NEWS Plod Haas

Do coke your whole career and you might even become an immortal
And that's why it'll likely be a suspension that takes him right up until around about Origin time, to cause maximum pain to the Broncos and ensuring the Blues get the freshest and most desperate for redemption version of Payne Haas possible. Welcome to the NSWRL.

Last edited:
Exactly this.

Its a fucking joke of the highest order.
No one is condoning Haas behavior, he acted like a tool, and will pay the price, but the penalty has to fit the crime, and what he did would usually end up with a night in the drunk tank and slap on the wrist in the morning.

This is getting silly. Fine him, Send him to a counselor and give him 100 hours community service with the cops.

It’s a bit different when it does reputational damage to both the NRL and the Broncos. Joe Blow acting like that does no reputational damage to his employer because it’s not news.

It’s a bit different when it does reputational damage to both the NRL and the Broncos. Joe Blow acting like that does no reputational damage to his employer because it’s not news.
Yea thats true. I figure he will miss a few games as well. Its just odd that he is being raked over the coals for something that is fairly minor (shitty no doubt) but no one got hurt.

So you can use cocain and test positive and get 4 weeks suspension plus $5000 fine , yet still be sweet to play round 1.
But abuse the cops get no conviction and probably end up with a $30k fine and 10 week suspension.
Using coke doesn't amount to a threat to assault someone else.

**** some of you people have interesting hierarchies of bad behaviour.

So you can use cocain and test positive and get 4 weeks suspension plus $5000 fine , yet still be sweet to play round 1.
But abuse the cops get no conviction and probably end up with a $30k fine and 10 week suspension. 🤣
There is no law against having recreational drugs in your bloodstream, only for possession. Unless you are in control of a vehicle or something along those lines where your intoxication puts others at risk. The issue of recreational or perfomance enhancing drug use is internal within the club and/or sporting body. Payne's indiscretion is being dealt with as a criminal offence. There is no onus on an employer to enact a further punishment above and beyond that. Some might argue it's not an employer's place to act as judge, jury and executioner. While others argue he's paid to be a role model.

Last edited:
I'd accept that as a fair argument in terms of drugs vs verbal assault. I might not agree entirely, but I'm sure that plenty of people would, so I accept that you might be right. As I said, I'm inclined to say the drug penalty was probably too light, not the assault penalty was way too harsh.

I think maybe a month on the sidelines and a hefty fine with maybe half of it suspended seems around about right. That's pretty fair incentive not to make that mistake again considering you know it'll cost you both a new fine next time plus half of this fine that was suspended.

As for the counselling, well that goes without saying and should have been in place long before things ever escalated to this point.
All valid points but I still standby not sitting him out , it only hurts the team not the player who is responsible. There is much better ways to punish him imo.

Using coke doesn't amount to a threat to assault someone else.

**** some of you people have interesting hierarchies of bad behaviour.
So my friend gets killed from some fuckwit that's drugged up behind the wheel, yet haas gets grilled for abusing some cops .
Tell me who gets hurt the most, the cops or me and my mates family dealing with his loss. **** off dickhead !!

So my friend gets killed from some fuckwit that's drugged up behind the wheel, yet haas gets grilled for abusing some cops .
Tell me who gets hurt the most, the cops or me and my mates family dealing with his loss. **** off dickhead !!
Brent Naden didn't get behind the wheel and kill someone while drugged up though so your argument doesn't make sense.

If the accused is driving under the influence of a prohibited narcotic, and furthermore kills someone, that's a criminal charge with possible culpability for manslaughter. Turning up for footy training with traces of drugs in your system is not a criminal charge. It's between you and your employer, and is probably mentioned in your contract if they're testing you.

Haas didn't just abuse some cops; he threatened to hurt them. That's classified as "assault." And "assaulting a police officer" has its own special farm of pain. Calling cops names or asking them to leave him alone is something else, which one of our many boys in blue can surely explain.

Last edited:
Brent Naden didn't get behind the wheel and kill someone while drugged up though so your argument doesn't make sense.
No but haas didn't physically assault anyone either, it's a presumption of what could've happened.

No but haas didn't physically assault anyone either, it's a presumption of what could've happened.
I've pointed this out a number of times now: a verbal threat to harm is assault. You are conflating assault with battery.

Just because you think it's okay to say to someone: I'll fucking punch your head in if you don't suck my **** right now, doesn't mean it's legal.

Last edited:
If the accused is driving under the influence of a prohibited narcotic, and furthermore kills someone, that's a criminal charge with possible culpability for manslaughter. Turning up for footy training with traces of drugs in your system is not a criminal charge. It's between you and your employer, and is probably mentioned in your contract if they're testing you.

Haas didn't just abuse some cops; he threatened to hurt them. That's classified as "assault." And "assaulting a police officer" has its own special farm of pain. Calling cops names or asking them to leave him alone is something else, which one of our many boys in blue can surely explain.
So how did he get to training, car most probably ? Only in NSW is it an offense, threatening to punch someone. It's a joke !

So how did he get to training, car most probably ? Only in NSW is it an offense, threatening to punch someone. It's a joke !
Read the law of assault in QLD:

You can't get done for drink/drug driving if you're not actively in control of a vehicle as far as I'm aware. Besides, the club drug tests have nothing to do with the law.

Last edited:
ASADA would test the blood or the urine or possibly hair follicles. He would have passed a swab test most likely? Unsure on the details of the situation.

Read the law of assault in QLD:

You can't get done for drink/drug driving if you're not actively in control of a vehicle as far as I'm aware. Besides, the club drug tests have nothing to do with the law.
Am I wrong to say that it has to be an act like showing a clenched fist or doing some reverse roundhouse air kicks , for it to be classed as assault? So driving to work under the influence is all good 👍

Am I wrong to say that it has to be an act like showing a clenched fist or doing some reverse roundhouse air kicks , for it to be classed as assault? So driving to work under the influence is all good 👍
There’s a difference between having it in your system and driving under the influence.

What part of "you have to be caught in the act" don't you understand? The club/ASADA/etc are not the cops. Enough on this.

No, a verbal threat to injure is included in the definition of criminal assault. The penalty to be determined. As you can see from Payne's case, the penalty was "behave yourself, you fucking great lunk."

The fuss in here is about Payne being a dickhead. No one here is a fan of dickheads. This is a fan forum, so the penalty is not being a fan of Payne. Because he acted like a dickhead. We don't like dickheads. How can we be a fan of the Broncos if they're dickheads? Something has to change so Payne isn't a dickhead. Ad infinitum.

Last edited:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.