Reece Walsh vs Karmichael Hunt

1988bronco

1988bronco

BRL Player
Nov 18, 2019
If you could sign a 21yr old Walsh or Hunt on a longterm contract,
for the same amount of money, which one would you take?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Just going by talent, I think I'd go with Hunt. He was insanely good so early, he was only a year older in his last season than Walsh is now, and already had multiple great years. He lacked some pace but his ball playing was amazing.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Walsh has similar ball playing to Hunt but also more explosive speed. Overall he's more dangerous a player. As soon as he matures and gets the silly errors out of his play, he is going to be a superstar fullback in the vein of Slater and Locky.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Similarish but Hunt was more of a runner even though he did create a bit too just not on the level of Walsh, Walsh is far more quicker and has better agility to get his way into overlaps to create tries, I think he is a better passer as well.

Hunt was more consistent I would say and was pretty rounded out by this age, with Walsh you can see he has only started to scratch the surface of what he can do.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Yeah Hunt started so early, and left so prematurely as well, it's hard to judge. Let's not forget Hunt was keeping a young Billy Slater out of rep sides.

I think I'll have to sit on the fence until Walsh has as much NRL under his belt as K. There's no denying Hunt was special, but at this stage it appears Walsh has a higher ceiling. His temperament will determine how far he goes but he certainly has all the tools to be one of the greatest.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Khunt’s last tackle options were almost always the right ones. The grubber, the cut out, the short ball - he just knew which strong to pull. He was something else.

Walsh is faster. And has more passion for the game and the broncos. He has the potential to be anything.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
In this team? Walsh. I don't think Hunt could elevate us like Walsh has this year.
Hunt had better last tackle decision making but you can't teach speed and Walsh scares defenders by simply being near the play, let alone touching the ball. Don't think Hunt had that sort of aura.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
For mine, it’s Hunt easily because of the fact that he got to play around players like Locky, Petro, Webckie, Hodges and those guys who were ingrained with ‘Broncos mentality’. While doing so, he might’ve been grounded all the time which made him to concentrate more on his football.

Walsh with all the abundant talent, is a bit **** head & want to win at all cause. Nothing wrong with that at all. Once he nears 100 1st grade games, his approach to the game will be at a totally different level.

Not sure how good Hunt would’ve turned out had he stuck with us(multiple premierships?)but he certainly have the edge over Reece for now. But ultimately, Reece will go down as one of the great fullbacks surpassing Slater for mine.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
To answer the original question. I’d long term sign a 21 year old Walsh over a 21 year old Hunt.

Super different style of player, but I prefer Walsh

Unread

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.