REFS named for game 3 - difference of a tantrum

I do think in the modern game there's FAR too much dissection of individual decisions.

Whatever happened to "it's fish and chip paper tomorrow"? Well, apart from the realisation that newspaper ink is toxic if ingested...

Whenever QLD loose, in the courier mail report most of the comments are acussing the refs of showing favouritism to NSW. Back at work the next day some QLD fans were also saying that the refs were cheating.

If we are going to talk newspapers then that's a totally different ball game, SMH takes the cake there.. mainly referring to the NSW hierachy and coaching staff I believe. And as if they don't get an easier ride with the refs, just look at game 1 this year to see what they do if something doesn't go their way..

Whenever QLD loose, in the courier mail report most of the comments are acussing the refs of showing favouritism to NSW. Back at work the next day some QLD fans were also saying that the refs were cheating.

well its hard to disagree after watching game 2. did your mum let you stay up that late and watch it? if so you wouldve seen Stewart the cheap shot merchant doing high swinging arms every tackle, gallen/bird/etc with their elbows all over our faces every tackle, and Jennings punching the ball out only for NSW to get a 20m tap, among plenty of other things that the referee just "missed".

it wasnt "cheating", but they were clearly influenced by the fear of losing their jobs if they dont be lenient towards NSW and crack down on QLD.

it wasnt "cheating", but they were clearly influenced by the fear of losing their jobs if they dont be lenient towards NSW and crack down on QLD.

I don't even subscribe to that. Not even subconsciously. I think referees just made mistakes. They're human. It's part of all sport. And as I said earlier, I'm sick of how refereeing performances are discussed and dissected to the nth degree. Sure, when there's clangers (like Cecchin during Broncos vs Roosters) they deserve to be called on them, but 50-50 calls where it takes 5 replays to work out that the referee was wrong, pffft, let it go.

There were some crucial calls go against Queensland in game 2. That's sport.

I don't believe referees are that weakminded that they take all the criticism to heart and change their approach. If they did every coach would whinge constantly before every game.

The coaches would normally get a $10 000 fine for the level a bitching after game 1 but Stewart had others doing it for him and through official channels.

I mean, if you stated in post match press that the refs should be sacked and so should the refs bosses you would be fined but with a very public complaint obviously made at Stewarts request by Fittler you make the same point with no fine.

Sure, when there's clangers (like Cecchin during Broncos vs Roosters) they deserve to be called on them, but 50-50 calls where it takes 5 replays to work out that the referee was wrong, pffft, let it go.

There were some crucial calls go against Queensland in game 2. That's sport.

I don't believe referees are that weakminded that they take all the criticism to heart and change their approach. If they did every coach would whinge constantly before every game.

50-50 calls are fine, i have no problem with them. things like the bird tackle i was happy for the penalty, but i wouldnt have cared if there wasnt one.

but things like Stewart making a good 6-7 blatantly high shots with swinging arms in the first half alone, with only 1 being called, im not fine with. game 1 they wouldve been pulled up, but because of NSWs whinging, imagine if Stewart got penalised 6-7 times for it - the daily telegraph and SMH would have content for the next 12 months based on that game alone. it was never going to happen, and NSW knew it. they do it every year - they whinge and complain, then they get the rub of the green the next match because the refs are extra cautious about penalising NSW.

decisions like the Jennings one, theyre not fine. blind freddy could see jennings hit it out - how else do you explain tate going to put the ball down and the ball going flying 10m out the side over the dead ball line? yet 4 - not 1, not 2, not 3, but FOUR officials all failed to see it.

i have no doubt whatsoever that the referees are influenced directly by the blues whinging. it happens too often after a NSW loss for it to be a coincidence. the same way that Bill Harrigan dramatically changed his refereeing stance whenever he ref'd the broncos after being labelled "bronco bill" by the sydney media - and noone can deny that happened. in game 1, simply doing their job got 2 of the referees sacked, even though their boss came out and said they were right to make the calls, just because the calls went "against" nsw because NSW were in the wrong.

they do it every year - they whinge and complain, then they get the rub of the green the next match because the refs are extra cautious about penalising NSW.

This is absolutely correct - go back through every year and you will see it time and time again - look at when NSW whinge and then see the outcome of the next game. Refs in game 1 got hammered for doing their job, exactly (as you very truthfully point out, even through Harrigan said they were correct calls except for the Bird tackle - based on that scenario, it means they got cut for mis-calling one tackle? The sin bin was obvious.)

And finally, it was actually 5 officials that missed it AP, how many times have we seen the video ref call down to change a 20m restart to a drop out and visa versa...

The linesman knew, when Tate said to him Uate punched it out the linesman replied "the decisions been made". How many times have we seen linesman overule the ref in that case.

