Ash Taylor was best player today game. Some of his kick was so good. I don't think gold coast titans would let him go.

Whether or not the Titans want to let him go is completely irrelevant in today's game. Players hold all the power.

Whether or not the Titans want to let him go is completely irrelevant in today's game. Players hold all the power.

no they don't the Raiders showed that with Milford ... and Milford actually had a get out clause that he tried to use

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.