Pre Game & In Match Thread

does anyone hav an opinion on taylor... i know there wasnt that much of him in this game

Solid, no mistakes, good debut for him to build on.

yeh he looked like he was trying to get involved in alot in defense and put it to the nsw props i was really impressed with what he did even tho it wasnt that much

There are two blokes who deserve all the accolades they get tonight - Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston. The game tonight was always going to be hard as far as involvement from the halves goes with the conditions, but the way Thurston came up with opportunities for Queensland, and Lockyer's kicking and organisational game, OUTSTANDING. They truly are an outstanding combination. Was very glad they didn't each play on opposite sides of the field, their communication in knowing what to do was what won the game for Queensland. Outstanding.

Up front, I thought Nate Myles and Matt Scott led the way and Thaiday as always was dangerous out wide. Petero was quietish but solid, Shillington was good off the bench, Harrison worked hard and Ballin did a very good job. Simple distribution to Thurston and Lockyer.

The scoreline in the end definately flattered the Blues, and the Idris try was a good thing for Queensland because it basically guarantees he will be selected for game 2 [icon_wink

I also thought Cronk looked dangerous at the end of the game, definately a good weapon to have on the bench should we need to pull a rabbit out of the hat in game 2. Only one change for game 2 and that's Smith in for Ballin, but Ballin can hold his head up high that's for sure. I wouldn't even look to bring in Hannant or Price if (touch wood) we don't pick up any injuries between now and game 2. The blokes on the field tonight did a fine job and will do a fine job again and they don't carry the worry of being fragile having just come back from injury.

Great to be a Queenslander.........again [eusa_clap.gi

chazta said:
does anyone hav an opinion on taylor... i know there wasnt that much of him in this game
His first set in defense he made the first 3 tackles and 2 from marker. Made solid runs for pretty good metres. No errors. Probably played more of a "forward" role to his in the centres role that he has with Broncos and Souths.

Twiztid said:
chazta said:
His first set in defense he made the first 3 tackles and 2 from marker. Made solid runs for pretty good metres. No errors. Probably played more of a "forward" role to his in the centres role that he has with Broncos and Souths.
yea thats what impressed me, the fact that he played a real forwards role and looked like he was ready to do the hard yards... and also on that inglis try i noticed him running on inglis' inside, stuff defending that

chazta said:
schmix said:
I thought Slater had a bit of a shocker tonight. I wasn't expecting too much from him, attacking-wise, but a fullback of his callibre and experience should not be making mistakes like that.
i thought that creagh try was the worst it seemed to me like he was just trying to look like he was putting an effort in to stop the ball

He shied away from creagh to protect himself. Just lucky it was pretty much fulltime as it could have been a nervous minute or 2

Browny said:
chazta said:
schmix said:
I thought Slater had a bit of a shocker tonight. I wasn't expecting too much from him, attacking-wise, but a fullback of his callibre and experience should not be making mistakes like that.
i thought that creagh try was the worst it seemed to me like he was just trying to look like he was putting an effort in to stop the ball

He shied away from creagh to protect himself. Just lucky it was pretty much fulltime as it could have been a nervous minute or 2
yeh but i think he couldve got himself into a better position before he had to do that tho

Slater either slips over or tries to slide to the ball to scoop it up and protect it. However, he hits a major divot which slows him down. Creagh is also sliding into the ball with knees and his boot out to scoop it up. Slater knew he wasn't going to get there first so protected himself or he would have taken a knee/boot to the head.

Slater's grubber defence technique is probably one of the only questionable parts of his game.

It's a very low percentage maneuver which often results in a knock-on.

Creagh's try was still a very dubious referee decision nonetheless...

Finally back from the game.

Was awesome.

Except, Blatchy's Blues are the most pathetic excuse of a 'supporter group' I've ever seen. There were one or two people up the front trying to get chants started, but no one was paying any attention. They all just wanted to wear a wig I guess. Plus, they were all leaving with about 10-15 minutes to go. WTF.

Soft as.

Quoted from my 6 year old daughter (who is equal 1st in the tipping comp)

"NSW's have little heart's, like babies"

Never been prouder

Scoreboard flattered NSW last night. QLD were far superior to NSW.

NSW will need to pick a decent team for game 2, otherwise QLD will tear them apart on a (assuming) dry track at Suncorp. I just can't see them coming up with a team that can stop QLD from winning the series from here though.

5 in a row, here we come.

