Racism in the NRL

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Brisbane recruit Ben Barba family’s fury over racist slur from junior league player
  • by: Todd Balym and Peter Badel

BEN Barba’s father has called on the NRL to stamp out racism in the game after it emerged his superstar son was the victim of a racist attack on Instagram by a junior rugby league player.

An 18-year-old from Dapto was the Canterbury fan who sparked an Instagram row with Barba last Friday night when he called the Broncos superstar a “filthy Abo” on the social media network.

Ken Barba wants the NRL to take the same harsh stance on the issue as the AFL did last year when Australian of the Year Adam Goodes was racially vilified during a game by a teenage female supporter.

“The game needs to take a stand on this,” Ken Barba said.

“I’m very disappointed, I know last year during games he was spat on and he’s sick and tired of the abuse.

“He’s constantly being degraded and I hope the NRL can find this person and do something about it because enough is enough.

“He can take a fair bit but when it comes to racism it needs to be stamped out pretty quick.

“He’s been called a filthy Abo, if they catch this person the NRL should put them up like they did to the young girl in the AFL when Adam Goodes was racially abused.”

The NRL Integrity Unit was made aware of the player’s link to grassroots rugby league yesterday and immediately ordered the NSW Country Rugby League to investigate the issue with both the player and his club.

1394492616.jpg

Source: No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

What scum. The NRL really needs to come down hard on people who do this, I doubt they can publicly name and shame them but they should at least be copping hefty fines and lengthy bans. The same punishments should also apply to the social media trolls, regardless of whether racism is involved or not. Thoughts?

Whilst this stuff is disgusting, I don't really know what you expect the NRL to do. They don't really have any jurisdiction over social media sites and unless it happens at the game, I think they're pretty powerless.

What a disgrace. Name and shame the disgusting little parasite and make sure he can't have anything to do with Rugby League again.

I was expecting this to be about an official or something to find it was some Neville on Instagram was a surprise. Very poor behaviour by that fan and he should man up and apologies to Ben and his family.

Whilst this stuff is disgusting, I don't really know what you expect the NRL to do. They don't really have any jurisdiction over social media sites and unless it happens at the game, I think they're pretty powerless.

I suppose you're right, I guess they can't do anything but it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The big incident last year in the AFL was there for everyone to see so the person involved was punished immediately. There was also an incident during the a-league Sydney derby last weekend which occurred on field between two opposing players, so the offender there is likely to cop some form of punishment as well.

I just feel that if the NRL can penalise the offenders in any way it will hopefully deter others.

I suppose you're right, I guess they can't do anything but it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The big incident last year in the AFL was there for everyone to see so the person involved was punished immediately. There was also an incident during the a-league Sydney derby last weekend which occurred on field between two opposing players, so the offender there is likely to cop some form of punishment as well.

I just feel that if the NRL can penalise the offenders in any way it will hopefully deter others.

Apparently he is involved in junior league, so at the very least they can ensure he no longer takes part in the game

I don't think publicly humiliating a kid does any good. I reckon such insults are pathetic and show a real lack of intelligence on their behalf. I think the best response is no response.

But I can understand why Barba's dad would be upset about it. If Ben's worried about it, report it to police.

[h=1]NRL Statement On Racism[/h]
The NRL has this morning reaffirmed its stance that racism will not be tolerated at any level of the game.

It follows a racist comment that was posted on Brisbane player Ben Barba’s Instagram account by a player registered in a CRL competition.

“This is a serious matter. Racism will not be tolerated in any form,” NRL Chief Operating Officer, Mr Jim Doyle, said.

“Rugby League is an inclusive game and there is no excuse for behaviour that vilifies any member of the game or the community.

“We are in the process of speaking with the individual involved and his family.”

ARL Indigenous Council Chair, Linda Burney, added: “We are treating this very seriously and are working with the NRL and CRL to ensure this young man understands the implications and ramifications of his actions.”

Said Broncos' chief executive Paul White: "Racial villification has no place anywhere in society and particularly within our game, which at its core has always been all inclusive of cultures and groups.

"We can proudly say we are an inclusive game.

"Hopefully the person involved will learn from this and it doesn't happen again in the future.

"But we can never stand for it."

Source: NRL Statement On Racism - Broncos

Well there you go.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Horseheadsup
  • sooticus
  • rnabokov
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.