Players I only just noticed

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
It's probably because I rarely watch NRL games that don't involve the Broncos but in the last few weeks I caught a few extra games and noticed a couple players I'd never paid much attention to before.

Tim Lafai from the Bulldogs was one. he looks like such a talented centre and even though he got touched up a bit by Dylan Walker on Friday he seems like a top notch player. Has a great left foot step, can actually tackle and doesn't hog the ball near the line. I'd probably want to watch a bit more of him but in 12 months I think he could be the best centre at the Doggies and push Inu or Morris to fullback or the sting

the other one was Joel Riethmuller. I saw him once earlier in the year when Johnson was injured and a bit more since then. It is amazing that the Cows have a cracking defender in Johnson and then when he goes down injured they just whip out a ready made replacement for him without any trouble at all. He doesn't look like he belts blokes as hard as DJ did but he is a really good defender and I think he runs a bit better too

has anybody else seen more of these guys or other (newish) players running around the NRL who look really good?

watch games other than broncos games and you quickly realise just how bad our roster is.

watch a few more Parra games and less of the Roosters and that'll cure the bout of depression you're going through right now AP

It's probably because I rarely watch NRL games that don't involve the Broncos but in the last few weeks I caught a few extra games and noticed a couple players I'd never paid much attention to before.

Tim Lafai from the Bulldogs was one. he looks like such a talented centre and even though he got touched up a bit by Dylan Walker on Friday he seems like a top notch player. Has a great left foot step, can actually tackle and doesn't hog the ball near the line. I'd probably want to watch a bit more of him but in 12 months I think he could be the best centre at the Doggies and push Inu or Morris to fullback or the sting

the other one was Joel Riethmuller. I saw him once earlier in the year when Johnson was injured and a bit more since then. It is amazing that the Cows have a cracking defender in Johnson and then when he goes down injured they just whip out a ready made replacement for him without any trouble at all. He doesn't look like he belts blokes as hard as DJ did but he is a really good defender and I think he runs a bit better too

has anybody else seen more of these guys or other (newish) players running around the NRL who look really good?

Yeah, both of them are very impressive. I think I said earlier that I'd like Lafai here, he's quality. And whenever Riethmuller plays, you almost can't even tell the difference between him and Johnson.

And whenever Riethmuller plays, you almost can't even tell the difference between him and Johnson.

there are some differences, firstly Riethmuller doesn't have cauliflower ears .... yet

There's also Luke Keary. I guess he has been talked up for a while and only recently made his debut, but I only noticed him recently and he looks awesome.

Yeah....same. Watched him a couple weeks back and went WOW !!

Another QLD'r shaping up for the future........:thumbup1:

Hicku at manly.only plays at fullback when Stewart is out. Would start at a few clubs at FB

I haven't seen any of him this year because the Dragons are painful to watch but I remember being very impressed with Jack De Belin when he first debuted. Nothing flash but seems like a great workhorse. I remember he'd come off the bench and be be involved in almost every tackle.

Tim Simona looks like an absolute future gun for the Tigers.

I haven't seen any of him this year because the Dragons are painful to watch but I remember being very impressed with Jack De Belin when he first debuted. Nothing flash but seems like a great workhorse. I remember he'd come off the bench and be be involved in almost every tackle.

De Belin is a good one. There are a couple of times where I've seen him get involved in ~4 tackles in a single set. Cuts people in half too if he gets the chance.

Haven't seen much of Simona.

Joel is a good win for persistence, he took his time has played Queensland Cup since 2007 at the Jets then Pride. He is a strong defender but his attack has improved. Still runs mainly left and loves a tip on- will look to do it every time.

There's also Luke Keary. I guess he has been talked up for a while and only recently made his debut, but I only noticed him recently and he looks awesome.

He stood out straight away in Queensland Cup for Bears, went from Colts to Cup for the last two games in 2010 and stood out. Titans didn't want him and Souths took him.

He's from Ipswich. Very quick minded and does everything at speed.

Dylan Napa huge potential and would love to see him at Bronx !