QLD were far and away the better side last night IMO. Our forwards were fantastic, with special mention to Matt Scott and David Shillington ..... those two guys were awesome !!

Lockyer/Thurston/Slater were magical ... but we always knew they would be in an origin game, they just never continue to amaze me as to how they can completely control a game (if the forwards hold their own)

Refereeing was disgraceful though i though. NSW got the better end of the deal too with the dud calls on at least two of their tries. How they awarded the late try to Creagh ... and not even benefit of the doubt .... was apalling.

Jeba said:
There are two blokes who deserve all the accolades they get tonight - Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston. The game tonight was always going to be hard as far as involvement from the halves goes with the conditions, but the way Thurston came up with opportunities for Queensland, and Lockyer's kicking and organisational game, OUTSTANDING. They truly are an outstanding combination. Was very glad they didn't each play on opposite sides of the field, their communication in knowing what to do was what won the game for Queensland. Outstanding.

Up front, I thought Nate Myles and Matt Scott led the way and Thaiday as always was dangerous out wide. Petero was quietish but solid, Shillington was good off the bench, Harrison worked hard and Ballin did a very good job. Simple distribution to Thurston and Lockyer.

The scoreline in the end definately flattered the Blues, and the Idris try was a good thing for Queensland because it basically guarantees he will be selected for game 2 [icon_wink

I also thought Cronk looked dangerous at the end of the game, definately a good weapon to have on the bench should we need to pull a rabbit out of the hat in game 2. Only one change for game 2 and that's Smith in for Ballin, but Ballin can hold his head up high that's for sure. I wouldn't even look to bring in Hannant or Price if (touch wood) we don't pick up any injuries between now and game 2. The blokes on the field tonight did a fine job and will do a fine job again and they don't carry the worry of being fragile having just come back from injury.

Great to be a Queenslander.........again [eusa_clap.gi

Agreed on Thurston and Lockyer. Personally I would've given Locky the man of the match award for his kicking game, his positional play (how many times was he there to dive on loose balls from either team?) and his organisation and leadership. But can't really blame the selectors for picking the guy that created the tries off the back of that work. That's often how MOTM goes. However I think Thurston was guilty of passing to guys under pressure a bit much in the wet, especially early on.

Thaiday was simply superb. He did the tough stuff, and had some really good touches out wide - that inside ball to Slater - for what should've been a try if Tonga had half a brain to pop it back to Thaiday - before half time was just beautiful!

Myles, Petero, Scott were great up front. I thought Ballin was superb at hooker, and Cronk was good when he came on.

Inglis I thought was a bit disappointing again, not sure what's wrong with him, but he had his moment of influence with that try. Folau was pretty good.

Tonga was great defensively, but didn't cause many headaches with the ball not that Queensland ran it right very often.

Slater I thought was very average, but dangerous in attack as always.

I think what's most pleasing was that Queensland dominated that game apart from the first 15 minutes, and yet there's still players to come in (Hannant, Smith) and there's improvement possible across the board.

Coxy I made comment about how Lockyer (like a few true champions before) is always the first to a loose ball or a chip over the top too shallow for the fullback or an intercept or as a support player. The best of the best know where to be at those moments and Lockyer is probably the best I have ever seen at it.

My thoughts on a few players, for what they're worth.

Scott - sensational. You could see how buggered he was when he chased down the ball after a kick bounced off him, but he put everything he had into it and very nearly regathered. Was the way he played all night. Shillington alongside him was also brilliant and the 2 of them single handedly destroyed the NSW pack. Petero as usual was great, especially for a man of 44!

Lockyer - what needs to be said? Superb captains knock, don't know how many tackles he missed, but it can't have been many and he pulled off a few 1 on 1's that were desperately needed.

Thurston - I'm so glad he's on our side and will be for some years to come. He dictated how that game was played.

Thaiday - as someone already said, he's one of the best in the game, no doubt, and simply has to be the next Broncos captain.

Ballin - I said to Andrew at one point that I hadn't noticed him, and that I thought that was a good thing. Superb service from dummy half, and the QLD coaching staff simply put him in there and asked him to do what he does best. He was never going to replace Cameron Smith, and no one asked him to meaning he was able to play his natural game.

Folau, Inglis and Slater - great in patches, though a few mistakes from Billy. I have no doubt a dry track at Suncorp in a few weeks will see them come into their own. Would also expect to see a bit more from Tonga in a few weeks, though he was solid.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.