Dead set.. the pressure they've pulled on the refs is just never enough - even when they get what they want they still go for more, bloody cowards. Sooky just knew he couldn't whinge any more so found some one else (from how many willing hands?) to stick their hand up.. it just seems to be the way NSW approach SOO now - it's built into them.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-hartley/story-e6frfghx-1226413184855

Starts off like:

"FIVE-TIME grand final referee Greg Hartley has launched a stinging attack on Tony Archer, accusing the Origin head whistle blower of "wearing rusty underpants" in pressure matches.
Fearful of Wednesday night's State of Origin decider being ruined by another refereeing blunder, the former player and commentator slammed Archer for having a history of "intimidation" at the cauldron known as Suncorp Stadium.

Hartley, who retired from refereeing in 1982, pleaded with Archer not to be intimidated by the boisterous Queensland fans or the plethora of big-name stars who will fight for every inch and no doubt attempt to influence Archer on Wednesday night."

They dug this guy up who last reffed in 1982?!?! Next they'll be saying the PM's dog is fed up with bad Origin calls.. (against NSW)

Last edited:
Dead set.. the pressure they've pulled on the refs is just never enough - even when they get what they want they still go for more, bloody cowards. Sooky just knew he couldn't whinge any more so found some one else (from how many willing hands?) to stick their hand up.. it just seems to be the way NSW approach SOO now - it's built into them.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-hartley/story-e6frfghx-1226413184855

Starts off like:

"FIVE-TIME grand final referee Greg Hartley has launched a stinging attack on Tony Archer, accusing the Origin head whistle blower of "wearing rusty underpants" in pressure matches.
Fearful of Wednesday night's State of Origin decider being ruined by another refereeing blunder, the former player and commentator slammed Archer for having a history of "intimidation" at the cauldron known as Suncorp Stadium.

Hartley, who retired from refereeing in 1982, pleaded with Archer not to be intimidated by the boisterous Queensland fans or the plethora of big-name stars who will fight for every inch and no doubt attempt to influence Archer on Wednesday night."

They dug this guy up who last reffed in 1982?!?! Next they'll be saying the PM's dog is fed up with bad Origin calls.. (against NSW)

Ehhhhh. So a guy who is in no way a part of the NSW camp, and never has been, is somehow now a Blues conspirator? What size tin foil hat do you take, anzac7?

Hartley is a dial a quote rusty old dinosaur. He's irrelevant. "Oh, the state of the refs these days. Back in my day, we wore onions on our belt as was the style at the time."

Ehhhhh. So a guy who is in no way a part of the NSW camp, and never has been, is somehow now a Blues conspirator? What size tin foil hat do you take, anzac7?

Then is it a biased article asking for the ref to be fair for both teams? No sign of this type of article leading up to the Sydney match - as if it wasn't planned... They don't even worry about the word conspiracy, they just do it..

Then is it a biased article asking for the ref to be fair for both teams? No sign of this type of article leading up to the Sydney match - as if it wasn't planned... They don't even worry about the word conspiracy, they just do it..

Aha. So you're angry at the newspaper, but misdirecting your anger and trying to blame NSW. Got it.

Aren't they all the same? When the courier mail prints anything it's taken as QLD initiated... but this article stinks of Ricky so much I can smell it up here.

No option for like or dislike in the mobile site version?

Aren't they all the same? When the courier mail prints anything it's taken as QLD initiated... but this article stinks of Ricky so much I can smell it up here.

Na, you're absolutely correct. Ricky Stuart is conspiring with the media to try to win the series. Their evil plan is to get a 70-year old former referee to prattle on in the paper, and then hope the refs read the Daily Telegraph and interpret Hartley's column as being instructional. Because if there's anybody that can convince the referees to give up their objectivity and favour one team, it's someone who retired from the job thirty years ago.
What a cunning and evil plan Ricky has come up with. You've blown the case wide open.

Hartley is a dial a quote rusty old dinosaur. He's irrelevant. "Oh, the state of the refs these days. Back in my day, we wore onions on our belt as was the style at the time."

LOL.

Na, you're absolutely correct. Ricky Stuart is conspiring with the media to try to win the series. Their evil plan is to get a 70-year old former referee to prattle on in the paper, and then hope the refs read the Daily Telegraph and interpret Hartley's column as being instructional. Because if there's anybody that can convince the referees to give up their objectivity and favour one team, it's someone who retired from the job thirty years ago.
What a cunning and evil plan Ricky has come up with. You've blown the case wide open.

So it's just a coincidence that this bloke is repeating the same message as Ricky. There is no doubt Stewart is doing everything he can to publicly pressurise the match officials. This simply should not be tolerated it's blatant and unfair on the refs because no matter what happens, save a flogging one way or the other, the losing side can point to a 50 50 call and yell bias.

F@#k I HATE NSW

Hartley, by the way hardly had a clean skin rep when it came to bad calls. HE was suspected of favouring Manly when he reffed and twice in a semi against Parra he gave them 7 tackles whilst attacking the line. He was controversial and loved the limelight that followed with it.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Skyblues87
  • pennywisealfie
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
  • MrRobot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lozza
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.