Player Retirement and Interchanges

4evaBroncs

U18 Player
Jan 4, 2015
Hey guys, do you see players in the future having prolonged, similar or shortened careers? I could see future generations having longer careers with the advancing technologies and them keeping proper care of their bodies etc.

On the other hand, there is an issue of player burn-out as well and with e.g. injuries shortening a player's career. I can't find an easy fix to this solution, as other factors need to be considered such as marketing and business, which are probably higher priorities (according to the NRL). After all, the World Cup was still a massive success even with half the Aus team missing due to injury.

Shortened interchanges to avoid wrestling have also been proposed and I wonder if this was to be implemented, would it have an effect on this?
Johns calls for interchange shake-up | NRL | Zero Tackle
Also, do you think this is a good idea or not?

Cheers

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Hey guys, do you see players in the future having prolonged, similar or shortened careers? I could see future generations having longer careers with the advancing technologies and them keeping proper care of their bodies etc.

On the other hand, there is an issue of player burn-out as well and with e.g. injuries shortening a player's career. I can't find an easy fix to this solution, as other factors need to be considered such as marketing and business, which are probably higher priorities (according to the NRL). After all, the World Cup was still a massive success even with half the Aus team missing due to injury.

Shortened interchanges to avoid wrestling have also been proposed and I wonder if this was to be implemented, would it have an effect on this?
Johns calls for interchange shake-up | NRL | Zero Tackle
Also, do you think this is a good idea or not?

Cheers

Good questions, although everytime I look at a post from you I keep thinking "I didn't post this" haha

Hard to say about length of career. If the calendar keeps being a chocked up as it currently is I think for sure it will shorten some of our top players careers, however you would have to think that something will be done about the schedule eventually. If not for common sense (which is unlikely for the NRL) but shear necessity. Players these days are just out and out atheletes and most of them could apply their skills to most sports. If players start to feel the affects of the gruelling seasons or younger players notice careers being shortened, more will start to look to other sports IMHO

Would love to see shortened interchanges. I hate the wrestle and want to see the little guys bought back into the game. The days of Alfie etc. made me fall in love with Rugby League, forwards should not be fresh at the end of 80 minutes

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Good questions, although everytime I look at a post from you I keep thinking "I didn't post this" haha

I don't think it should be allowed.

You're unique and you shouldn't be confused with anyone else.

4evaBroncs

U18 Player
Jan 4, 2015
Haha. Yeah I agree, I think eventually the NRL will be forced to lessen the players workload. I also think that shortened interchanges will work. How many interchanges were there usually in the past?

This brings up another interesting issue, with the number of players unable to play 1st grade because of limited opportunities (also considering that the interchanges will be shortened), should we get rid of or change a comp to have a smaller one with the best players?

I think that there should be less under 20's players selected for each NRL team every year and then train with them. When they reach say 20, they must play in a comp like the ISC (like the usual system) with certain club affiliates (say 1 affiliate for 1 team). So, the comp would only include these players and others in the team who can't crack 1st grade. By the players having to play in this comp at a certain age, it should help their development and give them as good as a opportunity to play 1st grade. This way you would be having great players continually coming through the grades from all ages and teams will still be able to have depth in their squad also.

I know that it could be argued that it is hard to pick the best players without watching them develop but I reckon you can tell if a kid's got talent. Also, I know that these are only a select few kids but that's the point - only a certain # of players play in the comp. I get too that it's also about consistent players that get the job done, but I think developing these players is easier as they all have a similar, simpler task.

I also know that other players that aren't as great can work hard and learn and become a great player. And that other skilful players can sometimes have a poor attitude (I'm not saying all players like this do) However, in this comp, because every player is around the same calibre, each player would be pushed to play as best as they possibly can.

I also think that this would be fairer for the clubs because at the moment it seems that certain clubs e.g. the Broncos are affiliates with more ISC teams so then they will have a better opportunity at selecting the best players. I'm not really sure how this works, but it seems this way to me.

This would be a slow system to incorporate but I just think it's so much better then having like 1000+ (legit) reserve + under-20's players who unfortunately most will never crack first grade.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I don't think shortening interchanges will work.

I think a good start would be getting rid of the Auckland Nines and All Stars.

Reduce the amount of games in a season and have Origin on a standalone weekend.

Banning the wrestle. Create and enforce harsh penalties for any player or club that uses it. Ban wrestling coaches or any other type of coach that teaches it.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't think shortening interchanges will work.

Banning the wrestle. Create and enforce harsh penalties for any player or club that uses it. Ban wrestling coaches or any other type of coach that teaches it.

This is exactly what they need to do, but they have tried that and shown they are just to weak to uphold it.

The first few rounds of last year were fantastic. Fast, free-flowing football, but as soon as guys like Bellamy started to whinge about it and the lopsided penalty counts (Yes Craig, it's lopsided because your players keep breaking the rules you fucking arsehole) it was back to wrestlemania

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011

Not a fan of the concept of less games, the All Stars and Nines don't add that much to their workload as most play them instead of trials anyway.

Less regular season games would be crap as well, I don't want a short season followed by 8months of cricket.. I want more on TV so I can avoid the cricket!

4evaBroncs

U18 Player
Jan 4, 2015
Exactly. The NRL markets towards the viewer and their main focus is to make money. I can't see the schedule changing in the mean time, especially with the wealth of talented players and juniors coming through who are capable to replace the injured superstars and play a high quality game. But eventually, I believe they'll be forced to just because of employee welfare. Think of it as any workplace, if you're injured because of your job, it's against the law to be forced to keep working. Also, it's not about being 'suitable' to play pro sport, player's get injuries etc. which is out of their control.

Also, I don't think harsher penalties will work because tackles will still involve numerous players and this is in itself a tactic to slow the game down which isn't classified as wrestling. Also, yes, players will still try and wrestle as it's impossible for a ref to analyse every single tackle and judge wether there is wrestling or not. Therefore the players and coaches will complain and refs won't be able to back their decisions consistently and they'll become lenient.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Maybe allow larger squads, giving teams the options to rest players throughout the season while giving new talent a chance.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Think of it as any workplace, if you're injured because of your job, it's against the law to be forced to keep working. Also, it's not about being 'suitable' to play pro sport, player's get injuries etc. which is out of their control.

You'll be doing well to prove that clubs are forcing their players to play injured.

4evaBroncs

U18 Player
Jan 4, 2015
Haha yeah true, my bad. My point is that if the stars of our game are overworked by being expected to play the gruelling schedule, most won't be able to because of injury or fatigue, unless out of force (which will hinder their recovery, it is also technically illegal but it's pro sport so meh) and this is unfair on the players and competition, hence eventually there will be a protest and the NRL will be forced to lessen the workload.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
4evaBroncos and B4L2 are the same person?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Player burn out is a cop out. You are either suitable to play a professional sport, or you're not.

considering they don't work fulltime jobs like they used to, player burnout shouldn't be a factor unless around origin time. no player should be forced to back up after an 80 minute origin game two days later

Active Now

• ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.