Simona is a great player. Definitely agree on him
De Belin is also very promising. I dont think he should be used as a prop as he has been lately, but now he is back at lock replacing Merrin he is playing much better. Great work ethic and a good offload.
Masoe from Panthers is pretty good too. Runs harder than anyone else in the NRL, just doesnt get many minutes.
Josh Mansour is a gun winger. The guy breaks tackles and offloads at will, would be in the top 3 wingers in the game on the back of a good backline, no doubt at all.
Lafai has already been mentioned. Future star, just needs to hold a spot
Kyle Feldt seems to be a great winger too, pity he only got a few games before being injured.
Jorge Tafua seems to still be very underrated by many on here but he would have to be in the top 5 wingers right now. He is a machine with great tackle bust ability and as seen on the weekend, a great fend
Robbie Rochow from the knights is also a great player. 80 min player with great work ethic and has really stood up this year after injuries to Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott.
Felepi Tanginoa was looking the goods for the eels before he got injured, as was Terepo

As u can see i watch just about every game to feed my fantasy league addiction (and to get ahead of my competitors!)

Tuivasa-Sheck at he Roosters will also be deadly once he takes over for Mini at FB. The kid has a heap of speed, a good fend, and THE biggest step in the nrl. No joke, his step should be studied for possible teleportation methods.

Thoughts on players mentioned...

Tim Lafai - Solid all-round prospect who's yet to really find any consistent form just yet. Early days and has had some problems with injury but could end up having a very solid career if he plays his cards right.

Joel Riethmuller - I think he's just ok. Decent hand in the engine room, nothing more nothing less.

Luke Keary - Early days but his form in the NYC really impressed me and he's had his moments in the top grade. Hope Souths go with a Keary/Reynolds combo next season just to see how he performs.

Peta Hiku - Mixed on him. Has been making a lot of rookies errors but has come up with the odd class play or too. Has found himself him at the right club in Manly so in time could turn out to be a very handy player but otherwise I'm not a huge fan per say.

Jack de Belin - Is sort of in that Riethmuller category for me but I see more upside in him.

Tim Simona - I've been surprised with his speed, I don't remember him being so fast but he's scored a few length of the field tries which have come against the run of play. A bright spark in an otherwise forgettable years for the Tigers. Good shout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not so much 'just' noticed, but players who have stepped up this season.

George Burgess - Going in, I thought he was a fair nomination for rookie of the year but honestly, he wasn't the first 5 players who came to my mind. Now, he's a shoe in and arguably one of the form props in the game. A weapon and he's played a huge part in Souths improvement this season.

Albert Kelly - I honestly thought he'd end up as another Arana Taumata. Choc filled with potential, but unable to find stability in his life and as a result his on-field performances would suffer. He's been one of the best buys this season and while he still has a lot to learn he has star potential.

Robbie Rochow - He's gone up another gear this year. I thought of all the young backrows - eg. Cordner, McKinnon, de Belin, Jackson etc. I thought he'd be a step below but if anything he's right up there in that conversation. Probably one of the most underrated players in the game.

Paul Vaughan - Was always a solid workhorse in the NYC, but I didn't get the sense that he'd be anything more than a depth player. He's really surprised me this year and while he needs to work on his handling, I like his speed of play.

Brenton Lawrence - To me, Lawrence was one of those players I thought was good at the Titans but for whatever reason, his stats didn't pop out and fans never discussed him. Got a chance at Manly and has been one of the buys of the season. Very handy prop forward.

Sisa Waqa - Arguably the most improved player going around today. before, Waqa was a punchline, now he's one of the better wingers in the competition and looks to only be getting better. Underrated.

Daniel Tupou - I just thought he was a depth player heading into the season yet he's had some really freakish moments in the NRL and could develop him into a star back.

On George Burgess...Did he debut in FG at the Bunnies? Wasn't he grabbed from the SL having played a few? Point being, if he's played a dozen games in FG Super League, I don't think he should be eligible...

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • NSW stables
  • Broncorob
  • Scdeac
  • RolledOates
  • Tim K
  • Foordy
  • Maddy
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Astro
  • Splinter
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • The Don
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.