Queenslanders' passion for sport

The Rock said:
Jeba said:
Please note I am NOT making excuses. Simply pointing out that we have the same problems up here, yet we perform better numbers wise. And in the case of the Cowboys, they have MORE problems than Sydney does and about 4% of the population, yet they get pretty good figures considering how they have performed the last few years.

Too many pot holes!! [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. HAHAHAHAHAH!! Oh man, that'll do me.

Have you ever tried to do a 300km road trip on a pot hole wrecked road? It's painful!

Twiztid said:
Another major reason for QLD's great crowd figures is for the lack of games they get, QLD/Brisbane fans only get roughly 15 games a year with possible weeks in between games. Success is another reason for great crowd figures. If the Broncos had a losing history like Souths, they wouldn't be pulling in 20k+ a game and there is the possibility that some of you guys might not be supporting them right now if they did.

NSW fans also get a lot more games a year and I worked it out to roughly 78 games a year in Sydney alone (if you base it on 3 Sydney games a round), so there are a lot more chances of seeing games. This is probably another reason NSW fans are less likely to attend games as there is always next week, the problem is the same excuse is used the next week so the person or family choose to watch it on TV.

I am in a rare family and we go to every Souths game we can and we have only missed 1 Souths game so far this NRL season, as we couldn't afford to fly to New Zealand. I am lucky that I don't actually organise it, Bree's mum does all that. So many families can't put in that much effort and sacrifices to attend games like we do. Because you have to be very committed to do this.

I think this is the crux of the difference though. It's not that we have fewer games, it's that most people up here who support a QLD team try and get to as many games as they can of THEIR team.

This is especially true for those who support out of town teams like from Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra, NZ, Melbourne, NQ. Because they may only get 1 game in SEQ all year to see their team, they make a rush on it. So we always have a significant number of away team fans.

Why then was the double header crowd relatively low (if you can call 32000 people a small crowd)? 1. Neither of the local teams were home teams, thus you took season ticketholders out of the equation. 2. Ticket prices were higher than a normal game. 3. It was 2 days after Origin, which sold out and thus people spent significant cash to attend. 4. Titans playing shit. 5. Broncos resting their star players (drawcards).

Despite the attempts to make the double header an "event", it was poorly managed, poorly marketed this year.

While yes Sydney has 78 games a year, if you are a dedicated Roosters fan (lolz) why would you go to a Manly vs Souths game? But what seems to happen is they stay away from their own club game as well because they can watch it on TV.

I don't think it's unfair to say that generally QLD NRL fans are more likely to attend a game than their Sydney counterparts. When all is said and done, there's no more issues facing Sydney fans than QLD fans, so there's really no excuse for that.

The Rock said:
His long post

I actually agree with most of what you wrote, this is why I think it's time for Sydney to cull it's teams and for QLD to become the home of the NRL.

The Rock said:
In conclusion, if you want to have a dig at fans in Sydney for not attending games as reguarly as you think they should due to financial issues or bad weather, then be prepared to cop the same critisism when someone from QLD uses too many pot holes an excuse.

Who used the pot hole excuse?

Im using the shit highway excuse, Here is a picture i got from my parents at the start of the year. Under that is the Bruce highway southbound from Townsville. While normally not that bad with branches and everything the Highway does generally go over that bridge with heavy rain.

1307578979.jpg

Can predict a low crowd this Sunday too btw. Forecast is for up to 200mm of rain to fall on Saturday/Sunday in Brisbane.

I hope they don't close the tunnel. I need to get to the Southside.

Coxy said:
Can predict a low crowd this Sunday too btw. Forecast is for up to 200mm of rain to fall on Saturday/Sunday in Brisbane.

Yeah I was gonna go but not really keen to sit in the rain and watch a glorified under 20's game.

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2wa6bot4]
Coxy said:

Yeah I was gonna go but not really keen to sit in the rain and watch a glorified under 20's game.

Really? Soft. I drove 2.5 hours to watch the Broncos play in torrential rain.[/quote:2wa6bot4]

Yep, soft. If I didn't have a mortgage I would be there with bells on.

The Rock said:
Nashy said:
I hope they don't close the tunnel. I need to get to the Southside.

Nah mate it will be opened, just watch those pot holes though.

Come and drive 3 hours on our highways at the moment with the condition they're in due to the rain. For many it's not worth it to attend a football game which is fair enough.

Potholes weren't purely the reason. I was describing what things are like here at the moment. But you're just simply too thick, arrogant and pigheaded to understand what I'm saying.

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2t8w8nch][quote="The Rock":2t8w8nch][quote="Bucking Beads":2t8w8nch]
Coxy said:

Really? Soft. I drove 2.5 hours to watch the Broncos play in torrential rain.[/quote:2t8w8nch]

Yep, soft. If I didn't have a mortgage I would be there with bells on.[/quote:2t8w8nch]

Oh so finances impact your ability to see a game huh? Fair enough. Well it's fair enough for you but somehow not fair enough for someone in Sydney where housing affordability is the worst in the world. But it's ok for people in Brisbane to miss a game because they have a mortgage. Yup, makes perfect sence.[/quote:2t8w8nch]

Actually Melbourne has the worst housing affordability in Australia. Also I think you will find Wages in Sydney and in Melbourne are generally higher then those in Brisbane so that should cover the housing affordability you cream yourself over.

The Rock said:
I'm too arrogant and pig headed to understand??? No, that's you guys who can't understand the arguments I put forward!!! I understand yours and accept it - none of you can accept mine because you are all to naive and out of touch with society. So go crawl back into cave and don't come back out until you're ready and willing to accept and understand societies challenges for attendances at sporting events.

I understand them. Just don't accept them as excuses as to not sell out an Origin match without giving away freebies or getting 6000 to a club game icon_thumbs_u

Rock shutup.... NSW and Sydney suck donkeys balls. We rule and are more passionate than you guys could ever hope to be. Win lose or draw we will sell out SOO, even if the parking costs 20 bucks cause that's how we roll!

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2rcm9i15][quote="The Rock":2rcm9i15][quote="Bucking Beads":2rcm9i15][quote="The Rock":2rcm9i15][quote="Bucking Beads":2rcm9i15]
Coxy said:

Really? Soft. I drove 2.5 hours to watch the Broncos play in torrential rain.[/quote:2rcm9i15]

Yep, soft. If I didn't have a mortgage I would be there with bells on.[/quote:2rcm9i15]

Oh so finances impact your ability to see a game huh? Fair enough. Well it's fair enough for you but somehow not fair enough for someone in Sydney where housing affordability is the worst in the world. But it's ok for people in Brisbane to miss a game because they have a mortgage. Yup, makes perfect sence.[/quote:2rcm9i15]

Actually Melbourne has the worst housing affordability in Australia. Also I think you will find Wages in Sydney and in Melbourne are generally higher then those in Brisbane so that should cover the housing affordability you cream yourself over.[/quote:2rcm9i15]

No, Sydney does and not just in Australia but in the world.

And Lolz at the higher wage thing. I'd you think the slightly higher wage average covers the gap in affordability then you need to research it more.[/quote:2rcm9i15]

Oh silly me I forgot you are an expert in everything whilst never proving anything

The Rock said:
I'm too arrogant and pig headed to understand???

You keep arguing, so if you aren't pig headed you are certainly mule headed!

Now, stop arguing for five minutes and fix my problem!

While you're at it, cook the man some eggs too!

Yep I am going to believe the Sydney Morning Herald FFS.

It does say Sydney was the second least affordable though doesn't it??

Active Now

• Astro
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • maddo
  • Rambstien
  • Behold
  • GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.